Thread: Looking for 7x57 mauser 98 takeoff Barrel

Default Looking for 7x57 mauser 98 takeoff Barrel

I thought maybe some one would have one sitting in the corner gathering dust. I would like to find one in decent condition.

Might want to look at Midway for a 98 barrel in 7x57. The "take-offs" I've seen are pretty rough.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Midway is option, thought I would put it out there, might get lucky. Ya never know.

try Numrich

Military barrels tend to have larger chambers than commercial barrels. This allows for functioning with carbon build-up and minute sand particles that get into the rifle during field operations.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default long throats

Military barrels also tend to have very long throats for the old military round nosed bullets- accuracy suffers greatly unless you seat the bullets way out and grossly exceed the max OAL. Apparently the dimensions carried over even after eveyone switched to the splitzer bullets. In Remington Rolling Blocks I had to seat the bullets so far out they would barely stay in the case - in bolt guns you don't have that opition.

I've read that earlier Ruger 7x57 barrels had the same issue of excessively long throats - perhaps someone can confirm or deny that?

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Military barrels tend to have larger chambers than commercial barrels. This allows for functioning with carbon build-up and minute sand particles that get into the rifle during field operations.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

No luck there
    Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    try Numrich

Was there ever a military Mauser M98 chambered in 7x57? This kinda assumes there are 7x57, M98 military barrels out there and I don't think there are. I once had a commercial Oberndorf Mauser in 7x57. I sold it for about $4000 to help finance a trip to Zimbabwe. What I mean is most who have a 98 in 7x57 don't take the barrel off and toss it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

What maybe a 1908 Brazillian Mauser is 7x57??
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default 1908

My Brazilian 1908 appears to be a 7x57 - at least I'm going to shoot some in it.

If I recall some of the other South & Central American countires used the 7x57 in 98s.

An then were the Mexican Mausers but I think they were small rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    What maybe a 1908 Brazillian Mauser is 7x57??
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

COTW says it was used in some 92's, then adopted by the Spanish military in 93. They used it to kick our butts in Cuba during the Spanish-American war, which was responsible for our adoption of the Mauser type 1903 Springfield. Several South American countries used it as well.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    . . . Mauser type 1903 Springfield.
    Mauser "type" enough that we had to pay Mauser a lot of money for patient infringement before WWI started, don't remember if we paid up but we sure lost in court.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The one I have is a venezuelan 98 in 7Mm x 57 it is totally shotout. Thought there might be a takeoff gathering dust somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    My Brazilian 1908 appears to be a 7x57 - at least I'm going to shoot some in it.

If I recall some of the other South & Central American countires used the 7x57 in 98s.

An then were the Mexican Mausers but I think they were small rings.
    Yes I guess you're right. The Spanish and Portuguese speaking folks on the continent to the south did prefer the 7mm in what ever Mauser style. A better cartridge than the 8x57 anyway.

Here you go:

http://e-sarcoinc.com/search.aspx?find=MSR381

Military 7mm barrels.

These guys are a little "quirky." They can be slow, but overall, the stuff I've bought from them over the years has been as advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish View Post
    I thought maybe some one would have one sitting in the corner gathering dust. I would like to find one in decent condition.
    I have one, am pretty sure. Came off a 1912 Chilean that I upgraded to an Adams & Bennett. Still looking?

I bought one of these 19" barrels, installed it, made a mannliker stock for it out of cherry. Sold it. On the third round, the barrel split lengthwise from the mussel back about 12". A single tear. No bulge. The barrel was flawed. I rebarreled it and rebuilt the stock for the guy, no charge. Glad I was not sued!! Be careful of these things especially before you restock them. I have an ER Shaw 7x57 in new condition, threaded and chambered for $120 if you want it. J.