Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pick My Square Stern Canoe

Default Pick My Square Stern Canoe

OK guys all the talk of square stern canoes got me thinking. I donít want a 20 footer as I often hunt alone. I need to be able to get it up into the SeaSport. I also need something out on PWS in the bays and going to the bear stand and maybe solo moose hunting. So I am considering four 15' options:

Esquif Cargo 95 pounds rated 3hp load 800 lbs. Rolex

Clipper 72 pounds rated 3-4 hp load 1,000 lbs. Fiberglass

Old Town Sport 113 pounds rated 5 hp load 1,600-1,700 lbs. Polyethylene

Scott Makobe 100 pounds rated 4-6 hp load 1,147 pounds. Fiberglass

So what is everyoneís opinion of each and which one would you choose?

PS: I am an experienced canoeist and have been for 44 years. I have been able to run Class III in an Old Town Pack!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I bought the Old Town Sport back in 1995 and it has served me very well.
    Mine is a 13 footer at 98 pounds and I run a 3 HP Gamefisher.
    It also rows very well/efficiently and easy to control.
    I can load two bird dogs, a friend and all our gear and it gets the job done.
    I too often hunt alone and I'm able to manage getting it in and out of the pickup by my self.
    Good Luck with your decision.

Don't have any of them but if I were buying it would be Scott or Oldtown. Bigger real load and bigger motor for big water.The rips we can get into while in salt water can make a 5hp fight to hold ground.I believe the Scott or Oldtown would both handle a 9.9hp 2 stroke and keep you out of trouble.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

For salt use I would buy a inflatable, Saturn Kaboat 15' or the 16'. 10 PSI floor makes it like a rigid boat.
    Run a 8-10 HP. Pretty impressive little boat.

I had a 17ft sport at one time, ended up trading if for something else that I wanted more at the time. I just recently picked up a Makobe (could have gotten a 15ft sport for less $$), the main reason I went with the Makobe over the sport was the transom. If you look at the Sport and the Makobe you will notice a big difference in the width of the transom, you will have a good bit more room in the back of the Makobe, actually the transom is almost the same width as my Hudson Bay, this extra width will give you more engine options and also allow you to "adjust" how you set the engine a little better. Another thing to consider is the nose on both boats, the Makobe has a considerably higher front than the Sport. Just my .02

Seems like the nearest place to buy a Scott or Esquif is Whitehorse.

I'd recommend you have a conversation with your fellow moderator Max. Is his username AlaskaCanoe? I think so.

if this going to be used in Sait water you should get a inflatable small boat a lot more stable in big water an getting in an out of your big boat when by your self

Sold my zodiac when I got my canoe and would not go back.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    if this going to be used in salt water you should get a inflatable small boat a lot more stable in big water an getting in an out of your big boat when by your self
    I have a swim step platform on the back so getting into and out is not an issue. You can't paddle a raft like a canoe and there are many small bays out there to explore. Beside bears can deflate inflatables.

So what did you buy??

I bought a coleman 17 foot square stern this Fall..used it one trip, and just sold it.. so watching feedback here for another idea...

the old town sport sounds interesting...

I think the Makobe stands out on top. It has a wider stern, lighter than the Old Town with just a little lighter capacity. I already sent an email to a dealer in Whitehorse for a price.

The second choice would be the Old Town. Thirteen pounds heavier but can carry about 300 more pounds. I can also order it in Anchorage I hope.

The Clipper seems too pricey. But have not heard what the Makobe is going to be yet.

Part of the use in carrying my High Banker/dredge around so the room in the Makobe still stands out.

Looked at a Makobe this spring here in Whitehorse. I have a Hudson Bay and have loved it. The Makobe is not terribly elegant but it's built like a tank with a very wide transom. It's stiff as hell and I'd bet you could use more horsepower than given by the rating... It's quite deep, and seems like a cross between a motor boat and a canoe.

The bigger Scotts are much lovelier but I am sure the Makobe would do a lot of work for you. Scott seems to be pretty conservative on their capacity rating...I would bet it carries as much real world cargo as the Old Town.

Seems to me they are about 2000 by the time they get to WH. Sometimes if you order now for next year they give you a break on the price.

A good tool for comparing and contrasting various square sterns is here.

http://www.canoeing.com/canoes/speci...quarestern.htm

If I was ever to get a smaller freighter it would be a Clipper MacKenzie 18 footer. Very nice!

Thanks for posting the link for comparing Sq stern canoes!

Hey Daveinthebush, Send me a pm with your email included. I'll send you some pics of an Esquif that I bought in Whitehorse a couple of years ago. I modified it a wee bit, it is very rigid, hauls a hell of a load, stays dry and is a joy to paddle. I'm running an eight horse on it....

Dave,

The old town goes to 800ish pound with a motor, the 1100lb load capacity is motor free.

Curious what you get, I'm also in that market! I have 2 8hp motors in the garage waiting for a freighter as of this fall.

There's a fella running an Esquif Rangely 17 and loves it. I referred him to that model and he's had good luck on the Yukon and other rivers this season. I honestly find that boat to be a bit better due to the spine bolted under the seats. I did this to the entire belly of mine, as some center rigidity was all that was needed. Now, I wish I had brought that spine all the way to the stern due to the stress cracks in the stern. Easily repairable but it angers me to spend over $2,700 on a boat (gas included to drive all the darn way to whitehorse) and have to spend more money to get it suitable for the conditions I run. The stern area of the Esquif Cargo is weak, as is the belly. It desperately needed stiffening all the way from the belly, to the stern. Royalex aint as tough as folks claim, especially when cold......it gets brittle on the inside stiffening layer.

With that said, after running it for one hunting season, it worked. With an entire bull moose, my son, and a malamute aboard.....it was VERY stable. The boat actually had a good bit of free board too. Overall, I wanted more cargo capacity and I missed my Taiga Creek 18 footer, but yah gotta make due with what yah got, especially when you've cut your canoe in about a dozen pieces. If anybody wants a cargo, I'll epoxy/glass the inside of it and have it ready for sale, it works, but I've dreamed up a better recipe for the conditions I run.

Attached Images Attached Images

Looken good young man.

North61 As you grow older functional is better than beauty. What good would Angelina Jolie be on a moose hunt if she could not paddle the canoe, skin moose and help set up camp. Worthless!

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    North61 As you grow older functional is better than beauty. What good would Angelina Jolie be on a moose hunt if she could not paddle the canoe, skin moose and help set up camp. Worthless!

well, I wouldn't say worthless. I'd find something for her to do.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast