Thread: Vortex

Default Vortex

Does anybody have a Vortex scope, saw one today and liked it but wanted to see what you guys thought

They make everything from entry level to high quality. All of it has a lifetime warranty. The glass on the entry level stuff sucks, but the mid-level glass is pretty good. I have four of their scopes and all have performed very well in all types of weather Alaska dishes out.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Vortex gets pretty good reviews from the guys that have them...I'd avoid their low end line but the mid and up stuff I've looked though was pretty decent.

A buddy of mine runs a pair of Vortex binos (Vipers maybe?) that are a steal at $450 or so.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have one of their monoculars and I love it. The lifetime guarantee is awesome. You can even run over it with a truck and they will give you a new one, no questions asked.

My spotting scope is the Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65. I love it, but it's the only spotting scope I've ever owned, so I don't have much of a background to compare it to others. I've never tried a Zeiss or Swaro. I just know I've never found myself wishing the Vortex glass were better. When I can't see something well, it's usually because shimmering air blurs the image, and no scope can do anything about that.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Ak for life View Post
    Does anybody have a Vortex scope, saw one today and liked it but wanted to see what you guys thought
    I have a Vortex Spotting scope and bought my son one as well and put a Vortex Crossfire Scope on my daughter in laws gun I bought her for Christmas. Scopes were clear and we were very happy with them. Well due to all the rain, her scope fogged up inside the last week of hunting season in 14B. I took it off and ran it back to Sportsmans. They didn't want to exchange it due to the scope model had changed. I wrote a letter to Vortex and sent them back the scope last Monday. I got a new scope back yesterday same make and model no questions asked. I hope it was just a freak defective scope and this one will not fog up. I've been a Leupold guy my entire life and tried these out as the price is easy to justifiy and warranty is good. Jury is still out on these scopes for me as we speak.

I've been hunting with a Vortex Viper rifle scope the past three seasons and been very happy with it. No fogging issues and the glass seems great to me. If a scope can stand up to the rain, snow and "fog" of SE hunting, it ought to hold work just about anywhere. They seem to have a good price/value ratio.

Is there a marked difference from their regular line to the HD versions?

a few hundred bucks.. But seriously look through a mid level and then an HD the difference will be quite clear. Dare I saw their high end stuff will give Swaro's a run for their money.

Thanks. That is exactly why I asked. Anyone can slap an HD label on a product now but that doesn't necessarily warrant the huge price difference. I will have to track some down in person.

I have the Viper 10x42 HD Binos and the Razor 20-60x85 spotter and couldn't be happier. Looked through Swaro 80 and Razor 85 about 6 different times in different lights and distances and could not justify the extra 1400$. I wouldn't even justify another 50$. I've had to send the scope in for a repair, caused by me, and they had it back to me within the week cleaned and repaired, and called twice to let me know they received it and when it shipped. The Binos are a bargain for 600$. I brought both these on a Brooks sheep hunt this fall and both worked extremely well. A little on the big size for sheep hunting glass, but well worth having.

I bought the 15x50's for sheep/moose hunting and they are awesome binoculars!

I put the scope on the wifes .308 and now I want one to replace my Nikon on the .300. I also picked up the Viper HD bino's and LOVE them!

I have always use leupold rifle and spotting scopes and bought a Vortex HD spotting scope this year. I will say it is very close to my partners Swaro. Overall I love the scope for the price and my early assesmnet is as follows.
    Pros:
    Clarity is amazing
    Soft cover is nice and fits well
    Adapters readily avalible
    mount is standard size so you can swap tripods easily if you break one
    easy to use and clean

Cons:
    Weight, but I am not a sheep hunter so do not care like they do.
    No rubberized coating, it is a bit loud and the outer cover will scratch
    The covers are heavy I attached mine with rubberbands and the breeze moves the scope.
    The front cover is a bit difficult to remove when you are having a" Holy $#IT look at that moose" moment (experienced this twice).

I bought a Vortex Nomad (15-60x60, I believe) for sheep season this year, as I was on a tight budget. If I had it to do again, with the same budget constraints, I'd have bought a Nikon for the same price. Magnification on the Nikon only goes to 48, but clarity seems much better. The Nomad is pretty dark after about 40x. I really was not impressed. Have heard great things about the next product up, the Viper, though.