Thread: Would like opinions on moose hunting

Default Would like opinions on moose hunting

So I was up hunting my DM920 permit from 13-20 sep, the weather was piss poor it was either heavy rain, windy, or snowing sometimes all 3 at once. the weather staayed the same throughout the hunt, we only had like 2 days where the weather was descent and it was only descent for either a few hours in morning or evening. The best calm cool morning provided a bull moose by camp that a few rafters were stalking.
    Anyhow we hiked all around found numerous tracks and sign called and called but never got a responce (one we heard anyway). Over all it was dishearting hunt,moose wise, we did get jumped by a cow and calf being chased by 3 grey wolves in a willow thicket which allone was pretty cool to see (didnt get a shot at wolves)
    Anyhow my question and really would like other peoples opinion on is, was the weather the key factor, my hunting partner and I came to a polite disagreement, I said the moose were still around but not vocal and moving because the weather was bad and they must be holding up in timber and thickets, my partner says he thinks the moose all moved out of the area. Looking at the harvest reports for the permit area I found 90% of the moose that were harvested in past years where taken between the 12 a-23 sep. That is why we selected the dates of our hunt.
    It was a great time regardless I do plan on putting in for the hunt another time and would like to learn from this experience. I guess thats why we call it hunting and not shooting

Moose were still around, they don't run away from the weather. However, they do have migration routes also and tend to move out of the mtns as the weather drives them down.
    Sooo, you could both be correct!
    BK

In my experience when the weather is unsettled it is much more difficult to get a handle on what moose are doing. Stable weather patterns seem to make them more predictable.

As for where they were, well, apparently somewhere you weren't. They are rather clever about not being seen when they don't want to be, and rain and wind dulls and masks their senses so they seem to be less willing to expose themselves.

You aren't the only one frustrated by the weather in the second half of september. I think it helped more than a few bulls get through the season alive.

I thought it was relatively easy hunt. Saying goes "I'd rather be lucky than good" Maybe I was one of the lucky ones?
    Two settings was able to call in two nice bulls.
    First bull I called, was less than 30 yrds away, had three semi palmated brows one side and four on the other. Around 52 -54"
    Second bull I called, had 2 long spear like brows each side and measured just under 50".
    Best part about the second bull it dropped .8 miles from the road. Meat taste GREAT!

Ohhhh the moose are there. At least each time I went out. Used pop up blind to stay out of the rain. Worked great!!

personally I think your dates were spot on imho! Though I would opt for later if i could get it you should have had rutting activity.

I'm sure the weather, moon phase, wind etc play effects on how active and responsive animals are. one day they want nothing to do with you and tomorrow they come like they are on a string.

I remember when i started hunting that area before it was a draw. A local from wiseman made a comment that these are mountain moose. That remark on migrations is exactly spot on! I killed my first bull higher up than I did my first ram!

Wind, rain/sleet/snow also will make it much harder to hear a bull grunting. Raking with an oil can can really produce some sound at a loooong distance! Calling is a slow game normally and at times we've had bulls show up the next day with 0 calling provoked. Either they just took their time coming or they were a long ways off! A full oil can can really reach out and touch some ears!!!

That unit is not a high density area. Unlike other areas being on a ton of bulls is typically not going to happen though it can. We used to and continue to see 1's and 2's here and there though I've atleast noticed less and and less animals as a hole. Last year was a good year imho atleast in bulls spotted for me over a very short time! Typical having 0 tag produces the most sightings/encounters !

Over all the later you go I think the better! I've heard that a slight warming trend after a cold spell really gets them cranking during the rut. Where I prefer a nice cool to cold morning, most of our success calling atleast in the guide camp I was in seemed to be on warmer weather for whatever reason so it fit the bill though I dont think it to be 100% reliable. They come when they want and they laugh in our faces the rest of the time. Its what makes it so fun!

Quote Originally Posted by ramdap View Post
    I thought it was relatively easy hunt. Saying goes "I'd rather be lucky than good" Maybe I was one of the lucky ones?
    Two settings was able to call in two nice bulls.
    First bull I called, was less than 30 yrds away, had three semi palmated brows one side and four on the other. Around 52 -54"
    Second bull I called, had 2 long spear like brows each side and measured just under 50".
    Best part about the second bull it dropped .8 miles from the road. Meat taste GREAT!
    Congrats it just didnt pan out for me and my buddy, we called and called numerous days from same spot where we found rubs and tracks and just dint have anything come to our calls, and if they were answering i dint hear them.
    I had a great time and well as a saying goes a bad day of hunting is still better then a day at work

I can't speak to your area directly, but had issues this year with nonresponsive bulls. Our group of four has taken two (our imposed limit) within the first three days of hunting for the last three years, and previously I had never hunted more than a day and a half for my first two bulls.(and also not in a high density area....see a mooose shoot a moose)

Fast forward to this year. I went earlier than usual but stayed just as late, hiked miles and miles, savagely beat dozens of trees and bushes, glassed miles and miles of shoreline, actually got up early, even hunted late a few times.....easily put more time in the woods this year than I have for my last 5 bulls TOTAL. Now, my record has been wonderful, lots of luck involved as well, and I knew this year was coming eventually, but it definitely hurt that so much effort couldn't trump the fact that they weren't moving, and weren't coming to the call.

Our group pulled one dinky paddle bull, I saw a few at a loooong ways away but couldn't judge antlers with binocs (or shoot 400 yards in good conscience) and never heard a single grunt, scrape or bawl. Twice my partner and I shot one within an hour of starting our first call session....this year all I got was sore hands from beating trees. Next year, you may be swimming in legal bulls.....never know with these goofy swamp donkeys. We thought we had it all figured out, know the area like the backs of our hands, had NO competition, sign was okay, and still worked our tail off for one suicidal paddle bull. (a story in itself).

IMHO weather affects the hunters more then the hunted..

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

1, they taste great
    2, they are tasty
    3,make great meals...

thats my opinon
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Bulls don't like moving in the rain or the wind. IMO they can't hear as well as they like.

Also IMO in the areas with record snow last winter bull antlers were smaller than normal. My theory is spring feed went to replenishing body mass instead of antlers.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author