Thread: Bottom Paint....

Default Bottom Paint....

Recently aquired a older Glasply and spent last weekend stripping the bottom paint with a soda blaster, all came out well and am glad we did it as we can now see the bottom and know what we have.

There is plenty of small chips and some gelcoat that will need to be touched up.

After that we will repaint, trying to decide what to use, thinking about Interlux, either the VC Offshore or the VC performance, I am leaning towards the Performance version as this boat wil be trailered most of the time.

There will be occasions when the boat will be in the water for 10 days, maybe 2 weeks at a time, will 2 weeks be long enough to start developing bottom growth? Will I need to pressure wash the hull when we pull it out of the water?

What say you guys?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

You don't need to antifowl bottom paint it. My bowpicker was bottom painted when i first got it then i never painted it again for 20 years. I would have it in the water all summer and when it started growing a beard & slime all i did was put it on the trailer sprayed the bottom with Clorox bleach (out of a pump up garden sprayer) and dumped it back in, all the grass and slime would fall off. I usually only had to do it 2 or 3 times for the season(May to Sept). Spend your money on something besides bottom paint but do put a barrier coat on it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I would tend to disagree with Steve on this one only in the fact to protect the bottom. I would fix the chips with some epoxy and then seal it with some Interlux 2000E. Then put a few coats of bottom paint on. Even if you don't have to do it again for the next few yeras or so, it would be easy to do. I did mine a few years ago and it is still good. According to Interlux you should use Micron Extra for trailer boats as it holds up the best. Interlux has a great website:

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/diy/default.aspx

Here was my adventure in bottom paint.

http://clubsearay.com/showthread.php...s-Bottom-Paint

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    I would tend to disagree with Steve on this one only in the fact to protect the bottom. I would fix the chips with some epoxy and then seal it with some Interlux 2000E. Then put a few coats of bottom paint on. Even if you don't have to do it again for the next few yeras or so, it would be easy to do. I did mine a few years ago and it is still good. According to Interlux you should use Micron Extra for trailer boats as it holds up the best. Interlux has a great website:

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/diy/default.aspx

Here was my adventure in bottom paint.

http://clubsearay.com/showthread.php...s-Bottom-Paint
    Thanks for the reply, I read your thread on the Searay forum, what a adventure, we have stripped the existing bottom paint using a borrowed soda blaster, we started with a 10 pounder, than a bigger one and finally got serious with a 49HP compressor, it made quick work after we got the air soda mix dialed in.

I have to agree, the bottom defintely needs something if just to reseal and regelcoating is just not worth it, IMO. If the bottom was in better shape I would leave it be as Steve suggested, but there are some areas on the strakes where the gel is gone and plenty of small pocks in the gel that need to be filled. The hull is sound and there are no blisters.

So we have decided to paint and are considering Interlux VC Performance Epoxy, it is white, which I like and we can paint anti-foul bottom paint over it later if we end up leaving the boat in the water longer and growth becomes a problem.

It will require 3-4 coats according to Interlux, we are considering regelcoating the transom as there are several penetrations that we have eliminated, its just what happens after 30 years of use. I have been talking to Gel-Coat products in Seattle, they will do a custom color match if we send a sample, sound like good folks on the phone, anybody on here ever deal with the them. A gallon is $156.00 and the will make a pint of paste out of the gallon for other small fills that will need to be done.

I did get some soda blasting media from Jeremiah (Bullfrog Blasting) and he was very helpful....
    TR

Why not just repair the bottom dings and re-gel-cote the whole bottom then add a couple of barrier coats ?? I did say to barrier coat it in my first reply. I'd think about using any exoxy over the polyester resin already on the boat , you can use epoxy over polyester but if down the road you need to do anything else you'll always have to use epoxy because polyester doesn't work to well over epoxy. I might just be old school but i like sticking(no pun intended) with polyester. It seems odd to me that years ago nobody knew anything about barrier coats and the boats were fine, no problems, then the big time mass producers starting building boats and all kinds of problems came to light ??? I think if you have a older hull then you won't have any problems but if its something that 15 years old or newer then i'd be leery of thin gel-cote and hull lamination's that might give you problems. During my lobster boat search i got to know a few of the builders/hull finishers in Maine and none of them use much if any epoxy and those guys are Rembrandt's when it comes to working with fiberglass they build floating art !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

[QUOTE=potbuilder;1188024]Why not just repair the bottom dings and re-gel-cote the whole bottom then add a couple of barrier coats ?? I did say to barrier coat it in my first reply. I'd think about using any exoxy over the polyester resin already on the boat , you can use epoxy over polyester but if down the road you need to do anything else you'll always have to use epoxy because polyester doesn't work to well over epoxy. I might just be old school but i like sticking(no pun intended) with polyester. QUOTE]

I am still learning and was intially considering re-gelcoating, but from what I have read and the folks I have talked to I am thinking epoxy is superior, both in terms of paint and repairs. For instance Hatteras is now painting their hulls instead of just gelcoat.

The Gougeon Brothers developed the West System years ago and it is accepted and used worldwide, it is a lot tougher than poly.

Plus regelcoating sounds like it is a major project and I cant seem to identify any real benefit over painting, at least not on this boat as I dont think the gel is all that bad, in fact I think the hull is pretty darn good for a 30 year old glass boat.

According to Interlux the VC Epoxy can be covered with anti-foul later if we so decide that is something we want to do later the Epoxy would act as the barrier coat.

I have been learning what I can before I get commited, as I get more info it gets evaluated and plans change.....I appreciate all ideas at this point.....John
    TR

Steve,
    More input today, I finally made the conncetion with the sequence about laying epoxy over poly, I think thats what you were saying, I just didnt get it........

If we use epoxy for the repairs (fills in the hull) then it has to be primed prior to painting, thats a additional step I would like to avoid, however the epoxy paint can go directly over polyester. Sounds like you knew all that.........takes me awhile to get all this info sorted out......
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Steve,
    More input today, I finally made the conncetion with the sequence about laying epoxy over poly, I think thats what you were saying, I just didnt get it........

If we use epoxy for the repairs (fills in the hull) then it has to be primed prior to painting, thats a additional step I would like to avoid, however the epoxy paint can go directly over polyester. Sounds like you knew all that.........takes me awhile to get all this info sorted out......
    Yeah sort of what i was trying to say !! Just fill the scrapes and gouges with polyester hull and deck putty, sand fair and then you can do the epoxy paint but if down the road you bang up the bottom again you'll have to use epoxy putty/filler to fix it and then recoat with epoxy paint.
    Here's my project, i'm doing what they call a "split house" on my rig, new partition wall with a sliding door. I've got most of the plywood fabbed and fitted & the window cut out now have to round the edges, cover with chop mat, fair & sand smooth, gel cote & buff, make up the door slides and install the windows. Lots of fun doing boat projects at the Itchy and Scratchy Boatworks.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692