Thread: Power catamaran's

Default Power catamaran's

Just figured out I had this post in saltwater fishing. Anyway, anybody have experience with any power cats similar to what Noosa makes. How do they handle rough water, economy etc. Thanks

I have a Glacier Bay Catamaran. Not sure if my input is what you are looking for, but ask away if you want my opinion.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

How do you like the ride and rough water handling compared to a V-hull

Well, here is my opinion. The ride is way softer than a v-hull. I did a lot of research before I bought my Cat, and remember a test that Glacier Bay did comparing my boat to a "similar" v-hulled boat. They rode over a wake of another boat and read the "shock" from the wake that the hull would feel with a hull sensor, and they felt the wave shock was decrease by about 60% in the Cat hull.

Now, this is a company testing it's own boat, so take it for what it is worth. I can say the feel of wakes and waves is greatly reduced in the Cat hull, from my experience. Enough so that most people I take out are shocked by the reduction, and by how smooth the ride is overall.

But....everything comes an an expense. The down side to the Cat hull is you have to be careful about the angle the waves hit you at. You need to take the waves at the right angle, as too much wave from the side will hit you hard and cause an uneasy /unstable feeling.

The Cat hull rides flat on the water all the time. So cornering and taking waves from the side give the boater an "unusual" feeling. The bigger the waves (from the side) the more unstable you feel, as it leans the boat in the other direction. Think of it like a sports car that does not lean into the corners. Overall it feels good, but too much makes it feel way bad as it leans the way you don't want it to lean.

So, to sum it up (we could go on all day), it is a better design most of the time. When the waves get coming from the side, I end up "Tacking" like a sail boat does. You may not be able to head directly towards you destination, but you can zig-zag back and forth, and still get there in a fair amount of comfort. It is just a feeling that takes some getting use to.

Any more questions you have just send them my way.

AkBillyBow

Thanks for the info. I wonder if any of the charter captains are running catamarans?

What kind of cat are you looking at?
    Boatless

I thought I did see an aluminum cat that was a charter down in Whittier. Can't remember the name but can look at my old pictures and see if I can find it.

Cats are different, and the small percentage of people that love them will love them for ever. Most people are just not too familiar with them.

There is a reason that many of the large ferries are catamarans! Smooth, reliable, efficient and can carry a lot of weight without much compromise with their displacement hull design.

But, the catamaran is different and not for everyone's needs. Do some Internet research...you can find lots of good reading.

AkBillyBow

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    What kind of cat are you looking at?
    I'm looking at a Noosa right now but I'm open to any ideas.

if its the one on s.e. craigslist....probably a reason it been for sale for over 2 yrs....take a test ride when the weathers crappy or worse that way you can test it in all sea conditions

Default Power catamaran's

I find it interesting that the cat Chenega ferry runs all summer but when October hits and the weather picks up they send it south to calmer water and let the mono hull Aurora handle the winter weather. When I asked they said the Chenega can't handle the bad weather like the Aurora can.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

it breaks them apart....they had the same problem with the ones in s.e. in the winter in lynn canal. the older Twin Vee catamarans i've seen have stress crack issues too. seems like a mono has better ability to flex than to independent hulls tied together

I've got a customer who has a fairly large (38 or40') cat in whittier. He loves the boat but he told me it gets interesting when running side to the waves and each hull gets its own wave to ride on !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I've had experience on both twin vee's & also Sea Cat's (used to be made in the Carolina's I think) previous post about twin vee's problems are correct. Also have been on 28 & 34 custom fiberglass cats on Kauai. They can be great running into the chop at modest speeds IF they have been designed correctly (depth of hulls, tunnels, and how balanced they are REALISTICALLY loaded). I've yet to see or experience one I'd own.
    They just seem too sensitive overall to weight distribution & motor trimming but in all fairness have yet to experience a Glacier Cat.
    Also my exposure to them has been on Kauai where typical 15-25 trades & large open ocean swells are the norm, on ALL cats I've been on, they seem to behave poorly on big days running downswell, wanting to "dig" in one of the hulls and swerve the boat in that direction, forcing engines/drives to be trimmed way up to keep bow from burying itself.
    On paper and in "magazine" test conditions, It seems the catamaran concept is a great idea, and the Glacier Cats I've seen appear to be laid out nicely in respect to balance, would love to get on one someday.