Thread: Hunting Tidal Flats

Default Hunting Tidal Flats

There were some discussions on tactics for hunting tidal flats a few weeks ago. Here is an article that I found from quite a while ago. This fellow seems to have gone through about the same process as I have. This weekend we are trying out his method with brown painted snow sleds, new geese decoys and flag on our favorite tidal flat. I've gotten tired of seeing the ducks and geese out on the flats and no way to hunt them. Has anyone else tried this method? I'll hopefully have a successful report next week.

http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/.../lowduck3.html
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Default Hunting Tidal Flats

I just sit in the logs with decoys out and call. Obviously try n set up in their flight pattern. I get a few geese a year that way.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    I just sit in the logs with decoys out and call. Obviously try n set up in their flight pattern. I get a few geese a year that way.
    Unfortunately where we hunt there aren't very many logs out on the flats. But there are a few places where there are some small depressions. I'm planning to set up in these with our decoys close by. I may have to leave my Yellow Lab in the boat for this part of the hunt as she would stick out like a neon light on the flats.. I've cut three camo "blankets" to cover us up and if we can find any driftwood we could also use that. Nothing like trying something new...

this method is basically the NJ Sanford Gunning Box concept made from something else other than wood and fiberglass. One of these days I will get around to making a couple of gunning boxes for shallow water hunting along the edges.

If you look at some really old posts from AK Powder Monkey, while he was down at UofA in Juneau he was using a large sled and some burlap for his flat hunting system. He was too big to fit in his sled, but it got the job done for skidding gear out and keeping him dryer.

Would a layout blind work out there or stand out to much with camo? IF not..take an old sheet and spray paint it about the same color as the mud or sand..darken it up with spots and patterns, Just lay it out and fold it over you or cut a hole like a poncho and lay down on your sled. we use to use them tech in Kansas on the rivers and flats on the lakes. Worked great!

Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    There were some discussions on tactics for hunting tidal flats a few weeks ago. Here is an article that I found from quite a while ago. This fellow seems to have gone through about the same process as I have. This weekend we are trying out his method with brown painted snow sleds, new geese decoys and flag on our favorite tidal flat. I've gotten tired of seeing the ducks and geese out on the flats and no way to hunt them. Has anyone else tried this method? I'll hopefully have a successful report next week.

http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/.../lowduck3.html
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Those sleds are one of the most useful things you can buy.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Those sleds are one of the most useful things you can buy.
    My brother is arriving this afternoon from down south for ten days of waterfowling and my son is going to join us for the first three days. It's always interesting to try something new. Sure will beat sitting on the beach looking at all those birds out on the flats. Got some new goose decoys and a goose flag arriving today so almost like the day before Christmas. I'll let you all know how it went next week sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Would a layout blind work out there or stand out to much with camo? IF not..take an old sheet and spray paint it about the same color as the mud or sand..darken it up with spots and patterns, Just lay it out and fold it over you or cut a hole like a poncho and lay down on your sled. we use to use them tech in Kansas on the rivers and flats on the lakes. Worked great!
    The layout seems like a lot to drag out onto the flats and more importantly I think it would stand out. From what I've read and a couple of folks I've spoken to the sleds not only are great for hauling decoys out onto the flats but they also are nice to lay on instead of laying down in the mud. At any rate, we'll see shortly how it all fits together......