Thread: OK Smitty you was right!

Default OK Smitty you was right!

You once talked about Weatherby rifles and how good they felt when shouldered. Remember that? You also been badgering my arse bout guns and rifle shells what hold a boolit that is .284 inches fat.

I bought a rifle a while back just because it felt so very goot when I shouldered it. The drop in the stock was near perfect for quick sight alignment, the balance was great..... I just got that " man I really like this thing" feeling! The rifle also had some letters on the floor plate the read "SUBMOA", which meant it was spose to shoot more better than the cheaper version. The draw back(then but not now) was the cartridge that the gun was chambered for......7mm-08. I bought the gun for a hundred dollars less than they were selling for on Gunbroker so was happy. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, maybe JES would rebore it to another 358 Winchester which is one of my favoritest rounds. I had 7-08 dies so being anxious to shoot the gun I sized some 243 brass up so they would hold some of them .284 boolits that Ole Smitty was all ga-ga over. I loaded up some Hornady 139 grainers and headed for the big shade tree at the trigger tripping end of my private gun range.

That day at the range had to be one of the most positive shoot days ever for me. The 2 stage trigger on that little Weatherby was absolutely perfect. I did something that day that I wasn't acustomed to doing, I broke in a new barrel in accordance with the manufactures recomendations. It was a tedious affair but it was a nice day and I had a cooler full of Coca-colas on ice and all day to do it. At the end of the day I was all smiles. SUBMOA turned out to be SUB1/2MOA with the first batch of the only load the gun will ever need to shoot that being the afore mentioned bullet on top of 42 grains of R15. It took 6 hrs to shoot those 50 rounds(a half hour nap under that big cotton wood figured in)and it only ended cuz I was out of ammo.

Yup Smitty you were right on two accounts. The Weatherby is dandy rifle and though I've yet to draw blood with a .284 bullet I've got a feeling there will be no looking back! Anybody need some 270 dies?

Wow, what a day you had ! Congratulations on the new rifle.

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I did something that day that I wasn't acustomed to doing, I broke in a new barrel in accordance with the manufactures recomendations. It was a tedious affair but it was a nice day and I had a cooler full of Coca-colas on ice and all day to do it. At the end of the day I was all smiles. SUBMOA turned out to be SUB1/2MOA with the first batch of the only load the gun will ever need to shoot that being the afore mentioned bullet on top of 42 grains of R15. It took 6 hrs to shoot those 50 rounds(a half hour nap under that big cotton wood figured in)and it only ended cuz I was out of ammo.?
    These are words of encouragement, because my wife's new 280 Remington arrived last Friday. The rifle was made by Lex Webernick from Rifles Inc. and is a fine looking specimen in deed. I'm all set to go to the range on Saturday and look forward to breaking in this new barrel just exactly as stated. It's suppose to be in the 70's and it may take me all day but it's going to be a lot of fun. Being a .284 I hope I can report the same findings.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    You once talked about Weatherby rifles and how good they felt when shouldered. Remember that? You also been badgering my arse bout guns and rifle shells what hold a boolit that is .284 inches fat.

I bought a rifle a while back just because it felt so very goot when I shouldered it. The drop in the stock was near perfect for quick sight alignment, the balance was great..... I just got that " man I really like this thing" feeling! The rifle also had some letters on the floor plate the read "SUBMOA", which meant it was spose to shoot more better than the cheaper version. The draw back(then but not now) was the cartridge that the gun was chambered for......7mm-08. I bought the gun for a hundred dollars less than they were selling for on Gunbroker so was happy. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, maybe JES would rebore it to another 358 Winchester which is one of my favoritest rounds. I had 7-08 dies so being anxious to shoot the gun I sized some 243 brass up so they would hold some of them .284 boolits that Ole Smitty was all ga-ga over. I loaded up some Hornady 139 grainers and headed for the big shade tree at the trigger tripping end of my private gun range.

That day at the range had to be one of the most positive shoot days ever for me. The 2 stage trigger on that little Weatherby was absolutely perfect. I did something that day that I wasn't acustomed to doing, I broke in a new barrel in accordance with the manufactures recomendations. It was a tedious affair but it was a nice day and I had a cooler full of Coca-colas on ice and all day to do it. At the end of the day I was all smiles. SUBMOA turned out to be SUB1/2MOA with the first batch of the only load the gun will ever need to shoot that being the afore mentioned bullet on top of 42 grains of R15. It took 6 hrs to shoot those 50 rounds(a half hour nap under that big cotton wood figured in)and it only ended cuz I was out of ammo.

Yup Smitty you were right on two accounts. The Weatherby is dandy rifle and though I've yet to draw blood with a .284 bullet I've got a feeling there will be no looking back! Anybody need some 270 dies?
    EKC:
    You certainly have a way with words.

I especially like your Titles.

You should be able to sell those 270 dies. There are still a few backward folks out there who use 270s.

OR, keep them for Collectors Items.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Love it - the cartridge, the accuracy, the rifle and the break-in. Cool report.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

EKC:
    Granted, the rifle is a good shooter, but here I hear agin of great accuracy using a load of R15.

Everytime I turn around, I hear of great success using R15.

I've been using H414 for my 7x57s which is a cartridge very similar to 7mm-08.

I guess, I should go ahead and try summa that R15.

It's gittin COLD up this way. I don't feel a bit sorry for them skeeters. Lett'em die.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post

You should be able to sell those 270 dies. There are still a few backward folks out there who use 270s.

OR, keep them for Collectors Items.

Smitty of the North
    Now that was funny!

Yeah, I'm one of those old guys that still use a 270Win on occassion. What surprises even me is how that little tiny .277 bullet can take a moose right off his feet almost as good as that big fat .284 bullet. Must be the better BC or some other witch craft or ballistic mumbo jumbo. I don't need the dies though as I already have a set.

First 270 I saw was when a cousin brought one to hunt with us, everybody mocked him about his cute little bullets. He hunted with me horse back and we jumped a mule deer right behind us. He spun off to get a quick shot, I was trying to tell him to weight because they usually only went to the next ridge then stop to look at ya. He didnít, he shot it in the backside as it ran away from 100 foot away. You know that little 270 bullet of his went in the right butt and all the way through to the left front shoulder! Made a mess of the deer but nobody teased him about his cute little bullets anymore.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    First 270 I saw was when a cousin brought one to hunt with us, everybody mocked him about his cute little bullets. He hunted with me horse back and we jumped a mule deer right behind us. He spun off to get a quick shot, I was trying to tell him to weight because they usually only went to the next ridge then stop to look at ya. He didnít, he shot it in the backside as it ran away from 100 foot away. You know that little 270 bullet of his went in the right butt and all the way through to the left front shoulder! Made a mess of the deer but nobody teased him about his cute little bullets anymore.
    Well there is something to be said about that "little" .277 slug with the poop of an 06' behind it. Can't hardly argue with near magnum velocities without the belt.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!