Thread: hiking Ketchikan

Default hiking Ketchikan

Hi my family and I will be moving to Ketchikan this summer, we like to hike and fish, the question I have is, all the info on the hiking trails says it is abundant with wildlife, does this include bear, and how common if so?

Some of the trails I am referring to are Deer Mountain, Silvis Lakes, Naha River.

Thanks for any help.

Default Critters

You could see black bear in any of the areas you list. Seeing bear on Deer Mtn. trail is a remote possibility, but not probable. Silvas is also a possibility, but more than likely not.

You could count on seeing bear around Naha, especially if you're there in the fall during the salmon runs. I've run into them numerous times and we've given them a wide berth and they've done the same for us.

I've been hunting and hiking this area for 35 years and have never had too close of encounters. Usually if they hear you 1st- you don't see them.

kingfisherktn

What about the new trail at the north end of Tongass Highway. Lunch Creek or something? When we lived out on South Point Higgins we had black bears in the yard, often. Can't you also hike up Whipple Creek Rd?
    I've run across a few bears out there too.

I've only seen a couple of bears over the years at the end of the road trail and that has been in the fall and the bears I've seen at Whipple have all been in the clear-cuts.

thanks alot

If you want to see bears, at least when I was there in the early 90's, you could go to the dump/landfill. I saw about 50 bears there and countless bald eagles. The closest I ever got to a bear was there, as it came around a big stump. We were about 45 feet apart, and I think we both had the same look on our faces.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

The best place to see bears while out hikiing is down at Herring Cove. But since they put that tourist trap in it's kind of hard to find a good viewing place. Sometimes at low tide you can see them from the bridge. I've also seen them right there in the tidal zone at low tide. Just watch your tide books.

Default Seeing Bears?

I'm a little confused, do you want to see bears or because of spouse would rather not see bears? If you want bears there are plenty of places to do that.

kingfisherktn