Thread: Minto Moose hunt

Default Minto Moose hunt

Taking my boys out next week to try and get some freezer meat. I didn't get a bull this year. Got a cow tag for Minto Flats and I'd like to take the boys along for their first moose hunt but know zero about the area. Any help? Ideas? Access points? Have four wheelers and strong backs....

The only way to access this area with a 4 wheeler is off the Elliot Highway. The stretch towards the top of Ptarmagin Pass seems to be where most go. Get a topo and it should be clear. I recall there are a number of clear trails that people use in the fall. Make sure you know where the boundary is for the Minto village land as that is private. It's finally cooling off and freezing so water will be real low and boat access will be tough. Good luck.

You can only take your four wheeler if it has tracks on it. Check the regs, i would hate to see you get a ticket or loose the wheeler!!!

Default Re: Minto Moose hunt

Thanks a lot. I'll let you know how we do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by akmush View Post
    The only way to access this area with a 4 wheeler is off the Elliot Highway. The stretch towards the top of Ptarmagin Pass seems to be where most go. Get a topo and it should be clear. I recall there are a number of clear trails that people use in the fall. Make sure you know where the boundary is for the Minto village land as that is private. It's finally cooling off and freezing so water will be real low and boat access will be tough. Good luck.
    Would you expect to see moose up that high this time of year? I'd have to imagine there's open water in the river channel as it's only been cold for a couple of days. Plenty, plenty of water out there when I was duck hunting last weekend.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I'm not a 4 wheeler hunter so I don't know for sure, but I think the trails head off the ridge and drop down towards the flats. Were the rivers noticeably lower when you were out last weekend? Sounds like you could still get around ok.

Where is Ptar pass? I don't see it on the topo.
    Why only tracks on the wheeler? I don't see any mention of wheelers being illegal in the MM Flats Management area description.

I know folks planning to try to get in by boat. Local lakes have skim ice. Might be slushy on the rivers by monday, the opener.
    From what I can find out, isn't very good country for wheelers. If we get a good freeze for a while, maybe then. I'm kinda hoping the hunt stays open long enough to access with snogo.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Depends on where you are:

Minto Flats Management Area - Unit 20B bounded by Elliott Highway beginning at Mile 118, then northeasterly to mile 96, then east to the Tolovana Hotsprings Dome, then east to the Winter Cat Trail, then along the Cat Trail south to the Old Telegraph Trail at Dunbar, then westerly along the trail to a point where it joins the Tanana River three miles upstream from Old Minto, then along the north bank of the Tanana River (including all channels and sloughs except Swan Neck Slough*), to the confluence of the Tanana and Tolovana Rivers and then northerly to the point of beginning. (*Note: The area between Swan Neck Slough and the Tanana River is within the Minto Flats Management Area.) Aircraft or airboats may not be used for moose hunting or to transport moose, moose hunters or moose hunting equipment within the Management Area.

3 Minto Flats State Game Refuge - Use of four-wheelers and other wheeled/ tracked vehicles is generally prohibited within the refuge. Individuals with private inholdings may be permitted to use wheeled vehicles on authorized corridors only for access to and from inholdings. However, a General (public) Permit has been issued authorizing the use of only fully tracked vehicles with a load capacity of 1,500 pounds or less on limited portions of the Dunbar-Livengood and Fairbanks- Manley trails (the eastern and southern boundaries, respectively, of the Minto Flats Management Area) from August 15th through April 30th. From November 1st through April 30th, snowmachines weighing less than 1,000 pounds gross weight may be used anywhere on the refuge given there is at least three inches of frozen mineral soil and a total accumulation to date of three inches of snow. To view the refuge management plan and the General Permits for a complete description of areas authorized for vehicle use, contact the ADF&G Fairbanks office (907-459-7289) or visit the department website at http://hunt.alaska.gov.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I was down the to the Chat off of Murphy Dome this morning and the river has enough ice in it to make it not feasable to access the water. Near my cabin there is approximately 4 feet of channel in the middle of the river and this is in the faster water near the lower landing. The flats appeared to be frozen in. I think to access the flats by boat now is next to impossible.

The river is frozen over enough that boats are not feasible now. the regulations do state that you cannot use rubber tired vehicles in the Minto Flats management area and Minto Flats State game refuge unless you have tracks on them and a permit for access with a tracked vehicle. You can walk in and pack a moose out or wait untill enough snow for snow machines,( i think regulations state 3 inches or more).

Quote Originally Posted by tglynn View Post
    The river is frozen over enough that boats are not feasible now. the regulations do state that you cannot use rubber tired vehicles in the Minto Flats management area and Minto Flats State game refuge unless you have tracks on them and a permit for access with a tracked vehicle. You can walk in and pack a moose out or wait untill enough snow for snow machines,( i think regulations state 3 inches or more).
    3 inches or more of snow, and 3 inches or more of frozen soil AND after november 1

I heard the quite a few permits have been issued so far (300+ according to the rumor I heard). Anyone been out yet? Any success stories? Hope every one is being safe out there in these early winter ice conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by bairdi View Post
    I heard the quite a few permits have been issued so far (300+ according to the rumor I heard). Anyone been out yet? Any success stories? Hope every one is being safe out there in these early winter ice conditions.
    It is somewhat difficult to be successful when the trooper enforcement guy is flying the chopper, R-44, over your hunt area. Landing right next to hunters doesn't help either.
    On friday, F&G in Fbks said current harvest is 5 or 6. Snow will help.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!