Thread: Duck numbers

Default Duck numbers

just a quick question for those hunting. Have you noticed a reduced number of ducks you are seeing. I noticed that this past weekend and even late last week that I was not seeing as many as I was just even two weeks ago. I just blew it off to hunting in areas that tend to be dependent on being pressured out from DL and the like and I was hunting during the week when pressure was less.... BUT hunted this weekend and on Monday and still numbers were down. Might be just i need that I just need to move spots.

Just wondering if some of the ducks we had have moved on and the northern push has not hit. Hope so that means more time to go.

How often are you hunting your spot?

It's not over yet, I have seen flocks of migrators moving through, but I think a bunch of the local birds we had moved out or are sitting in all this water we have everywhere. The ducks have a ton of options right now, so they may just be avoiding the spots where they are getting shot at. More should be coming in the next couple of weeks though.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Usually by now most of the scrap ducks (wigeon, spookiest, gadwalls, etc.) have moved out. Any clear night in late September or early October means a lot of ducks migrating out.

Pretty typical for this time of year. there are plenty up north still and they should be moving down very soon. It has been warmer this year than in the past. If guys are still out hunting the marshes and not moved to the rivers or salt..then there is still some great shooting to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by NDH View Post
    just a quick question for those hunting. Have you noticed a reduced number of ducks you are seeing. I noticed that this past weekend and even late last week that I was not seeing as many as I was just even two weeks ago. I just blew it off to hunting in areas that tend to be dependent on being pressured out from DL and the like and I was hunting during the week when pressure was less.... BUT hunted this weekend and on Monday and still numbers were down. Might be just i need that I just need to move spots.

Just wondering if some of the ducks we had have moved on and the northern push has not hit. Hope so that means more time to go.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

game over they are all gone!!!! lol.............................................. just kidding
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    How often are you hunting your spot?

It's not over yet, I have seen flocks of migrators moving through, but I think a bunch of the local birds we had moved out or are sitting in all this water we have everywhere. The ducks have a ton of options right now, so they may just be avoiding the spots where they are getting shot at. More should be coming in the next couple of weeks though.

Agreed.... just wanted to hear that it was not over.... I have been hunting the same area a bunch but changed it up this monday and hunted a different place.... found a good area but not much was moving that is until i called it and started loading the decoys ... then they decide to do a flyby.

With the northern ducks still for the most part up north, when we do get ice and cold weather, it will most likely hit up north and us at very clsoe to the same time, they will be forced down here one day and then head south the next day. me think the window of opportunity gets smaller and smaller as we progress deeper into Oct. Bud
    Wasilla

Clear and sunny forecast for the next few days doesn't bode we'll either. Many birds will leave on these clear nights

Dodger
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

Hardly any birds on the upper Kasilof this year, which is unusual.

I agree Bud...but the what is open will hold large numbers. Dont forget to make a run down the Knik from the bridge toward Eklutna Trailrace fishing area..those backwater sloughs to the north down in there hold alot of ducks after the marshes lock up. Also sure the mouth of the Sue will have large numbers as well with the open water.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    With the northern ducks still for the most part up north, when we do get ice and cold weather, it will most likely hit up north and us at very clsoe to the same time, they will be forced down here one day and then head south the next day. me think the window of opportunity gets smaller and smaller as we progress deeper into Oct. Bud
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Was hunting beluga last weekend and saw thousands of migating ducks come in monday night but it looked the geese moved on from there

all gone, season over, may as well settle in for a long winters nap, unless you have a snowmachine, then pray for snow while the rest of us curse it. Bud
    Wasilla