Thread: copperhead

Default copperhead

There is a 6.5 copperhead in fairbanks craigslist if anyone is interested.

He said he needs more horsepower is the only reason for selling it.

good little motah. I put it together, and built the first rock gaurd for it. It chugged against the Yukon River quite well. Another nice thing about that little 6.5, is that you can carry two gears. One for top speed with a light load, or a little john boat, or a toque monster gear for canoe hulls, to keep the big prop spinning faster as the stern digs deeper. If I didn't have other financial priorities this instant, that motor would live at my home.

just a quick question .... I know these motors weigh more so is a 6.5 about the top end you can put on a 17-18 foot canoe. i would like to go up to about 12 HP but not sure if that would work on most of the mid range canoes.

Also how do these motors compare to jets and outboards as far as performance. I am assuming it takes more HP from them to get the same performance from a smaller outboard prop.

My understanding is the other way around. With no transmission and gearbox of a standard outboard more of the power goes to the ground so to speak.

Just a quick run down on how these motors run. They are geared low, and push a big prop. It's a carbon fiber/kevelar belt. You have a toothed cog off the motor, and one sitting on bearings that run the prop shaft. It's all torque, which is what canoes like. For canoe hulls, I'm going to re-test the 6.5 this spring with a smaller motor cog. It'll only be about four teeth smaller, so should fair well for hauling a heavy load like a moose. The 6.5 copperhead feels like the power of a 9.9 hp outboard.

The 10 hp copperhead would be a good one too. The 12 is just too much though. I ran it this season, but I NEVER dared to run much past 1/4 throttle, never needed it. A couple times I ran half throttle to get an entire 54.5" racked moose over shallow gravel riffle, and it almost threw me out of the canoe.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Just a quick run down on how these motors run. They are geared low, and push a big prop. It's a carbon fiber/kevelar belt. You have a toothed cog off the motor, and one sitting on bearings that run the prop shaft. It's all torque, which is what canoes like. For canoe hulls, I'm going to re-test the 6.5 this spring with a smaller motor cog. It'll only be about four teeth smaller, so should fair well for hauling a heavy load like a moose. The 6.5 copperhead feels like the power of a 9.9 hp outboard.

The 10 hp copperhead would be a good one too. The 12 is just too much though. I ran it this season, but I NEVER dared to run much past 1/4 throttle, never needed it. A couple times I ran half throttle to get an entire 54.5" racked moose over shallow gravel riffle, and it almost threw me out of the canoe.
    thanks for the run down.. guess I need to just drive one or go with someone who has one. Have you guys ever seen a long tail on a canoe.. my guess it that the length is just a little much I have heard it takes some practice running a long tail.