Thread: Lathrop and Sons?

Default Lathrop and Sons?

Who has experience with them? I've been using Kenetreks, they are great for rocky mountains, elk, mule deer hunting. I recently returned from a mountain goat hunt in B.C. where we SIDEHILLED through shale slides which seemed like miles! My ankles were pretty bad shape from it. Its not kenetreks problem as i'm guilty for taking a pair that i knew were borderline wore out. So, now im in the market for new boots. Ive always had a problem with my right foot being considerably wider than my left. Are Lathrop Hanwags custom fitted boots worth the $?

I've used Lathrops for nearly a decade and they were the first to properly fit boots for me.
    My old Hanwags are still good boots but I have a newer pair in reserve for a steep hunt.

I don't have any experience with the Lathrop & Sons "Gold" package boots, but I do currently have a set of Hanwag Alaskans in the stable and have gone through a couple sets of Kenetreks, so perhaps I can help a little bit.

First thing I would say is that if you weren't happy with the sidehilling performance of the Kenetreks (I assume the "Mountain Extreme" version?), then a set of Alaskans isn't going to fix your issue. They are both in the same "class" of boot as far as midsole stiffness and leather thickness. The Alaskan has a much better lace system, which may help, but it's not going to be a quantum leap in sidehilling performance. The Hanwag "Trapper" I believe is built heavier/stiffer and may be worth looking at.

Second thing I would say is that the Hanwags run both smaller and narrower than the Kenetreks. I'm wearing a 0.5 size larger in the Hanwag, and it's exactly the same length as the Kenetrek and borderline too narrow for my foot. They don't sell a EE version either. I was under the impression that the "boot modifications" that Lathrop does is limited to tweaking the custom insole and perhaps stretching the leather on a tight spot. You may want to check to see what they can really do for one wide foot. It might be pretty minimal.

I really like my Hanwag Alaskans, and think they have several advantages over the comparable Kenetreks. Notably, they have a better lacing system, higher quality midsole, and what seems to be a more water resistant leather. However, I wouldn't consider them to be a super stiff, deep lugged mountain boot by any stretch. I'm currently breaking in a set of Kenetrek "Guides" that will serve that purpose for me. We will see how they shake out in a year or so, but there is no question that they will be a better sidehilling boot.

Yk

Thanks guys, i think i'll have to give Lathrop a call. I think the main reason the kenetreks lacked is they're probably a bit broke down, this is the 4th season in them and they're getting fairly soft. I hope lathrops can do something about the one wide foot. I've seriously considered ordering two pairs of boots, one in 9W for my right foot and a 9M for my left! anyone need a 9W left and 9M right!?!?!?!?!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

ABSOLUTLY LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mine cost me nearly 800 bucks... but as my right leg and foot were crushed in 93... them guy worked LONG and hard to fit me correctly lots of tracings and emailed photos... it is the FIRST pair of boot i have been able to were more then one season.. i am bout due to have my heal replaced and will have them work on new insoles for me... THEY WERE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the boots are just as tough and comparable to the lowes i have in the same size... i can't wear often.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Bought a pair of mountain GTX's I believe from Lathrop and Sons. Best boots I have ever worn. They weren't the custom fit ones, but still best boot I have ever worn.

Here's a twist to the story........talked to the outfitter last night that I'm planning to hunt sheep with. He said bring plastic boots, he's seen many hunts cut short due to leather boots! I guess a few questions I have on that are, my feet tend to sweat alot, that going to be a problem in plastics? I'm medium width in my left and wide in my right foot, looking at plastics I've noticed there are no wide widths, are they heat moldable enough to accommodate a wide foot?

I really want a set of Hanwags for a do it all boot. That said for a hunt that was all mountains I am really liking my Koflach degre's.

How are the Degre's as far as width goes? do you notice them being noticably heavier than leather boots? i think my kenetreks are advertised at 2.1lb per boot and the Degre's are 2.6? I like the looks of the Scarpa Omega's but have read they run pretty narrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I really want a set of Hanwags for a do it all boot. That said for a hunt that was all mountains I am really liking my Koflach degre's.

Quote Originally Posted by elkmasterwyo View Post
    How are the Degre's as far as width goes? do you notice them being noticably heavier than leather boots? i think my kenetreks are advertised at 2.1lb per boot and the Degre's are 2.6? I like the looks of the Scarpa Omega's but have read they run pretty narrow.
    Can't help on the Degre's but I bet you would be surprised to discover what your Kenetreks really weigh. My set of sz 11's ran right at 5 lbs. Like many manufactures, they weigh one of the smallest sizes to come up with the "catalog weight"

I've tried on the Degres a couple of times and thought the seemed fairly light. I think weight is the least of the differences between plastic and leather.

Yk

Here's a twist to the story........talked to the outfitter last night that I'm planning to hunt sheep with. He said bring plastic boots, he's seen many hunts cut short due to leather boots! I guess a few questions I have on that are, my feet tend to sweat alot, that going to be a problem in plastics? I'm medium width in my left and wide in my right foot, looking at plastics I've noticed there are no wide widths, are they heat moldable enough to accommodate a wide foot?
    elk master if you dont mind me asking what mountains are you hunting in... plastics really shine in the really rocky areas and personally speaking I would not go into the chugach or ak range(some others too ) with out them. (but then again I use mine for all hunting now)They do take a bit to get used to so whether you decide on plastics or not you want to be very sure you break them in very well and/or get a feel for them.. I can completely understand where your guide is coming from as I have had several hunters have to quit due to foot issues and it is very depressing to have to watch a hunter go home like that. My advice is at the first sign of a hot spot deal with it instantly.. Years ago in the alaska range during the fires and a wiked heat wave my scarpas(I wear degres now) gave me such bad blisters that I still have scars from them all due to sweating and pushing on without taking care of my feet ,I paid the piper for the entire season when all I had to do was take a break and tend to my feet.. there are tricks with plastics like when on the flats or coming down hill you can loosen the laces on the outter boot a bit and this will reduce the wear on your shin..when in the technical stuff though you want them tight as you can I rock my foot back and forth while pulling the laces to accomplish this..good luck and remember to listen to your guide>>>

I would give a call to AMH or Barneys sports in Anchorage and ask them about you foot sizes as their are several inner booties IIRC that may work for you...

The hunt will be in the Chugach range, a backpack style hunt. I really wish i had somewhere here to try the plastics on but i'll probably just have to order them and return if not the right size. I like the fact that the omegas are lighter but ive read alot of good on here about the koflach degres so i'll probably try that route.

I think the degres are about the best compromise for plastics. I really think they are close to a good pair of leathers(well within reason) I used to use scarpa infernos and they are the real deal in plastics(no give at all) my koflach have a lot of give to them and as the years have gone by I have come to like them better.

I would really recommend you find somewhere to try them on and have them fitted. I spent several hours trying different combos of socks and sizes before plunking down the coin. I don't have much time on mine yet but have a few days on them and carried 110 lbs down a mountain recently. They shine in side hills and being able to kick into the face of a steep slope to climb. In the scree I would consider them a confidence multiplier. I have never felt more sure footed in crumbly stuff.

I've been wearing Lowa Civettas as my sheep boots for 4 or 5 years now. Plastics are the only way to go as far as I'm concerned.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Snyd, do you mind me asking what size you normally wear in leathers? Do you wear the same in plastics?Thanks!

Snyd, do you mind me asking what size you normally wear in leathers? Do you wear the same in plastics?Thanks!
    Ya, same size for leathers and plastics. Like any other boots, some may not fit your feet. For me, the Koflach Degrees don't fit the shape of my feet.

I took a chance and ordered the Civettas from shoebuy.com because they had free return shipping. One thing about the plastics, they either fit or the don't out of the box. No stretch/break in period.

They are heavier, a little "clunky" feeling but they never loose support after being wet for days. The liners in the Civettas have a rubber sole on them so they serve has camp moccasins.

I've never had a blister with mine.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again