Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Ive never caught a grayling. Heading to Fairbanks in the AM.

  1. #1

    Default Ive never caught a grayling. Heading to Fairbanks in the AM.

    I headed up to Fairbanks tomorrow for the weekend.

    Anybody have any advice on any sort of fishing on the way there, or while Im there?
    Doesnt need to be grayling but I would like catch one.

    Ive got the whole day to travel so I'll probably leave before sunrise.
    Also dont mind taking small detours if needed.

    Thanks in advance.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

  2. #2
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Although I have never fished them this late. Chena Hot Springs road, start at Rosehip park and fish all the pulls outs from there on up river. If time and your route allows Delta Clear Water is another option, try the DCW campground. The silvers are in there as well.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  3. #3

    Default

    Oh wow I never knew DCW campground was on the way to Fairbanks.

    I kept reading all these posts about it but for some reason I thought it was much further.

    I'll stop by there tomorrow! Thanks a million.

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Although I have never fished them this late. Chena Hot Springs road, start at Rosehip park and fish all the pulls outs from there on up river. If time and your route allows Delta Clear Water is another option, try the DCW campground. The silvers are in there as well.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

  4. #4
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Oh wow I never knew DCW campground was on the way to Fairbanks.

    I kept reading all these posts about it but for some reason I thought it was much further.

    I'll stop by there tomorrow! Thanks a million.
    DCW is near Delta Junction, so it depends on where you are driving from, still and easy drive from Fairbanks and I often make day trip there and back in a day.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  5. #5

    Default

    Yeah I was way off. It is quite a detour! hahaha

    I just did a google maps search and it looked like a fairly straight drive, but realized its a much longer drive taking that route from Anchorage.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Two Rivers, AK
    Posts
    745

    Default

    I fished pretty far up the Chena a few days ago and it's getting pretty sketchy - given a choice and if I really was focused on catching a fish I'd probably fish further south. Temperatures in the river are peaking in the mid-to-high 30s, and the predictions are for temperatures to continue to drop. That said, I did catch a couple of fish on Tuesday, but frankly, as someone who usually fishes the upper Chena 4-5 days/week, I think I'm done for the season.

  7. #7
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default Ive never caught a grayling. Heading to Fairbanks in the AM.

    Most of the standard parks streams have grayling in them.

  8. #8
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    This time of year most of the grayling seem to head for deeper water (lakes or deep, slow-moving rivers), so the catch rate falls appreciably. I'm not much help with where you should try tomorrow, but if you stick around next summer, we can go catch loads of grayling.














  9. #9

    Default

    Can't give you too many specifics on rivers to fish, but as a helpful hint, the hottest flies for me have always been beadheads with purple wire (either a purple copper john or a purple hotwire prince). Blue has been a close second. My biggest grayling have always been on purple and I don't really know why...

  10. #10
    Member danattherock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,608

    Default

    Late season trips can be fun. Hope you get into a few fish and look forward to hearing either way. There are a few lakes on the Kenai you can hike into that are known for grayling. Late in the season perhaps, but there are some options you might explore if you want to get out. Shoot me a PM if you have the time or interest. Just second hand info, but happy to share of course.


    -Dan

  11. #11
    Member Ak Laker Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Fairbanks,Ak
    Posts
    337

    Default

    went to chatanika this morning ice moved n on banks and slush flowing thru and of course wht fish shee fsh and grays r gone to. 8 f temps dont help

  12. #12

    Default

    man...it is cold here right now! haha!

    Everything is frozen so I didnt get to fish. Unfortunately, the rods I brought are in the corner of the room here and I see them everyday and its just making me miss fishing.

    Maybe I'll try one last trip to the Kenai when I get back to Anchorage.

    Thanks everyone for your advice.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

  13. #13
    Member akiceman25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Two Rivers, AK
    Posts
    1,284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    man...it is cold here right now! haha!

    Everything is frozen so I didnt get to fish. Unfortunately, the rods I brought are in the corner of the room here and I see them everyday and its just making me miss fishing.

    Maybe I'll try one last trip to the Kenai when I get back to Anchorage.

    Thanks everyone for your advice.
    If you're here in Fairbanks with poles you may as well wet a line. Try the Chena just downstream from the power plant accessed either on 1st ave of Phillips Field rd. The warm water discharge should give shore access to the river.

    Keep some hand warmers in your pocket to de-ice the eyes of your pole.

    Do it do it do it!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

  14. #14

    Default

    Thanks! Awesome info. I'll check it out.

    Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    If you're here in Fairbanks with poles you may as well wet a line. Try the Chena just downstream from the power plant accessed either on 1st ave of Phillips Field rd. The warm water discharge should give shore access to the river.

    Keep some hand warmers in your pocket to de-ice the eyes of your pole.

    Do it do it do it!
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

  15. #15
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Use some lip balm on your rod eyes to help with the icing.

    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  16. #16
    Member Goon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Anchorage
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Use some lip balm on your rod eyes to help with the icing.

    Really, lip balm? This would have been handy this past weekend!

  17. #17
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goon View Post
    Really, lip balm? This would have been handy this past weekend!
    The natural bees wax and Carmex are better as some have petroleum products that can break down line. I have read that the dressing you use to float flies works also.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  18. #18
    Member Goon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Anchorage
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Awesome, I had some dry fly floatant in my fly box... Great tip though. I hate having to dip my rod in the water repeatedly and always worry about one of my guide freezing and breaking off.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •