Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $500K boat question

Default $500K boat question

To those of you on this board whom are seasoned AK fishing and outdoor veterans if someone gave you $500K to buy a fishing boat what make/model would you buy? I'm curious as to what types are available in this price category, even though I know little about AK boating, I'm very interested for the years to come with fishing in our most beautiful state, AK.

Thats easy. Would contract a build with SeaWolf for a $400K boat and save the other 100K for fuel and upkeep.

Or a custom GC. I'm sure that you'd have a couple of bucks left over for fuel...

I think that I would take the money and invest it until I can retire, sell my GC and purchase a 45 to 50 foot Nordhaven.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

It would help to know the what, where & how you planned to use the boat. Do you want a fast 30' boat to cruise Prince William Sound for a weekend or do you want to cruise long distance locations for a month at a time. Do you plan on trailering or leaving it in the water all winter? $500k gives you lots of options.

Do I also have $$ for upkeep? I guess if I was independently wealthy and had $500K to blow on a boat it would probably be a big Armstrong Cat or one of the big Seawolf's or similar big fancy Alu boat. I can think of a few I would like to have, heck with that much I cold get one nice one and then have a couple smaller ones for other fun.... now you just have me dreaming.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Pacific mariner , fathom, Selene, nordhavnn. List goes on

If i had to spend all that money on watercraft I would buy an airboat, then a jet boat, then an ocean boat, then a dingy for the ocean boat, then a sprint boat, then a freighter canoe, then jet ski, then a.... Hmm how much money do I have left over?

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    If i had to spend all that money on watercraft I would buy an airboat, then a jet boat, then an ocean boat, then a dingy for the ocean boat, then a sprint boat, then a freighter canoe, then jet ski, then a.... Hmm how much money do I have left over?
    Reminds me of a house boat I saw on Lake Cumberland in Kentucky once. A big old house boat. Had 2 jet skis on board a inflatable dingy with a 10 horse and had some sort of tow bar deal pulling a bass boat.

Use it as a down payment on a Grumman Albatross with jet skis as the sponsons. I've seen it done, amazing and the perfect Alaskan do all.

http://www.albatrosslady.com/about.htm
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd bank it and just charter off the interest or pay the expenses for my buddies to go out with them !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I'd bank it and just charter off the interest or pay the expenses for my buddies to go out with them !!
    Says the guy with the nicest boat on the water.

Well thanks for that and when are we going fishing ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Realisticly, for that much and no saving it or using extra for up keep, just flat cost of the vessel; I would look at a Ocean Roamer or Coastal Craft. Nordhaven would be more that 5 I would think.

Default Go Used

If you went with a used vessel, you could get something that prices out near a million new.
    Go get a couple of yacht and commercial vessel magazines and find a good used one.
    New custom boats are ridiculously expensive v.s. used regardless of price range..................
    And after only one or two seasons...............your "new" boat is now a "used" boat anyway.

I'd be all over a nice BayWeld boat for that kind of money.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I think that I would take the money and invest it until I can retire, sell my GC and purchase a 45 to 50 foot Nordhaven.
    Nordhaven.... Wow that is a nice one. I have been researching and dreaming about one for a couple years now. There are some great blogs from owners and there travels. I'll be your deck hand if you need!

I guess that all depend on what do you want to do with the boat. Day Trips? Weekend Trips? Short Runs? Long distance Cruising? # of average passengers? Fishing or Cruising? If I inherited 500K for a boat, I would buy a nice used well maintained 42 foot trawler with all the comforts of home, have all new deisel sipping engines (2 GPH Max) put in and use the rest of the money for fuel and maintenance. Basically a floating RV. I think that 500K would last me my lifetime.

I was referring to a fishing boat much like the one I saw at Crackerjack's dock. Big, very fast with comfort inside.

Custom Lowell Brother's lobster yacht, Custom boat built by Peter Kass, or a custom duffy from Atlantic Boat Company.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast