Thread: Interior...are they gone?

Question Interior...are they gone?

Hey guys, this is my first year waterfowling, I hunt the north pole fairbanks area, I noticed all of the smaller ponds, sloughs and even some of the slower rivers are frozen so im down to one river spot which was AWESOME last week and I only saw 2 the past 3 days..... so is it over? Can we expect more geese and ducks to come thru the area or is it time to hang it up?thanks

Short answer: Yes, the ducks are gone.

Long version: You might still find a few pockets that are holding birds, but the majority are gone. Anything left will be actively migrating, so you might see a few in a pocket one day and nothing after that. This time of year, you have to go south, and even then, the reports aren't great. If you do want to keep trying, my recommendation is to hit bigger water (Tanana, Delta Clearwater, etc), but don't get your hopes up. Most birds scram at the first sight of ice up here.

Good luck!

I'll give it one more go this weekend, but I'm guessing it will be slim pickin' from here on out.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Thanks for the (depressing) info guys, guess its time to get the traps ready or start hunting ptarmigan... I can't belive we only have 5 weeks of real waterfowl season, doesn't seem fair...everyone else (including the lower 48) seems to get to hunt in the snow and ice, but I guess they dont get - 50 either. I would almost want to head down to Anchorage/valdez just to get a chance at my 1st goose

Big water lakes were still open last weekend, there is an opportunity for divers. Tanana was running slush, and not much for birds, though we did see a few swans and mallards resting. Sure is nothing on that river for them to eat. Slow water is mostly frozen, but look for small open areas that migh hold a duck or two. I did see a flight of cranes not too far off the deck Sunday, which surprised me, not sure what their story is. No idea where they were sitting, or why they are just moving.
    I'm in ANC now, drove down Monday. Most of the water along the way was freezing, larger rivers were running slush. Most of the drive was in the dark, so could not make out any birds.
    Maybe it's about time to focus on P-birds and grouse.
    ARR

River Rat wrote a very touching story about his last hunt of the season about this time last year where he got a few ducks, might look that up and follow his example. Hard work and preserverance pays off. Bud
    Wasilla

Glad to hear from you again River Rat, haven't heard from you in a while.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Oh, I'm around and lurking boys. I've been in touch w/ a few of the guys that responded during my journey this past year. Not H20 fowl related, but they say I'm in "remission". Guess that is good, but it is not what I want to hear. There is a 4 letter word more suited to my peace of mind, "CURE". I've been out 3 times this year w/ Roca and Labman. It is good to get to hunt w/ my son again after him being off to college for 4 years. We've done ok on ducks, looking forward to a few more tough runs.
    It is different this year, that's for sure. Having that monkey off my back allows me to relax and focus a bit more. We'll see if I can come up with a story or two for you all to enjoy.
    So a big thanks for all the support you folks sent my way,
    ARR

Glad to see you back as well AKRR..take care and enjoy those times afield.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Oh, I'm around and lurking boys. I've been in touch w/ a few of the guys that responded during my journey this past year. Not H20 fowl related, but they say I'm in "remission". Guess that is good, but it is not what I want to hear. There is a 4 letter word more suited to my peace of mind, "CURE". I've been out 3 times this year w/ Roca and Labman. It is good to get to hunt w/ my son again after him being off to college for 4 years. We've done ok on ducks, looking forward to a few more tough runs.
    It is different this year, that's for sure. Having that monkey off my back allows me to relax and focus a bit more. We'll see if I can come up with a story or two for you all to enjoy.
    So a big thanks for all the support you folks sent my way,
    ARR
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Small world, very small world. I'm in Anchor town at Hazwaste training seminar. Pretty cool stuff, some good folks. I'm sitting on the computer and this guy asks me out of the blue what kind of dogs I run. Huh? How'd he know? In my backpack is a copy of Retrieve Field Trial news he spotted, so we struck up a conversation. Turns out some of you know him as PG13. Very fun, adds to the day to meet a new guy, forum member, and H20 Fowl hunter.
    PG, get that thin skinned dog of yours out for a few birds and write a story, I'm looking forward to it,

ARR