Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kuiu's moving overseas

Default Kuiu's moving overseas

http://blog.kuiu.com/2012/10/10/vertical-supply-chain/
    evidently by using Toray's production capabilities in China Kuiu will have better quality, advanced fabrics, more in stock all at the same price.

But will quality suffer....
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    But will quality suffer....
    The owner says quality will improve

i was talking about it with my wife and she said that moving to China didn't work out for xtra tuff couldn't really argue with her about that

I have enough other things on my wish list that there should be plenty of reviews on quality of the overseas goods until then I have my made in Canada spindrift

A repeat of Sitka Gear all over!

Not a surprise at all, this is what all these guys do: Start with a very high quality brand, get the hard core users to buy it and make you feel like family, drive up demand and then take the easier road: avoid investing in machines and people and ship it overseas. Note how he uses the phrases "big win" and "vertical integration" in his blog. These are the buzz words these guys use to make you feel better about their decision to take the easier (note: not easy, it's just much easier than setting up shop in the USA) road, reduce jobs and investment in the US and ship them overseas. It is a big win for him and his investor's pocket book and potentially for customers who want Kuiu gear but can't buy it. Funny he writes how it will reduce their lead time by 8 to 12 months. If his lead times were that far out, regardless of where the garments were made, he had a terrible production system to begin with. I've worked in sewn products for a very long time, that's a ridiculous lead time.

His quality very well may go up but, like he says in his blog, his costs will not go down. Add shipping, much larger minimum order quantities (cash flow killer), tons of inspection to make sure they make the garments right in the future, larger warehouse, etc.. You have to hammer the facilities in Asia or they will send you crap, happens all the time to all the big name outdoor gear manufacturers. You'd be surprised how much high end outdoor gear gets tossed in the trash that they can't even sell to Sierra Trading Post.

I'm a hypocrite: most or all of my gear is made in Asia and I can't say I blame him for what he's doing, it's just unfortunate. It's very difficult to set up a volume production shop in the US, but you can do it, especially if you're selling direct to the consumer. When he was at Sitka they had absolute nightmares with Asian production and quality, so he will be better prepared to deal with it this time. Depending on who his investors are and how much return they want you might see this trend continue with selling through "select" retailers and broadening distribution.

The good news is that they opened up another slot for a high quality, US made, hard core outdoor gear.

Is Kryptec made in USA?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Nahh almost nothing is made American made. Too expensive. Go figure lol
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by mt al View Post
    You'd be surprised how much high end outdoor gear gets tossed in the trash that they can't even sell to Sierra Trading Post.
    So what's your point here....are you saying that all the stuff at STP is crap...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Well I just grabbed a set of guide pants before they sell out of them. I guess I can get the last piece of the system before all the china crap arrives. I wonder if the packs and frames are going to be made in china now as well. I was considering one of their packs for next year, but definitely going with Kifaru if this is the case.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Companies keep going to China to supposedly lower "their" costs, but it does nothing for "your" cost. How cool is that?

Quote Originally Posted by mt al View Post
    Not a surprise at all, this is what all these guys do: Start with a very high quality brand, get the hard core users to buy it and make you feel like family, drive up demand and then take the easier road: avoid investing in machines and people and ship it overseas. Note how he uses the phrases "big win" and "vertical integration" in his blog. These are the buzz words these guys use to make you feel better about their decision to take the easier (note: not easy, it's just much easier than setting up shop in the USA) road, reduce jobs and investment in the US and ship them overseas
    . ....The good news is that they opened up another slot for a high quality, US made, hard core outdoor gear.
    Methinks you may be right. Quite possible it was a plan from the beginning.

The company I work for started some Chinese manufacturing facilities...the QA rejection rate was simply unbelievable. In the end we were basically buying machined scrap.

With a product demand that high, lead times that long, and quality that important- invest some money, build the factory in your backyard where you can watch it like a vengeful hawk and reap ALL the economic profits for decades. Oops...sorry, my 1950's sense of economics kicked in there for a minute.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

this is a flip flop of his trademark to kuiu which was "made in america". he toted using the best materials, factories, and craftsmanship in the world, which as of a day ago was in the U.S.A. and Canada. Hmmmm, i see through the smoke and mirrors.....

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Is Kryptec made in USA?
    Not made in the US but Alaskan owned if that means anything to you

I was debating between kryptek and kuiu the made in NAmerica was a big plus for kuiu, now...

KUIU isnt a USA company other then base operations its a MADE IN CANADA so if they can meet demand and provide better quality O well........I totally agree with i would rather see things made here in the USA but it seems that our country makes it way to easy for everyone to run overseas and then sell back here......

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    Hope my Patagonia camo setup doesn't eventually get shipped overseas.
    Which camo?

Just another California outfit using Alaska names to impress the public.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I was just on their website last night debating on what I wanted to order for next year. Reading reviews and such on Kuiu and Sitka Gear... This has made up my mind for sure! Now I'm back to the drawing board on good quality, lightweight, made in the USA gear.

I could care less is something is made in China and it costs $100. When you make a jacket in China and demand $300 (or more) for it my butt begins to hurt.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I own about everything that has been made in china, canada, vietnam, to USA. if it does what I want and stands up to the abuse I give it then it is good quality gear. I also have KUIU and SITKA gear and like it. I wish it was still made here in USA, but also understand the big picture and choices he has to make as a business man.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by agoyne View Post
    I'm back to the drawing board on good quality, lightweight, made in the USA gear.
    American made is a thing of the past. It's all about dollars as sense.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast