Thread: 44 mag load for 200 gr XTP

Default 44 mag load for 200 gr XTP

I have some 200 gr Hornady XTP bullets and Titegroup powder. I looked thru some loading manuals and on-line sources and couldn't find any published load data. Any suggestions on a plinking/target load with these components?
    Thanks.

ftaba1, I couldn't find anything for the 200 gn Hornady XTP bullet and TiteGroup. I found it for the 185 gn XTP. However, there is some data for the 200 gn Nosler JHP and TiteGroup. The start load is 9.7 gns of TiteGroup and Max is 10.8. This is Hodgdon powder data from the One Book/One Caliber Loadbooks as well as the Hodgdon web site. I wouldn't have a problem with the start load of 9.7 gns of TiteGroup and the 200 Gn Hornady, especially since your looking for a plinker.

Your not finding data because most donít use quality hunting bullits like XTPs for plinking and fast powder like Tightgroup in a 44mag means plinkers . . . the two are a very unusual combo, it will work as Armymark says but seems a waste of the XTPs. Iíd buy some LilGun/H110/2400 to go with the good quality XTP bullets and some cheap cast plinking boolits to go with the Tightgroup.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

AD is right about titegroup not being the best powder choice. I however do shoot the 200 grain XTP a lot as a plinker through my lever action 44 and it loves them. They are accurate over H110 or 2400.

Thanks for replies, guys! I picked up some 240 gn LSWC boolits today. Thinking about about making two types of rounds. One at 44 special pressures and another more stouter, 44 mag pressures. About 6 gn of Titegroup for the former and around 10 gn for the latter. I'll check with the books when I get home, but does that seem reasonable?

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Your not finding data because most donít use quality hunting bullits like XTPs for plinking and fast powder like Tightgroup in a 44mag means plinkers . . . the two are a very unusual combo, it will work as Armymark says but seems a waste of the XTPs. Iíd buy some LilGun/H110/2400 to go with the good quality XTP bullets and some cheap cast plinking boolits to go with the Tightgroup.