Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cleaning fresh moose head for european skull mount

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Never tried it, but I understand it's really stinky and trying to keep them from escaping is difficult. Also, they're a specific type of beetle that one must order, and once the skull is done, most folks wouldn't have a use for them.

Having done boiling, maceration, and pressure washing, I'm a big fan of pressure washing for a robust skull like a moose.
    Am trying Zack with Alaska Beetle Farm here in Anchorage, his colony as gotten much larger. Says he will have a bou scull done in 4 months.
    The beetle process is rather quick, then he soaks in a degreaser for quite some time. Will report wheni get it back, for under 200 bucks, it is less than doing it yourself.. (I hope)

So my setup is leaking quite a bit. Did the plastic bag/contractor grade melt at all? Will it impact the cleaning process?
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

My bag didn't melt at all. You could also try caulking the seams if its leaking really bad. Maybe some of the 'As Seen On Tv' Flex Seal stuff?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Default Cleaning fresh moose head for european skull mount

Finished product. Used a skull bleaching kit from cabelas, didnít turn out as white as I was thinking but itís ok

It looks great! Did you use something to make the antlers shine?

Quote Originally Posted by AKhuntfishtrap View Post
    Finished product. Used a skull bleaching kit from cabelas, didnít turn out as white as I was thinking but itís ok

The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    It looks great! Did you use something to make the antlers shine?
    Thanks! Yep I used a clear coat made by Minwax, brushed on about 5 layers

Default Happy with the finished product!

I'm glad that I figured out how to get this done...with the help of others of course!

IMG_6693.jpgIMG_6697.jpg
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

I took a fairly cleaned brown bear spine that mainly only had the the discs and spinal cord holding it together. I buried it with the maggots that were on it. Any idea how long it will be before I can rinse and start the degreasing? Ballpark time frame is what I'm looking for as I forgot to take a picture before burying it.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vitopure21 View Post
    I took a fairly cleaned brown bear spine that mainly only had the the discs and spinal cord holding it together. I buried it with the maggots that were on it. Any idea how long it will be before I can rinse and start the degreasing? Ballpark time frame is what I'm looking for as I forgot to take a picture before burying it.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    I would dig it up now and look. No flesh then decrease. The problem with burying is the tannins and iron in the soul will stain the bone brown. Maggots will do the same. It's very difficult if not impossible to get the staining out. Putting bones in water is way more effective at getting flesh of and having a good specimens to work with, especially if warm up until it rots off.

Cave bears skulls and fossils are brown because of the earth.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123