Thread: Help with duck I.D.

Default Help with duck I.D.

I was hunting grouse in and around the Talkeetna area and stumbled upon a slew with some ducks on it. I am relatively new to bird hunting and am intrigued with trying to bag a duck or two.

These ducks were mostly tan/brown in color with no discernible bright colors to speak of save for some white around the head. They were not mergansers as that is the one species I am familiar with. I know its vague but does anyone have any thoughts as to what these might be based on their location and coloration? I have been around this slough many times and only seem to see these ducks in the fall.

Thanks for any help,

Matt

White on the head probably either wigeon, buffleheads or goldeneyes when they fly do they fly low on the water Oreo they fly up and away.

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    I was hunting grouse in and around the Talkeetna area and stumbled upon a slew with some ducks on it. I am relatively new to bird hunting and am intrigued with trying to bag a duck or two.

These ducks were mostly tan/brown in color with no discernible bright colors to speak of save for some white around the head. They were not mergansers as that is the one species I am familiar with. I know its vague but does anyone have any thoughts as to what these might be based on their location and coloration? I have been around this slough many times and only seem to see these ducks in the fall.

Thanks for any help,

Matt
    Give me the gps location of this slough and i'll go shoot a few and hopefully tell you what they are. Might be buffleheads, but best with pic. Bud
    Wasilla

i have seen harlies while fishing up there before
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

They definitely flew up and away, not along the water at all. Does anyone know of an on-line I.D. resource with pics and what not? I've looked around but haven't found anything great.

Thanks for the input.

Just get the Sibley's Guide to Birds... its the best bird reference, in my opinion, and it will serve you well.

dodger
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

I'm not affiliated with DU in any way but I have seen their good research and they do have good instructional materials. Instead of reinventing the wheel (and this is free).... http://www.ducks.org/hunting/waterfowl-id