Thread: Sea duck trip with Buck in Seldovia?

Question Sea duck trip with Buck in Seldovia?

Anyone interested in throwing together a sea duck trip this year? I'm out of state for a couple weeks in November, but would like to try to do it this year. Maybe 2 days hunting? I tried emailing and pm'ing him already but boxes appear to be full. Will try to call before the end of the week, but want to gauge interest first.

Milo
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Anyone interested in throwing together a sea duck trip this year? I'm out of state for a couple weeks in November, but would like to try to do it this year. Maybe 2 days hunting? I tried emailing and pm'ing him already but boxes appear to be full. Will try to call before the end of the week, but want to gauge interest first.

Milo
    Im down for a trip!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Im down for a trip!!
    Dang, I figured you'd be doing your own thing out of Whittier. Sounds good to me.

Anyone else?
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I will be.... Just counting the days down!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I might be, when were you thinking about doing it? Do you know the approximate cost?
    Thanks

I'd be aiming for late Nov - early Dec. I need to go south to hunt with an old friend from 11/10 through 11/24. Other than those dates I'm open. Hoping to shoot some things for da taxidermy man.

Didn't get ahold of him yet so I can't quote prices. I will pm what he emailed me LAST year, obviously subject to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I will be.... Just counting the days down!!!!!
    I know where to buy boat gas too

I have sent him a pm as well, but no response yet either. I am looking to do a hunt too. 2 days would probably be perfect.

I have hunted with him twice, he runs a great operation. If you want a chance at all the species down there I would suggest going for 4 days, but two will get you into some great hunting. Just don't limit out too fast, both times I went I could have limited out in about 10 minutes. Get the best shells you can get too, sea ducks are hard to kill. We had a surf scoter take 13 rounds and Buck still had to net and club him to dispatch it. It's a great time and you will be dying to do it again. I would love to go but not sure if my finances will allow it this year.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

dayummm - you can kill a brown bear with 13 rounds.....did that scoter eat and kilz ya'll too afore it got bonked?

alaska gray - what is the best time of year for the birds out of whittier.......I have an idear - and might go a couple times - first time will be this weekend - a bit early for the sea dux - but maybe find some other kinds - hopin anyway.

Im down for a trip too.. I have my own 22' hewescraft.. We get a nice weekend of weather maybe we can make a run to the sound and pound some ducks and stack some deer..

ducks and deer, cant beat that.....lol

I'll be in the sound tomorrow morning....changed to the 7:30 tunnel - spose to be snowing a little. I'll probably head north, but not for certain yet. Mostly looking for birds, but I did pick up my deer harvest tags so I'll be takin ole Grizl Stik along for the boat ride. If you are out and about and see a little white searunner give me a shout on the radio.

Open dates would be 11/24 - 11/29 and 12/12 - 12/16.
    Email me if interested. If I can't get a group I will pursue other options.

Thumbs down

Looks like this is going to be a no go.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I have hunted with him twice, he runs a great operation. If you want a chance at all the species down there I would suggest going for 4 days, but two will get you into some great hunting. Just don't limit out too fast, both times I went I could have limited out in about 10 minutes. Get the best shells you can get too, sea ducks are hard to kill. We had a surf scoter take 13 rounds and Buck still had to net and club him to dispatch it. It's a great time and you will be dying to do it again. I would love to go but not sure if my finances will allow it this year.
    If you don't mind can you tell us about what a per day cost to expect or at least what it use to be? I am short on time but you just never know what might occur.

Another quick question. I have never been to cordova.... with that said is it possible to do a DIY hunt or are the logistics just too much. I realize there will be no boat unless you rent one (if that is even possible or economically feasible) Just wondering for those that have been down that way.

Did you ever get a group together? Me and 1 other guy would be in.

Nope. I did not.

Heading down for the last weekend 13, 14, 15, 16 December to Homer....try to get the wife a longtail for the wall. maybe a king for dinner too......