Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Illegal harvest trooper report

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Illegal harvest trooper report

Sometimes i wish i could make some of these hearings.. JUST TO HEAR WHY!!!!!!!!!! they left the moose on the road...

Type: Take Sublegal Bull / Wanton Waste

Text: On 10-01-12, Alaska Wildlife Troopers issued misdemeanor citations to ***************, age 45 of Anchor Point, for taking a bull moose during closed season and wanton waste. The investigation began on 8-26-12 when another hunter came across a moose carcass on Tall Tree Avenue north of Anchor Point and contacted Wildlife Troopers. The bull had been shot and died in the middle of the roadway. Investigation revealed *********** had
    shot the moose in the early morning hours on 8-26-12 and after measuring the antlers at less than 50 inches; he left the area without salvaging any of the meat. *********** is scheduled to appear for arraignment in Homer District Court on 10/30/12 at 0900 hours.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 10-08-2012 at 14:32.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If you're hunting during a closed season, why do you care what the spread is?
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

'The Stupid' will never stop.....another of the countless idiots with an idea about hunting, faces the work and runs like hell.......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Sometimes i wish i could make some of these hearings.. JUST TO HEAR WHY!!!!!!!!!! they left the moose on the road...
    Isn't it obvious? He left it in the road because it measured less than 50 inches.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Should lose the right to hunt for life and not be allowed to have firearms in this case. If he had turned it in losing hunting for one year and help salvage moose off highway for one year min 20hrs.JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    If you're hunting during a closed season, why do you care what the spread is?
    He was a trophy poacher...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I'm glad they caught this poor excuse of a hunter. Just think of all the ones they probably don't catch.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Season opens here on 8/20, but there is no open season on bulls under 50" so i believe that is the basis of the "taking of moose during closed season".
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

And I'd object to calling this guy a hunter . . he's a poacher, pure and simple.

From Wikipedia:

"Poaching is the illegal taking of wild plants or animals; the law concerned may be e.g. the law of property or local or internationalconservation and wildlife management laws. Violations of hunting laws and regulations are normally punishable by law and, collectively, such violations are known as poaching."

I'll rephrase that then...stupid poacher got what he deserved!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Here's another...

Case number: 12239994
    Type: Feeding Game
    Text: On 10-03-12, Alaska Wildlife Troopers cited ****** **********, age 31
    of Kachemak Selo, for negligently leaving human food and garbage near his
    residence in a manner that attracted a brown bear sow. The adult bear was
    later shot and killed by ********* in defense of life and property. Bail is
    set at $310 in Homer District Court.
    Author: TRC1 Received Monday, October 08, 2012 7:08 AM and posted Monday,
    October 08, 2012 7:55 AM
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Near or at his residence?

Troopers normally don't take the time to push a stupid issue. Not to say they don't, at times, make a bad call. Resultant DLP is a biggie.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Troopers have had a busy season. Check 9/15 dispatches.

Nothin but dead swans, sub-legal rams, moose killed in draw permit areas, no evidence on sex.

Geez.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Ya know, we all make mistakes from time to time. Like my mistake was failure to validate my harvest ticket. I could have validated it when he pulled up but my integrity stopped me from "cheating". This, to me, was a mistake. However, How do you shoot a sublegal bull or ram? If its that close, dont shoot. If you do have that lapse in judgement, be man or woman enough to respect the animal, turn yourself in and ensure the animal is not wasted. It really sickens me to see animals wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyhuntinAK View Post
    It really sickens me to see animals wasted.
    Yeah......it's one thing to screw up, but it's altogether another to waste an animal.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyhuntinAK View Post
    If you do have that lapse in judgement, be man or woman enough to respect the animal, turn yourself in and ensure the animal is not wasted.
    Surprisingly, most of the sub-legal moose and bou the hunter turned themselves in and the meat was seized and turned over to charity.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Surprisingly, most of the sub-legal moose and bou the hunter turned themselves in and the meat was seized and turned over to charity.
    Who keeps figures on that? I'd be interested in seeing what those numbers are.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Awesome!! At least they turned themselves in and salvaged the meat. Hopefully they make better judgements next time and shoot a legal animal.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I don't know if anyone does, it was just a trend I saw when reading the trooper dispatches.

http://dps.alaska.gov/PIO/dispatch/

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    ADFG keeps those figures...I've seen them previously but don't know if they're posted online.

Self turn ins generally outnumber poachers caught by Troopers...self turn in generally makes it an administrative hassle, not a full-on legal battle.

Of course- how many are there who don't turn themselves in and don't get caught? Plenty.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast