Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Question

Default Gun Question

Going through the archieves I noticed alot of callers are using the mini 14. Is there a reason for using over the AR or is it equal across the board?

As far as a stock gun goes there the same in performance if they both shoot straight to begin with. Barrel differences could change that some what. The Mini-14 is usually cheaper to purchase but the AR has many more options available to you. I think it just comes down to preference or what you have in the safe.

The mini-14s i've been around have not been very accurate. I suspect the same can be said of a variety of ARs however with the parts availablity guys are building ARs which are much more accurate than the ones i've been around.

My personal choice is the AR, working on building one right now!

I must have gotten a bad Mini, as it is acceptably accurate.. The barrels are rather slender which is where, I believe the accuracy issue comes in to play. However i doubt you are planning to dump a 30rd mag into a coyote, so it probably wouldn't be an issue...
    However if you are considering an AR, why not use the same $$$ to buy a nice bolt action that is truly capable of fine accuracy?

reuben...

Don't know how new yours is but its rumored they have worked out a lot of the accuracy issues with them in the newer ones.

I agree, unless you have a particular affinity or need for a semi-auto, a good bolt gun can be had for quite a bit less than a good AR and around the same price as a mini-14.

Quote Originally Posted by reuben_j_cogburn View Post
    However if you are considering an AR, why not use the same $$$ to buy a nice bolt action that is truly capable of fine accuracy?
    That's where I've always found myself. I am no firearms expert - far from it, actually - but I don't understand why people buy ARs for hunting. Is it because they look cool? I just don't see the advantage.

Default Gun Question

Quote Originally Posted by reuben_j_cogburn View Post
    I must have gotten a bad Mini, as it is acceptably accurate.. The barrels are rather slender which is where, I believe the accuracy issue comes in to play. However i doubt you are planning to dump a 30rd mag into a coyote, so it probably wouldn't be an issue...

reuben...
    My AR15performance built 6.8spc will empty a 10 round magazine under controlled fire into 1.5" from the bench. 5 shot cloverleaves are pretty common. The AR when built right is capable of fine accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    That's where I've always found myself. I am no firearms expert - far from it, actually - but I don't understand why people buy ARs for hunting. Is it because they look cool? I just don't see the advantage.
    As Lujon said if built right they can be extremely accurate. They are fairly light, easy to carry and lets not forget 30 rounds of varmit killing capacity. The AR plateform is a very fast weapon to aim and shoot. Follow up shots are just a trigger pull away. I don't hunt hoofed animals with one but they are great varmint rifles.
    There are great debates about the use of service weapons for hunting. It comes down to what someone is comfortable shooting. I enjoy magazine capacity and fast shot atributes. I'm sure some do it because they think it gives them some cool points but there are poindexters in every crowd.

Don't get me wrong.. I like AR's... I like AK's too, and am espicially fond on my SKS para "M"..... but I think that a bolt would still provide the best accuracy less overall work..... thats just an opinion. I'm all for hunting with any of these guns and not one bit prejudiced.. (I pretty much like them all!)
    In fact I look a nice black bear this year with my SKS....
    My mini does fine as long as you don't dump a full mag and expect it to keep tight groups....Mine is fairly early... I boght it used in 84.... Nice little rifle...

reuben..

My current research has me looking at about $700 for an upper and lower that I expect to be fairly accurate, this would be my predator gun and a range toy.

As a comparison, the reviews of the Ruger American indicate a very accurate bolt gun, off the shelf for around $360 at Walmart. This would be in .243 not .223.

Thus the argument i've been having in my head for about 3 weeks!

Well this might be able to sum things up for you. When you stumble upon a wolf pack like this you are going to be kicking yourself if you bought a bolt action. AR for fast action predator control. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wolfPack.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	64501

An AR would be handy for a large pack like that. But I wouldn't want it in the .223 caliber. I'd want a 6mm upper if I had my drothers. I still prefer a bolt action for most of my predator shooting.

Yeah, an AR might be great in that situation, but how many times in your life are you going to come across such a situation? I'll buy a rifle for what I'm likely to encounter, not my dream encounter.

Please understand I'm not criticizing those with ARs and similar firearms - I just don't understand why that is their top choice. I'm admittedly pretty new to predator calling, but for everything I've called in I've felt best prepared with a very accurate bolt action.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    My AR15performance built 6.8spc will empty a 10 round magazine under controlled fire into 1.5" from the bench. 5 shot cloverleaves are pretty common. The AR when built right is capable of fine accuracy.
    I used to loath "Black" firearms, if was not a pre 64' Winchester it was worthless. However I now carry my AR nearly all the time when afield, even on 4 hour walk'abouts. Yes, it is very accurate, but most importantly to me is that I can field strip it with NO tools.

Default Gun Question

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I will have to get you out somewhere to put some rounds through one of my AR's. Crisp timney triggers and sweet vortex viper 2-7x32 scopes on both of them. They will stack hornady 110 BTHP match bullets one on top of the other. Recoil is so light that you really never lose track of the target. The 6.8 is plenty of horsepower for anything up to Caribou and black bear.

Sounds good, Jon. I'm certainly willing to learn. As for recoil, my .223 bolt action feels like I'm plinking with a .22 and I can cycle the bolt without losing the target when I'm using my bipod, but yes, I can see where follow-up shots would be easier with an AR. I just try not to miss.

Brian, looks like that .223 was easy on that lynx hide, mind sharing what bullet that was?

Actually, it did a fair bit of damage on the far side. I got that gun in a trade with my brother, but I may consider selling it and going down a notch in power - maybe a 22-250? I like the .223 in case I run into a wolf, but for fox and lynx it has done a bit of damage. If I recall correctly, I was shooting 55 grain fmj bullets out of Remington factory loads.

Thats dissapointing to hear, i was hoping to shoot .223 and "load down" a bit, try and get the bullet under 3000 fps and still have a fair trajectory at 200 yards. Still thinking and saving...

Brian,
    A 22-250 is a step up in power from your 223, and will be rough on lynx and fox. If you hand load you can load down the 223 and decrease the damage most likely. Any of the center fire 22 cals except maybe for a 22 hornet tend to be hard on fox in my experience , not sure on lynx as I've never killed one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast