Thread: Upcoming Winter Caribou Hunt!

Thumbs up Upcoming Winter Caribou Hunt!

Well Moose season is all but over and winter is quickly approaching. Is anyone else looking forward to the winter caribou hunting opportunities? I really enjoyed the Steese Highway hunt last winter, and I have a couple friends that are wanting to brave the elements this year. I am always up for a different hunt, and if anyone know of some other areas that make for a good winter hunt and are willing to share, I am all ears and I appreciate the help.

Moose season over? Just getting started for me. And bou to march as well Winter hunting is the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Rohdeiv View Post
    Well Moose season is all but over and winter is quickly approaching. Is anyone else looking forward to the winter caribou hunting opportunities? I really enjoyed the Steese Highway hunt last winter, and I have a couple friends that are wanting to brave the elements this year. I am always up for a different hunt, and if anyone know of some other areas that make for a good winter hunt and are willing to share, I am all ears and I appreciate the help.
    I missed this entire year of hunting due to a deployment. BELEIVE ME I am certainly looking to make up my missed time this winter. I have never done a winter bou hunt but have done the fall 40 Mile hunt. I am looking at buying a sled in 3 weeks when I get home but was hoping to just drive up the steese and snowshoe it out. I know a couple years ago they closed the 40mile until you crossed Birch Creek meaning you NEED a sled. I also got my bow cert and will be looking for a partner for a late February early March treck up the haul road if the 40 Mile doesnt pan out. A good winter moose hunt is Tanana Flats if you have a sled, Had a ball 2 years ago doing that.
    Ken

Was just out on Minto flats Sat. looking for moose. Planning on going again after more snow. Also hoping to do a winter 40 mile herd hunt. Hoping for good hunting weather when the season open.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

If I remember correctly, the 2012 Steese Highway winter caribou hunt was cancelled because hunters exceeded the quota during the fall hunt. I could definitely be wrong, but that's what I recall reading somewhere. I didn't see any winter hunt listed here:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...nttype=R&res=1

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    If I remember correctly, the 2012 Steese Highway winter caribou hunt was cancelled because hunters exceeded the quota during the fall hunt. I could definitely be wrong, but that's what I recall reading somewhere. I didn't see any winter hunt listed here:
    Can someone clarify?? This is important!
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

I called the hotline rc 867 winter qouta is 250 animals oh and it kicks off on 1 December have fun

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...hunting.40mile

Nice try... You were almost successful

Default Upcoming Winter Caribou Hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I called the hotline rc 867 winter qouta is 250 animals oh and it kicks off on 1 December have fun

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...hunting.40mile
    That's right 323, sissies not apply!! Lol
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    That's right 323, sissies not apply!! Lol
    **** I can do this hunt in shorts and tshirt and Nike running shoes..

Yep, the Fortymile Hotline said the Dec. 1 winter hunt will have a quota of 250 animals. Sorry to get anyone riled up - go get em!

Quote Originally Posted by Tacpswank View Post
    I missed this entire year of hunting due to a deployment. BELEIVE ME I am certainly looking to make up my missed time this winter. I have never done a winter bou hunt but have done the fall 40 Mile hunt. I am looking at buying a sled in 3 weeks when I get home but was hoping to just drive up the steese and snowshoe it out. I know a couple years ago they closed the 40mile until you crossed Birch Creek meaning you NEED a sled. I also got my bow cert and will be looking for a partner for a late February early March treck up the haul road if the 40 Mile doesnt pan out. A good winter moose hunt is Tanana Flats if you have a sled, Had a ball 2 years ago doing that.
    Ken
    Pm me when this winter I'm also looking for a possible partner

Anyone know if these trails during the winter hunt are atv accessible or is the snow usually to deep. Decided on a atv over a snow machine. Kinda looking at how I'm going to hunt this this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota boy View Post
    Anyone know if these trails during the winter hunt are atv accessible or is the snow usually to deep. Decided on a atv over a snow machine. Kinda looking at how I'm going to hunt this this year.
    Lol should of got a sled...

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota boy View Post
    All depends on snow depth. I'd say Fbks area is getting marginal for ATVs. Some places more so than others. Problem is drifting. Even with just the 4 in. Fbks had last week, drifting can make certain areas impassible for ATVs.
    Find a friend with a snogo to lend you.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Yep, the Fortymile Hotline said the Dec. 1 winter hunt will have a quota of 250 animals. Sorry to get anyone riled up - go get em!
    However if you have already killed one this year then your not eligible if I remember correctly. The Fall hunt was a slaying in Zones 1 and 3 both over quota.