Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seward Shrimp

Default Seward Shrimp

I was reading the new fishing regulations last night, and I noticed that North Gulf Coast Waters (outside Resurrection to the West) has a "Personal Use" shrimp fishery this year.

"Personal use" is set up for residents only, just as dipnetting is. Since non-residents can't help (in any way) with dipnetting, I would assume the same applies to "personal use" shrimp. If you got checked, how would you convince a State Trooper that your guests were not assisting you? I'd hate to miss a shrimping opportunity, but it's not worth a citation or the hassle of pleading my case either. Would you shrimp the "personal use" area with non-residents aboard?

Default As long

As long as the owner of the pots are on board I do not see a problem.

Way of checking: Shrimpers have rough hands, jelly fish stinger bits and are usually wet and smell like fish.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Seward Success

If I'm correct, that area opened to shrimping sometime last summer. However, I have have not heard a word about how productive (or not) that area is. Is anybody willing to share what they've heard or experianced?

Also aren't personal use fish (and shrimp?) only for the imediate family of the permit holder? In other words I wouldn't have your guests eating on board. My I'd guess that they can not, drive the boat, touch the bouy, line, pot, shrimp or anything on a trip you are dropping pots. Thats how it worked for non crewmembers when we had a suprise opeing in main bay last year.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

You have to be kidding, I have never heard anything about only immediate family members being allow to eat personal use catches. Maybe I am wrong here but if I'm feeding my guests to me that is personal use. Someone tell me that monkey has gone bananas

Default Avon Shrimping

Off the topic here sorry but I am curious to know if its possible to shrimp out of a 13 foot avon? PWS preferrably but Seward is also possible? I imagine it would be a real pain and crammed fit, but are there areas close enough? Could it be done? I've never eaten any fresh PWS shrimp before but **** I bet its good. Feel free to PM me with whatever information or advice possible, thanks a lot in advance.

Default What?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Also aren't personal use fish (and shrimp?) only for the imediate family of the permit holder?
    What permit? There is no permit for shrimp. No limit or quotas.

Commercial vessels are different that sportfish. Once processed you can serve your fish to anyone you choose. You can also have anyone that you want on board.

SperBear,
    If I remember correctly its around 25 miles out past Pony Cove and then on around past another point before you can shrimp out from Seward. I personally wouldn't do that in your boat but that's just me.

As for Whittier you can dump her in at the docks, leave the harbor and pick your spot. There are buoys not far out at all. I don't know how well they do or don't do but I took my 10' zodiac out there once years ago and didn't see a problem with it. Of course weather always plays a part in my adventures. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    What permit? There is no permit for shrimp. No limit or quotas.
    You are no longer required to have a permit to shrimp in Prince William Sound, but the personal use shrimping area in the North Gulf Coast waters (between Aialik Cape and Gore Point) requires a permit. See page 15, 56 and 63 of the most current fishing regs for details.

Default Thanks

Dan: Thanks for posting that. I looked but trying to find it online is useless. My mistake.

The reason for the permit in PWS was to determine in the oil spill had hurt the shrimp population. After many years of record keeping it was determined that the fishery was very stable and no use for the permits. Besides that, it was taking the person in Cordova way too long to process the information.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    You have to be kidding, I have never heard anything about only immediate family members being allow to eat personal use catches. Maybe I am wrong here but if I'm feeding my guests to me that is personal use. Someone tell me that monkey has gone bananas
    Thats how I read the regs Page sixteen of the South Central regs

Quote Originally Posted by pages 16 southcentral regulations
    "Personal use" is the takeing, attempting to take or possession of finfish, shellfish or aquatic plants by an individual ALaskan for consumption or use as bait by that individual or his immediate family.
    Probably the most abused law in Alaska

Default Laws

It is very difficult to enforce laws that are not enforceable. Kind of like speed limits. A vehicle is doing 52 mph in a 55 zone. How long is it going to take you doing 55 to legally pass that vehicle? You can't go over 55, because your speeding. If a car comes over a rise in the opposite direction, do you break the law and exceed 55 in order to not cause an accident (pass the vehicle) or do you fall back untill you have 20 mile staight away to pass him without exceeding 55?

You have a visiting non-resident pastor from your church over for a dinner. You plan shrimp. So the family can eat the shrimp but the pastor just visiting has to have lamb.

Pretty much a usless law. Not enforceable.

Where I would like to see enforcement of that law, if applicable, is on the charters out of Whittier and Valdez that pull their shrimp pots every day and feed the bounty to their clients. Something about that has always rubbed me the wrong way. I have no issue with them catching halibut and salmon, but for some reason using the promise of a shrimp dinner on the way into harbor as part of the selling point doesn't seem right.

Totally unenforcable law, absolutely unless of course you have friends eating PU caught shrimp on your boat out of seward when the troopers pull you over.

Of course they can't even enforce the "No Snagging" law at the Russian, so thats another useless law. Nor can they stop drifters from setting to close the setnetters, another useless law, they can't enforce people having pot outside of their homes, another useless law.

To answer your question dave, its kinda an honor system thing, if you are having your pastor over for dinner serve sport (or commercial) caught salmon, and not dipnetted salmon. Kind of like my take home closed book final for atmospheres.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Where I would like to see enforcement of that law, if applicable, is on the charters out of Whittier and Valdez that pull their shrimp pots every day and feed the bounty to their clients. Something about that has always rubbed me the wrong way. I have no issue with them catching halibut and salmon, but for some reason using the promise of a shrimp dinner on the way into harbor as part of the selling point doesn't seem right.
    Isn't shrimp in whittier and valdez sport and not PU so charters can offer shrimping?

Default Kind of

It is sport but you have to be an Alaskan Resident. Charters can pull pots, 5 per boat as far as I know. I remember on Darren Bylers show, them serving shrimp and crab to customers on his boat based hunts.

Thumbs up Bait

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pages 16 southcentral regulations
    "Personal use" is the takeing, attempting to take or possession of finfish, shellfish or aquatic plants by an individual ALaskan for consumption or use as bait by that individual or his immediate family.

Your "baiting" your friends come hang out with you

I do agree with Brian charters feeding shrimp to clients, doesn't seem right.

It is sport but you have to be an Alaskan Resident.
    The regulations for shrimping in PWS are the same for subsistence, personal use, and sport. The difference is who can participate within those fisheries. Anyone who possses the proper sport fishing license and sport fish for shrimp in PWS. Those shrimp can be shared with anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Totally unenforcable law, absolutely unless of course you have friends eating PU caught shrimp on your boat out of seward when the troopers pull you over.

Of course they can't even enforce the "No Snagging" law at the Russian, so thats another useless law. Nor can they stop drifters from setting to close the setnetters, another useless law, they can't enforce people having pot outside of their homes, another useless law.

To answer your question dave, its kinda an honor system thing, if you are having your pastor over for dinner serve sport (or commercial) caught salmon, and not dipnetted salmon. Kind of like my take home closed book final for atmospheres.
    There is a difference between unenforceable and difficult to enforce. Just because a regulation is difficult to enforce doesn't make it a useless law. By and large, people abide by the law. This usually results in the regulation fulfilling it's purpose, whether the purpose is for conservation or whether it is for social/safety reasons.

Default Resident

Page 4 of the PWS regs say this:

A free permit is required for the North
    Gulf Coast shrimp fi shery. The permit is
    available from the Anchorage ADF&G
    offi ce. Open to Alaska residents only.

Now though, do you trust the information. In some of the information sources on PWS the information has not been updated to include the new regulations as of 1/1/07. Some places it still states you need a permit in PWS.

New regs. for rigid size pots call for a 4" sq. opening. If you look at the escape mechinism image provided it is a 3" sq. opening. It also states that you "may" cover the hole with a panel. But gives no instructions on how they want the opening covered if you do not use a panel.

So I just used rotten cotton and closed the opening the same as a nylon mesh pot or as we did before. One knot on each end, looped once over any bar.

There is another problem too and I emailed the law person at F&G to figure that one out.

Page 4 of the PWS regs say this:

A free permit is required for the North
    Gulf Coast shrimp fi shery. The permit is
    available from the Anchorage ADF&G
    offi ce. Open to Alaska residents only.

Now though, do you trust the information. In some of the information sources on PWS the information has not been updated to include the new regulations as of 1/1/07. Some places it still states you need a permit in PWS.
    Where does it say you need a permit in PWS?

I think your confusiing PWS regs with North Gulf Coast regs. The next bullet states: No permit is required for the PWS shrimp fishery. The next bullet after that says to look at pages 15 and 56 for more information about the North Gulf Coast shrimp fishery.

Also in the yellow box on page 63, it lists the shellfish seasons and limits for PWS. It also states that a permit is no longer required for shrimp in PWS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast