Thread: Duke Hunting

Default Duke Hunting

Well went out with a friend. It wasnt hot but fun. Got to work Duke in the field. We saw hundreds of ducks but they were on the otherside of the lake.
    Did get a couple. Both retrives he couldnt see the ducks fall due to tall grass.
    First one I went out with him and pointed to where it landed and he went over and got it. I was impressed he went through the tall grass withthe duck and never dropped it tell he got back to the boat.
    Second duck was different. Same situation but this time when he grabed the duck it fought back. It bit him in the nose. he dropped and duck swam to another patch of tall grass. I pointed and he was on it. This time he pounced on it and grabed the duck by the head. Brought it back to the boat again.... I was very impressed with him in the boat also. First time ever in a boat and wasnt an issue.
    first 10 minutes of hunting he was aintsy, but settled down quick once he heard gun shots and the ducks on the water making noise.
    dukers.jpgphoto.jpg
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

My dog Jake had the same thing happen on his first goose retrieve. It bit him on the nose and he started to back away from it. We told him to get it so he turned around and grabbed it by the bill and brought it all the way back that way. Ever since then he always gave a goose a little shake when he retrieved them.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Thats a good looking dog Ak Gray

dodger
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I was impressed he went through the tall grass withthe duck and never dropped it tell he got back to the boat.
    Good looking boy ya got there. A word of advise.....teach your dog to never drop a bird unless it is in your hand. If a dog drops a wounded bird anywhere but your hand there is always a chance it can fly or run away especially if you hunt birds other than ducks. Plus you never want to have to worry about the dog dropping a bird it has just retrieved, especially when other birds are coming in at the same time. I always taught my dog to heal up and hold the bird until I take it from it's mouth. I also taught my dog never to shake until it delivers the bird. These things can be taught, and it may take some time, but to me it's well worth it.....imo.

Good Hunting...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

good advice. we trained them to do the same..probably got a little shock at the nip though. "Force Fetch is key"

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Good looking boy ya got there. A word of advise.....teach your dog to never drop a bird unless it is in your hand. If a dog drops a wounded bird anywhere but your hand there is always a chance it can fly or run away especially if you hunt birds other than ducks. Plus you never want to have to worry about the dog dropping a bird it has just retrieved, especially when other birds are coming in at the same time. I always taught my dog to heal up and hold the bird until I take it from it's mouth. I also taught my dog never to shake until it delivers the bird. These things can be taught, and it may take some time, but to me it's well worth it.....imo.

Good Hunting...!!!
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post

Good Hunting...!!!
    Agreed.... but could you teach him not to take a piss after EVERY single retreive? That water is cold so I can't really fault him.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Great pics with a dog and his ducks. Take all the photos you can he is good looking boy.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Agree he needs to be forced fetched. That is coming soon. Right now I wanted him to get out and gain some experience in the field.
    We still have a long way to go but it's looking better everyday!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Good stuff..sure you have someone working him in the future..but we used the "Water Dog" plan in the book by Richard Wolters..one of the best plans out there for your avid trainer.

Take it step by step and it will provide excellent results.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Agree he needs to be forced fetched. That is coming soon. Right now I wanted him to get out and gain some experience in the field.
    We still have a long way to go but it's looking better everyday!
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Gray nice looking dog I get my new pup on the I get my new chocolate on the 31 of October.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Believe it or not, you can teach them that too. It's just that from the start, the dog needs to know that bringing the bird to hand FIRST and foremost, (above anything they may want to do), is the only way that is acceptable.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!