Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-Hunter Responses

Default Anti-Hunter Responses

I'd like to just give support to all hunters on a situation I know we all deal with on the internet.

Every post I put (with exception to this site) gets some kind of hate post on it. I get everything from religion posts, to how hunters are nazi's, to an actual logic response showing criticism.

I just want to ask that you not response in the same tone. Come in even and knowledgable and enlighten them with the criticallity of hunting. Tell them how hunters are the drive for conservation, we prevent over grazing, we keep populations stable, we care for the animals, etc.

It absolutely kills them when we show them up. In most cases, I have actually come to realize they are responding on first reaction. When you come with a knowledgable answer, it can even persuade them into realizing hunting is positive. It's not necessarily that they're bad people, they're just ignorant to the process and positives.

So keep it straight, simple and knowledgable is my best advice. We'll always battle our rights to hunt, but by doing so in a proffessional matter, we can get an upper hand.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

While I agree that in general it's probably best to try and keep responses civil/positive, I have zero expectation that I will be able to convert an anti and see things my (our?) way. Just as there is absolutely no chance that no matter what tactic/ploy/argument an anti uses, they will never turn me off from hunting, I realize the same is true from their side...it's an exercise in futility.

Totally disagree with your last statement FB. More than a few folks I've crossed paths with who were adamantly against hunting, have been willing to engage in discussion and I've watched their minds open. I've also known people who think that killing is only ok of you eat it, to seeing that maybe there is merit to hunting and trapping of wolves and bears, for example, even if they only see the benefit of increased ungulates and other 'edible' game animals.

I do ttotally agree that 'expecting' this to happen is unrealistic, but I maintain that 'aspiring' to make it happen is entirely realistic.

The original request in post one is spot on though. I concur entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I have zero expectation that I will be able to convert an anti and see things my (our?) way.
    While probably true as it pertains to online discussions, I find that helping people to understand hunting on an individual level can indeed persuade those initially opposed. I have a few friends who were non-hunters and who are now eager hunters, as they have come to understand the health and ecological benefits of wild meat over factory farms. They weren't militant anti-hunters, but in at least one case my friend was pretty strongly against what he understood hunting to be. Patience coupled with logical responses offered in a kind manner goes a long ways.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

One on One... with logic and understanding of why people hunt, and the benifits from it, to include health, highway safety, etc... seems to lesson the burden of abuse from the anti's though a true anti will never admit anything beyond their retoric,it is easy to distinquish an under-informed person then a hater..

though many of the shows on the outdoor channel and sportsmans channel do little to prevent the misconseptions people have, when you have teams, score cards, and blatent gross behavior
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Ya the shows are so far removed from my hunting ethos that I don't enjoy them. The spirit of hunting is such that tv and commercial interests only confuse the viewer as to the hunters genuine intent. That doesn't help our image.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    While probably true as it pertains to online discussions, I find that helping people to understand hunting on an individual level can indeed persuade those initially opposed. I have a few friends who were non-hunters and who are now eager hunters, as they have come to understand the health and ecological benefits of wild meat over factory farms. They weren't militant anti-hunters, but in at least one case my friend was pretty strongly against what he understood hunting to be. Patience coupled with logical responses offered in a kind manner goes a long ways.
    Roger that Brian, I should have qualified my statement as to make it clear that I was talking about on-line discussions.

Gotta say I'm wondering where all you're posting (and what and why exactly) HuntAK59 that draws such "hate" responses.

And I should point out that - believe it or not - I've been called an "anti" here on this site by other hunters who didn't agree with a particular position I took. So the term "anti" is really one that is overly broad and often misused in trying to label someone.

I know very few true "anti-hunters." Meaning, someone who is absolutely unequivocally opposed to all hunting of any kind for any reason, be it trophy, recreational, sport, subsistence or whatever other label they or we may attach to hunting.

I had an interesting and good visit with a retired couple from Belgium this past spring. Wife and I were up north along the haul road and our boss had met them in Deadhorse and mentioned we had lived in the bush for a long time and perhaps they'd like to stop in for a visit. So we got word to expect them and invited them in for dinner, which as irony or luck would have it was caribou on the barbie. I'd been forewarned that they were not keen on hunting, that they were wildlife viewers and photographers.

As many of these one on one meetings I've had occasion to be involved in over the years with those who may lean against hunting, their eyes were truly opened that here was a type of hunter they'd neither envisioned nor knew existed. They'd spent quite a bit of time in Alaska over the years filming the great caribou migrations and bears on Kodiak and elsewhere. They were very much Tim Treadwell types I'd say. Prior to our encounter they'd never eaten wild game meat. The husband had seconds that night <grin>. We really enjoyed learning about their life, they ours, sharing a meal together and breakfast too the next morning. They left with a very different take on hunting. All it takes, as was well pointed out by the OP, is being straight, sincere, patient, etc.

Which is what I try to do here! <grin>.

My regular response to anti's is - God made man (in his own image and with a soul) put him on top of the food chain. Everything made on Earth is for man to use, live, eat, etc until the world ends. We have sharp canine teeth (4) specifically made by God for eating/tearing of meat. Animals were made to be eaten by men. Also game meat is healthier than chemical induced domestic meat. Killing predators that we don't eat is ok too because it helps save animals that we do eat and something in the woods will eat that left predator meat anyway. Just my opinion and position with these folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth Hunter View Post
    My regular response to anti's is - God made man (in his own image and with a soul) put him on top of the food chain.
    Man wasn't always at the top of the food chain. He got there as his technology improved. Don't believe me? Go out in the wilderness and then show us how top of the food chain you are. In the beginning man's hunting activities didn't have much effect on game populations. (neither did his other activities) Man still isn't at the very top of the food chain. There are many diseases that regularly take him out. Man might be the only creature who pompously claims to be at the top of the food chain though.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

The only two places I have had anti hunter issues is the Fairbanks News Miner and the Anchorage News online version, other than that I have never heard a word from an anti and I like it that way.

Facebook delivers quite a bit anti-hunter commentary directly on outdoor related pages. Sitka and Kryptek to name a few.

Much derived over ones dislike for the taking of Kodiak bears.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

The worst thrashing I ever took was on Facebook over a bear I harvested. I sent the offended person about 6 videos of bears killing moose, and caribou and a few reports of attacks on people here. I also explained that left unchecked that bears can be very dangerous and destructive. I have to admit that she had never seen that side of bears and only thought of them as gentle giants.

A good example is a suburb near Austin that lobbied to have hunting banded in the area. They spent an insane amount of money on birth control for deer to control the population. Well, needless to say that was a complete failure. After a couple years, these folks could not keep anything green in their fancy yards and soon tired of crashing their expensive cars in the "poor deer". The same group, then lobbied to resume bow hunting.

We as HUNTERS also have a responsibility to not fuel the fire. A good example can be seen every year along the haul road, why in the world with all the areas to hunt, does someone have to shoot a game animal in front of a full tour bus of visitors. Just because something is legal, does not always make it right.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Facebook delivers quite a bit anti-hunter commentary directly on outdoor related pages. Sitka and Kryptek to name a few.

I haven't had those kinds of problems yet and my facebook page isn't exactly hiding the hunting.

If an anti-hunter is still a meat eater, then the argument for hunting is easy. It's sustainable, free-range, organic, exceptionally lean meat, both ethically and nutritionally superior to factory farm products in every way.

It's harder to make a convincing argument to a devoted vegan, though -- one who thinks we should just leave all animals alone and let nature run its own business. Their position is less hypocritical, some of them have good rebuttals to common arguments for hunting, and many of the reasons they're wrong are complicated and hard to conclusively prove without diving into population models full of differential equations, or the neurobiology of why animals aren't people. These things don't fit easily on a message board, and our most popular, simplified slogans are as weak as some of theirs.

For example, if we say we're hunting to prevent overpopulation, they mock us for pretending we're doing this for the good of the animals rather than for ourselves, and they argue that if we left all the predators and prey alone, they would achieve their own natural equilibrium eventually. This is true. Ignoring the impossibility of restoring natural predator populations in most habitats outside Alaska's wilderness, the real problem with this vegan argument is that a "natural" (human-free) population equilibrium will include at least as much death and suffering as a population hunted by humans. It's no net benefit to the average quality of life of the prey species in the long run. Vegans might say this situation is better because the death is dished out by predators that need it to survive, but this is where their argument falls apart -- it makes no difference to the prey who their predator is and whether he needs or wants the meat, so there's no ethical basis for the antis' position -- they simply find it distasteful for humans to be involved, but their taste should not infringe on others' rights. The greater theme here is that anti-hunting vegans don't understand that death, predation, and competition are key parts of the cycle of all life on Earth, we humans arose through that cycle, and we don't do other species any favors by artificially withdrawing ourselves from it.

It took that many words to counter just one of the arguments they make, and their others take just as long. A thorough, logical defense of hunting from all the antis' arguments would take an entire book. It's not a good topic for the shallow debates that take place on Facebook and most other places online.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Default Desperate Tourists

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    We as HUNTERS also have a responsibility to not fuel the fire. A good example can be seen every year along the haul road, why in the world with all the areas to hunt, does someone have to shoot a game animal in front of a full tour bus of visitors. Just because something is legal, does not always make it right.
    Well we were packing our stuff into the truck after a sucessful hunt out of Eureka one year, had the caribou head on the 4 wheeler rack, some out of state tourists stopped to ask if they could please take a picture, said they hadn't seen any live ones, so I guess the dead one would do...we said sure!
    "Grin and Bear It"

I had a girl in class one day. She said she was a vegetarian and did not use animal products. I said what about your shoes? She said nope, they're suede.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post

yeah i have been lucky there, even though i subscribe to some of the anti pages like DFW, and wolf lovers etc... none of them have ever come back and said squat to me... of course My page is full of how much i care about their feeling in the first place ...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    Man wasn't always at the top of the food chain. He got there as his technology improved. Don't believe me? Go out in the wilderness and then show us how top of the food chain you are. In the beginning man's hunting activities didn't have much effect on game populations. (neither did his other activities) Man still isn't at the very top of the food chain. There are many diseases that regularly take him out. Man might be the only creature who pompously claims to be at the top of the food chain though.
    I disagree. I didn't limit man in my statement. We hunt in groups and with technology. Superior Intelligence, the way God made us. So yes we are on top and the vast majority of the time win in a fight.

Personally if people don't want to hunt that is fine we me, less competition. But to live in AK and not hunt or support it seems to be as crazy as living next to a beach and hating the ocean.

Never had someone in AK approach me on not liking hunting but have had two guys want pictures of a moose and carbou heads/antlers on my rig.

I took quite a of ribbing over sharing my own hunting pictures with a few Facebook pages, every single one of them was classy, ethical and respectful of the game I was displaying.

Some folks just look for things to poke at. Boredom I guess.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast