Thread: Osprey??

Default Osprey??

A freind of mine has an Old Town Osprey he's wanting to sell and coincidently I'm in the market for a fishing and duck hunting canoe

I know it's light and he says it's pretty stable

I like the oar locks, I'm kind of new to paddling but I know how to row

I went to the old town web site and they say it's stable but I didn't see any they said were UNSTABLE so I'm not really sure what that means

Can anybody tell me what those canoes are good for and what they're bad for? I know I've seen some pretty knowledgeable write ups here

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder View Post
    A freind of mine has an Old Town Osprey he's wanting to sell and coincidently I'm in the market for a fishing and duck hunting canoe

I know it's light and he says it's pretty stable

I like the oar locks, I'm kind of new to paddling but I know how to row

I went to the old town web site and they say it's stable but I didn't see any they said were UNSTABLE so I'm not really sure what that means

Can anybody tell me what those canoes are good for and what they're bad for? I know I've seen some pretty knowledgeable write ups here

Thanks!
    Lots of initial stability, which means the resistance to tipping from its resting position. Not as much secondary stability, which means the increasing resistance to tipping all the way over once it's up on its side. Boats with lots of initial stability are favored by shooters, anglers, photographers, and people who feel a touch uneasy at the mere mention of getting into a canoe. Boats with lots of secondary stability are favored by experienced paddlers who anticipate exposing themselves to large waves and/or rapids. Boats with lots of initial stability and little or no secondary will surprise their occupants at the worst possible moment and throw them into the water with alacrity.

Hull material is Royalex, which is an excellent choice for this type of boat. Tough, substantially lighter than polyethylene, quiet, and warm.

What length is the boat for sale? Osprey comes in 14' and 15'5". Where will you use the boat? Do you anticipate paddling long distances across large lakes? If so, that hull will be relatively slow -- close your eyes when another canoe passes you and it won't feel so bad. If you're looking for something for duck hunting and fishing in sloughs and smaller lakes, Osprey is a good choice.