Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWS in October

Default PWS in October

Well, I have never had my boat out in PWS in October, but am considering a quick trip (out of Whittier) since I wasn't out much this year.

What can one expect for weather and seas out there in October? How about fishing? Are the Halibut all moved out by now? How short is the sunshine out there now?

If I went I would go out to go deer hunting and some fishing...but don't know what too expect.

Thanks for your input.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

I just returned from a weekend spent on the Sound. The water was flat and the temperatures were mild. I wouldn't trust the marine forecast out beyond a day. It sure seems to change quickly out there. This weeks forecast looks about as good as I have seen it. We didn't spend any time fishing, but we did pick up some oysters from Perry Island. Know your limitations and you will be fine. The espar sure was nice!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

The wind in October can come up quick and blow for pretty long. Bring plenty of supplies, know the location of a good Hurricane Hole where you are going, bring extra line in case you need to tie off to a tree on shore to supplement your anchoring setup, and don't take chances when you can wait out the weather. October is a great time to be out there, just plan accordingly.

I have gone out on a couple of late season deer hunts (chartering), it was late November and the sound was gorgeous, the first trip we had good weather the whole time. The second trip was a bit rough coming back to Valdez, 11' plus seas and making 1-2 knots along the arm, the wind was howling and it was getting dark. To further complicate the situation there was no defrost and the charging system was out. It was 0 in Valdez and the boat was growing ice pretty quickly and not much traffic out there if help was needed. This was a 42' boat and a seasoned captain.

Would I do it in a smaller, boat? No question, but plan to be prepared and flexible enough to work around the weather.

Leaving port or a good anchorage hoping the weather will improve is courting disaster.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Thanks for your inputs. Would like to head out and hunt some deer, but not sure if it will happen yet. Just a thought that popped into my head, without any planning yet.

I do hate those long dark nights, swinging in the hook....hoping you'll hold!! Lots of darkness out there in Oct, Nov I am sure!!

Thanks...AkBillyBow

Be ready to stay, get a big anchor with lots of chain and a good powerful spotlight is real helpful.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best......
    Just make sure you have enough stuff to get you by a day or two if you get stuck out there. Weather there changes quick in the winter.
    Also Make sure you have chains for you truck just in case the ramp becomes nasty.....
    I go out tell mid December. Last year Dec 6 it was flat and clam. It felt like a nice summer day out there. Temp was warm.
    Also you can park by the launch during Nov/Dec time frame.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Be ready to stay, get a big anchor with lots of chain and a good powerful spotlight is real helpful.
    I have a 22 foot chain that attaches to my anchor. I double up on the chain.. This helps to stay anchored if it gets rough.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Some of the best trips have been Oct & early Nov, blue berrys, halibut, ling cod, black bear, have not got a deer in a while, wish my boat was up and ready to go or I'd be out. PWS since 1979 and this is a great time of year! But check weather WX twice a day, and be ready to lay up, down rigger weight also added to anchor chain is a fast fix / help.

I am thinking of chasing some sea dux around this saturday - so far the weather forecast is good - but too early to tell.

Can we park in the main parking lot close to the ramp yet?

Blue berries into November - really? We are short on those.......

Our trip to Cordova didn't work out this summer (although my wife and I enjoyed exploring Naked waiting for the fog to lift) but maybe we can coordinate a trip this fall. Shoot me a pm and we can discuss.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    Our trip to Cordova didn't work out this summer (although my wife and I enjoyed exploring Naked waiting for the fog to lift) but maybe we can coordinate a trip this fall. Shoot me a pm and we can discuss.
    AKBillyBow-This directed to you!
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Hmmm, nekkid exploring - could create a new fad...........LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Hmmm, nekkid exploring - could create a new fad...........LOL.
    I was thinking along the same lines. Covered by the fog...
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

On a more serious note, watch the tow going into Portage Valley. It was a bit dicey my last trip of the year last year. It was fine in Anchorage, but below freezing ans slippery as I approached the tunnel. You don't want to be one of those that post a picture of your boat upside down in the ditch.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

i was out there sat.-mon. flat calm but super foggy & sometimes rainy. didn't go further than culross. tried crabbing which sucked. pulled up more shrimp than crab. very pleasant experience being this late in the game

rain rain rain, wind wind fog fog fog,rain wind fog rain,

Was out Friday through Monday. Perry Friday night, Knight Saturday night, and Montague Sunday Night, rain fog rain fog rain fog.... Didn't get clear over us until we were on our way back. It was a good last trip of the season.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

You guys are making me nervous. Going to reconsider...or should I say more seriously consider this idea.

TriIron, I will get with you if it sounds like a go.

Thanks all !!

I am heading out in the morning. See what we can find. Seas don't look too bad, but it did increast to 5-10mph NE wind. Snow in the morning........perfect for a little duck hunt'n.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast