Thread: Anyone ever put a longtail mudmotor on a 16' cataraft?

Default Anyone ever put a longtail mudmotor on a 16' cataraft?

I'm thinking of trying this and am asking if anyone has done this before and had any advice. I'm looking for specifics such as the best suitable cat for this, the best motor mount and positioning, best horsepower to push upstream in rivers such as the 20mile, knik, susitna, kenai etc. Just looking for info and any other pearls of wisdom. Thanks in advance

dodger
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

Quote Originally Posted by akdodger View Post
    I'm thinking of trying this and am asking if anyone has done this before and had any advice. I'm looking for specifics such as the best suitable cat for this, the best motor mount and positioning, best horsepower to push upstream in rivers such as the 20mile, knik, susitna, kenai etc. Just looking for info and any other pearls of wisdom. Thanks in advance

dodger
    hello akdodger,
    i have not tried one on a 16 foot,but did hang a 27 hp godevil on a 17'6" aire couger one season. it would not pack a moose and camp and 2 men out thru the faster sections on the creek we were on. i found it to be a lot of work to drive and not the best upriver craft. if you can find one to try out before you buy, may save you some frog pelts in the end.
    oyster

thanks oyster...anyone else want to chime in?
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

I had a 30hp outboard on an Aire Cougar. It would get up an scoot with just a couple people on it, but add much weight and it might do 6-8 mph. I finally bought a bronze prop with 13" pitch (flat as I could find anywhere) and had a prop ship beat it down to 11". That made an amazing difference. Sort of like getting one of the high torque motors they make today. It wasn't as fast with a light load, but it would get on step with a reasonable load. Still wouldn't get on step if you loaded the boat down too much though. And I really don't know how any of that would equate to using a mud motor.

A far better raft design would be something like an Aire Jaguar or Leopard, with two tubes instead of the quad Cougar. The Jag/Leopard have nice smooth and gradual entry lines for the bow and would go faster and likely get on step easier. However, once it does get on step prepare to get wet. This is one place a drysuit has got it all over good rain gear. Have fun.