Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear Hunt this weekend need some ideas

Default Bear Hunt this weekend need some ideas

Well finally have some time to get out and about this weekend after returning back from Afghanistan. I was thinking about heading up to my normal stomping grounds (trapper creek area) but I figure by now most of the blackies will be well into the hills which I will not be able to get to with the time frame I have to hunt. Was looking into the chickaloon or hope area but I have to tap the reg book to ensure the season will match. My hunting will be on foot as I do not have access to a wheeler/argo so I have to plan accordingly. Usually my knees can hold up for about 15-20 miles total per day. So if anyone has a few suggestions as to what direction I should be heading it would be great as my goal is to put some meat in the freezer to lower the dang grocery bills at the house. I know I need to head to the berry fields and hill tops but not sure if our early snow fall we had in the valley might have pushed them into their hibernation phase yet.

Thanks in advance I am excited to finally try out my new Tikka T3 30.06

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

I don't know about the mountains north of Anchorage, but the bears are still out in full force down in the Kenai Mountains. We've been seeing black bears every weekend - at times four on the same mountainside.

Hmmm may have to take a drive down that way and see what I can dig up just reading through the regs right now to make sure im in a legal area

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    Hmmm may have to take a drive down that way and see what I can dig up just reading through the regs right now to make sure im in a legal area
    You can "ONLY" (Hehehehe) harvest three, and no closed season. The biggest problem now is the fog, remember to have Harvest tickets.

I would love to bag 3 since I missed out on baiting season due to my deployment but i will be more than happy with 1 in the freezer and i always carry my tags

I would love to bag 3 since I missed out on baiting season due to my deployment but i will be more than happy with 1 in the freezer and i always carry my tags
    It was, no closed season & no limit with no harvest ticket required. Which is why I mention the harvest ticket, I always forget that Black bear now requires a ticket.

Well AGL if you need a removed from your area in hope I would be glad to remove them for ya

Well AGL if you need a removed from your area in hope I would be glad to remove them for ya
    None in the yard this week. they are half way up the mountains, none on the beach either. I would suggest Summit Pass drainages. Summit Creek, Slate Creek, Colorado Creek, Mills Creek.

Is blackbear meat still good this late? I thought after the salmon runs it's not worth eating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth Hunter View Post
    Is blackbear meat still good this late? I thought after the salmon runs it's not worth eating.
    More about what they are eating than time of year. Fall berry bears taste gooooood!!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth Hunter View Post
    Most of those Black Bears that live in the high country, have never seen a fish.

Yep, the meat off the bear my wife took three weeks ago is excellent! My hands were stained blue after butchering it, and that sweetness from the berries comes through in the meat. Fall bears up in the alpine are the best as far as I'm concerned.

and after the wife said if I do not go kill a bear and fill the freezer she is going mall shopping i have to pull all of the stops out and make sure i come home with one or i will be stuck eating romen noodles for the next two weeks haha

Fox,

If you are out to put meat in the freezer, I would listen to AGL and head to Hope. He puts on too many posts about bears around to disregard his advice.

Randy

NhRaFOX, first off thank you for your service. Glad you made it back safe.
    Yes, PM AGL, he may be just the guy to put you on a Black Bear.

All, thanks for the info good to know. Now I have more ammunition to support my hunting addiction. The wife will love it!

is there a gate across the road back to mills creek? seems to me somebody mentioned that here a while back. i have'nt been there in three years or so.

Default Bear Hunt this weekend need some ideas

Not sure if there is a gate or not, but it is non-motorized regardless except for those who have mining claims up there

As for Hope, there are lots of bears, but the terrain does not lend itself to spot and stalk hunting. Far better to stick to the areas off the Seward and Sterling highways, in my opinion

Always good to carry and use a predator call when Black Bear hunting, You might call up other neat trophies.

yah I have a few predator calls I will be bringing 2 of which called in bears for me last year before deployment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast