Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Bison Hunt Tips

Default Delta Bison Hunt Tips

Just returned from my successful Delta Bison Hunt and figured that I'd share a few tips and lessons learned.

1. If you haven't called all the land owners on the list that ADFG sent to you, you're already behind the power curve! Call all the farmers before you even get to Delta. Look their numbers up on the internet if they are not listed on the sheet. If you PM me, I'll be happy to share which land owners were particularly helpful, one who is terminally ill and who you probably shouldn't bother, and any who are no longer land owners.

2. Attend one of the pre-hunt orientations at the Delta ADFG Office. Yes, I know that you can do the orientation online but you are missing out if you fail to attend in person as well. Why? For starters, the land owner list that you recieved in the mail is not the most up-to-date list. Ask for the latest one as well as any information that you can get from ADFG personnel on the land owners. Even though I specifically asked for the most current list, ADFG is constantly updating it with new information recieved from property owners and hunters and I found the list not quite up to date. At the in-person orientation, you'll also get to examine satelite photos and maps in addition to skulls and horns that will make your job of sex identification easier.

3. Even though you've already called and introduced yourself to all the property owners, make an effort to personally visit with them whenever possible. For starters, all the folks that I met are real nice people; this could pay dividends for you in ways that you may not have imagined. Most importantly, many of them will not put you on their waiting list until they actually meet with you to explain their rules for hunting on their property and possibly provide you with a map and useful information about favorite bison hang-outs on their land. Some of the farmers have made a real efforts to learn more about the bison. Don't be afraid to ask questions and then shut your mouth and listen to what they tell you! Most are very willing to share some useful knowledge.

4. DO NOT BE A SLOB HUNTER! Word spreads quickly. Follow all property owner rules and treat people and property with respect. If you don't have permission to hunt on private property, don't hunt there. I know this sounds like common sense but I had several farmers tell me horror stories and some will no longer allow hunters on their land unless they personally know you (see why you want to meet them in person?)

5. Remember that you may hunt bison throughout Area 20D, not just at the State Bison Range Fields or the Delta Agricultural Project.

6. I didn't see a single bison or much fresh sign at the Bison Range Fields. This may change, as you can scarcely believe how quickly the bison can cover ground.

7. I'm not telling you to leave your four-wheeler at home but I found that a good 4X4 or AWD highway vehicle was far more useful than a wheeler would be. You're going to cover A LOT of highway and gravel road miles and not so many two-track trails that can't be navigated with a highway vehicle. As a matter of fact, my hunt success was accomplished with a Subaru Baja!

Oh, yes. Here's proof of my success.
    004.jpg

Congrats on the nice animal. Lots of good eating there. Thanks for the tips, if I ever get drawn out for that hunt this is info to take to the bank. I live in Delta so I already know some of the land owners. (maybe that's why I haven't drawn out!)
    Steve

hello & congrats on your hunt! The information is much appreciated, well thought out and useful. I'd be much obliged if you could share your land owner information. I don't want to intrude where not wanted and this would keep me from doung exactly that. Any other advice would be well received, too. I head out on the 12th for a Bull. I can't seem to manage the PM contact method.
    Dave Hamilton
    hamiltondl@gmail.com

Default Delta Bison Hunt Tips

Yummy.. Congrats.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

One more useful tidbit: Get the Google Maps or Google Earth application on your cell phone! Make sure that you pull up the app while you are still in Delta Junction proper so that the GPS starts tracking you! It is likely that you will not have any cell phone coverage in all the best hunting areas but if you pull up the app while you still have coverage, GPS will continue to track you on the saved image. THIS IS A VERY USEFUL TOOL.

Congratulations man!
    I'm heading up Thursday for my Saturday opening day.
    I tried to PM you, but for some reason it won't let me.

I would really appreciate it if you've got time for a quick chat before I head up, you can email me at jasen001@me.com.

Muskeg Stomper-Couldn't PM you due to your new status on this site. But you've shared some great advice that any buffalo hunters should heed. I'll be heading up Friday to help some friends with their cow bison party tags. Would love some updated information if you could email me at aktrap59@yahoo.com
    Thanks!

Nice looking bull!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Another tip......if you have a snow machine, don't mind the cold, and can go in March.....do so. The hides on these animals at that time of year are incredible. Almost like an entirely different critter. You'd have to see it to believe it but it's true....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Another tip......if you have a snow machine, don't mind the cold, and can go in March.....do so. The hides on these animals at that time of year are incredible. Almost like an entirely different critter. You'd have to see it to believe it but it's true....
    And if you want to take 4mer's good advice, drop me a PM. Having done this hunt recently in March I know a couple places where you can have a real good chance.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Congratulations to dlh0 who successfully harvested a great looking bull! He sent me some photos and a promise to share his hunt experience and more tips with us on the forum.

Some good information, esp. #2 & #4

And did you harvest your cow yet young lady????

Quote Originally Posted by Muskeg_Stomper View Post
    And did you harvest your cow yet young lady????
    I have not walked out the door with my rifle, yet. I will make time for me before it gets too cold.
    I am taking my time, for if I move to fast I will miss the sense of where I am going and why. I feel gifted and humbled to have gotten this permit. These animals are more to me than meat in my freezer or a head on my wall. I have a lot of admiration and love for these magnificent creatures. For centuries there has been stories told of hunting and killing a plains bison…I want the story my children and grandchildren tell to be more than my mom/nana killed a bison. As if, it was nothing magical and or majestic. When my moment comes to pull the trigger and I take my last breath, there will be a thousand thoughts race through my mind. When my bison hits the ground and she is taking her last breathe…she will know I give thanks and apologies.

Thanks for asking...

Last edited by grndthunder; 11-01-2012 at 01:55. Reason: words ran together

Quote Originally Posted by grndthunder View Post
    I have not walked out the door with my rifle, yet. I will make time for me before it gets too cold.
    I am taking my time, for if I move to fast I will miss the sense of where I am going and why. I feel gifted and humbled to have gotten this permit. These animals are more to me than meat in my freezer or a head on my wall. I have a lot of admiration and love for these magnificent creatures. For centuries there has been stories told of hunting and killing a plains bison…I want the story my children and grandchildren tell to be more than my mom/nana killed a bison. As if, it was nothing magical and or majestic. When my moment comes to pull the trigger and I take my last breath, there will be a thousand thoughts race through my mind. When my bison hits the ground and she is taking her last breathe…she will know I give thanks and apologies.

Thanks for asking...

Wow! I wish more people felt a sense of what you just verbalized whenever they harvested any animal, from the common deer or moose or caribou, to the uncommon Bison or brown bear or Musk Ox. Perhaps they do. That's what I try to teach my children, and what hunting means to me. Kudos!!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I was lucky and blessed to have been invited as a back-up shooter and pack mule for two bison hunters this year, last Saturday to be exact. Now I am not gong to reveal too much info on where we hunted, but I will say that listening to people like grndthunder will pay dividends. We took advice from one local landowner that resulted in us taking both bulls 4 hours into our hunt. One with a blackpowder Quigley and the other with a modern rifle.

Best advice we received, find the tracks, watch the wind, and sit. We did see tracks over on the panoramic fields the night before the hunt, but never made it there to hunt.

Best of luck to all the permit hunters, but don't wait too long, I'm guessing they have already hit the 50% harvest quota by now. We killed #29 and 30 or so. Aging at the processor right now.

Awesome thread, I am definitely bookmarking this one for later if I am ever so fortunate as to draw one of these tags!

I just found out that I drew DI403. Have lots of time to research and will definitely go scout for this tag. Lots of good information here. Thanks!

Calling all landowners prior to arriving Delta has caused some landowners to list property as "no hunting" or they have raised their fees excessively.
    Many landowners have tired of the phone calls and door knocks at dinner time.....especially when the hunter doesn't even know if there are bison near their farm.

VernAK - that is understandable to me. What is the best way to approach them then? Wait until you see a good buff on their land then ask?

I am kind of just planning to use the list given out at orientation and see what the fish cops have to say. 80 tags is quite a few really.....lots of hunters asking permission etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast