Thread: ABC Brown Bears in November while deer hunting?

Default ABC Brown Bears in November while deer hunting?

Any one have any experience with brown bears on the ABC islands in November while deer hunting? I've only been over to Admiralty a few times in November and I never saw any sign. That said, I've read stories of people being mauled, ect....So aside from the maulings that make the news, I'm curious as to the amount of brown bears people have run into in November. Did you have them coming into the call?

It really depends on the year I think. My dad hunted Pybus Bay on Admiralty for 11 years straight during mid november and they saw one bear once. I've had limited experience on Admiralty, the last time was about 10 years ago, i was hunting just south of Youngs Bay the week before turkey day and there was a fair amount of sign. Perhaps some of our Sitka hunters will chime in.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I've been in and around bears in November while deer hunting. They can be out and about still. It's usually in some kind of snow too. A November bear hide can be very nice too.

I've never actually seen one when hunting in November, but have seen plenty of evidence that they're still out. I've called a couple of brownies in Oct, but never Nov.

From a Vet's Day hunt trip in Seymour Canal:

Interesting...have to say that while I don't have much Admiralty experience, I can say that I haven't seen black bears on Douglas past about the middle of October. Never seen anything but deer in November on Douglas...Thanks for the responses!

I don't know about the islands, but I saw a brownie above Moose Pass at the beginning of the second week of Nov. stripping bushes of their leaves, sitting in 3 feet of snow.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!