Thread: Anyone have one of the newer 4" Ruger Redhawk 44 mags?

Default Anyone have one of the newer 4" Ruger Redhawk 44 mags?

I've been thinking about picking one of these up. Anyone have one, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Can you have the square butt rounded off to accomodate other grip options - if so - anyone know where to get this done?

Thanks!

Default Redhawk 4"

It's about time Ruger delivered a 4" Redhawk. Anything you could apply, pro or con to the basic Redhawk model, can be said of this gun. Any competent smith can do a roundbutt on this gun, but I am unsure who makes a roundbutt grip for this gun.

Nope, haven't seen one but I do have a 5 1/2" 44m. These things are made like a tank, only tough. The one I have is very tight and has close tollerances the throats are all .4515"-.4521" And the gap is small. My original plan for this one was to send it off to be converted to a 4" five shot 480 Ruger. I'm kind of hesitant to cut up such a good revolver. I may just equip it with Bowen rough country sights and buy a good holster and keep it as is. Of course that would be cheaper but I still wont have a 480. I want a Redhawk 480 not a Super-Heavy-Redhawk 480, but a slim dainty four inch Redhawk 480. There's no need for such a small caliber to be so heavy. I'll shoot 400 grains at subsonic velocity.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

It would be cheaper to cut down a six shooter SRH 480 to get a short barreled 480 vs having a 5 shot rh made. And suprisingly, the srh is several ounces lighter than the rh, as the srh has the stub grip frame vs the full grip frame of the rh.

There are some other options to slim down the srh as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    It would be cheaper to cut down a six shooter SRH 480 to get a short barreled 480 vs having a 5 shot rh made. And suprisingly, the srh is several ounces lighter than the rh, as the srh has the stub grip frame vs the full grip frame of the rh.

There are some other options to slim down the srh as well.
    Thanks Paul, and your right about the weight. The grip frame of the SRH is one of the things I don't like and the extended frame in front around the barrel is another. I guess it is really just asthetics. Also I really like Hamilton Bowen guns and just want another. He trues everything up and line bores the cylinder, action job, etc. Oh, expensive yes but I just have to sell a couple of others. The five shooters are also smaller around the middle.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy,

No argument there, Hamilton and a few others are the ones to make a gun exactly the way you want it.

My dream 480 is a model 83 w/ 6" octagon barrel and a rounbutted grip frame with black mikarta scales.

I have a SRH in .44mag that's about 2 years old. Nice shooting iron built like a tank, fairly accurate, it's a little heavy but all around I have no complaints. Cant help ya with the rounding and re gripping question though, sorry.

Rick P