Thread: Please Stop cutting the Briskets & arm pits off of your Capes !!!!!

Default Please Stop cutting the Briskets & arm pits off of your Capes !!!!!

This year has been Terrible for people cutting their capes too short or cutting the brisket or arm pits off of their trophy capes.

Its real easy to cape the animal right instead of costing your self more money for anouther cape or your taxidermist ALOT of sewing to fix your bad cuts.

If you use these dirrections you will do it right:

The animal is laying on its side.

find the back of the FRONT legwhere it meats the body.

Find the rib right behind the leg, now move your finger 2 ribs towards the rear of the animal.

NOW, Cut a CIRCLE ALL THE WAY AROUND the animal staying that far back from the shoulder & brisket.

This will allow you PLENTY of cape for a pedistal mount or a standard shoulder mount.

IF you do have to cut up the leg to get it out of the cape, >>>>> Stayin the Middle of the little hair pattern on BACK OF THE LEG.

NOT up th Inside of the leg like so many are doing .

If ou need further explanation call me durring working hours & I will talk you through it.

RJ Simington
    877 281 0936

Protaxidermy,
    Good advice from you as usual.
    I think you would have seen better results had you posted this reminder prior to hunting season though instead of after.
    Submit a reminder again next spring on bear skinning tips before the bears come out so people have a chance to read it before they will be skinning them.
    BK

Best advice for a hunter is to talk to your taxidermist BEFORE heading out to the field. You will know exactly what they want from a hide to do the best job for you at the best price.

Or hunters could just look stuff up on this thing called the internet. Sounds fishy, but it can work for most folks.

http://www.mikestaxidermyartistry.com/caping-a-deer/

Don't take the diagonal lines on the back of the legs literally. As stated, follow the hair line which will depend on the position that the legs are in.

Thanks RJ! I asked you before the season, but I should have asked more questions. My wife dropped her bou head off to you and you noted that I didn't leave enough hide, and yes, I did cut up the inside of the front legs. On the hide, I went halfway between his front and back legs, but lessons learned, I'm going to leave you to nearly the back legs next time.

We are looking forward to hanging that shoulder mount on the lodge wall!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Do I see a pictorial how too in the future?
    I'm Pro-Pike.

We are still taking in Caribou from the haul road daily, & it seems that every other cape is missing the brisket.

Guys just get in too big of a hurry to skin em off.

I will try to put a caping instructions post together this weekend & see if I can get it on here.

Yes I will buy Good capes if you arent going to mount em. So dont cut the heads off.

Thanks guys,

RJ Simington
    ww.protaxidermy.com

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post
    Do I see a pictorial how too in the future?
    Yes, hunters respond better to pictures.

Ya know, if you put together a one page flyer with a diagram/picture on this, I bet a lot of local sportsman stores might distribute it for you (you could always put your company name in small print on the bottom) just before hunting season. And there's here, too.

Actually, I have found that hunters will respond more to money.

If I start charging them more to fix their miss cuts, they remember, that more than if i show them they screwed up.

I had a couple of guys several years ago that , everything they brought in was cut wrong so I started adding $ 100. fix fee to their mounting costs & they stopped cutting them up.

Finaly got their attention. LOL

RJ Simington