Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firearms in the vehicle

Default Firearms in the vehicle

Just moved back to the "real" world (FBKS) this summer from the bush(NOME). More people, more cops, less places to shoot. More places I'm afraid to park the car if I have guns going to, or coming from, the range.
    My real fear is getting pulled over for a traffic stop while on the way to or from the range. I like shooting and reloading. Might have as many as 5 rifles in the car. Wondering if multiple firearms in the vehicle will arouse an officers suspicions and maybe get my guns confiscated by an over jealous officer. ( I'm completely legal to own and posses firearms).
    Are you supposed to declare guns in plain sight thru the car window when pulled over?
    Fbks patrol officers now have an "8 contacts per week" traffic quota. Figure the chance of getting pulled over has gone up!

Anyone have experience, words of wisdom?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I lived in Fairbanks from 1989-1997 and never had any issues with LEO's and me having guns in my vehicle and I never declared them either but always had them in plain sight or all the way in the back out of reach.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Never had a problem with it mike... just dont be under the influance or they get your for weapons misconduct...

if its in reach of the driver, it should be delcaired.. though they tend to worry more about hand guns .. then Long Guns.. keep in the back seat, and you should have no worry..

the 8 stops a week, really wont add anything more to what you already see out there...

though we tend to have a younger fource of guys on FPD that have not seen a whole bunch of life lessons yet, the ones i know are still decent people, and tend to react more toward attitude as we all do...

i would concern self MORE with the airport Police and the Univercity police... they tend to be BORRRRREEED stiff.. and have a higher percentage of pull overs.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Just moved back to the "real" world (FBKS) this summer from the bush(NOME). More people, more cops, less places to shoot. More places I'm afraid to park the car if I have guns going to, or coming from, the range.
    My real fear is getting pulled over for a traffic stop while on the way to or from the range. I like shooting and reloading. Might have as many as 5 rifles in the car. Wondering if multiple firearms in the vehicle will arouse an officers suspicions and maybe get my guns confiscated by an over jealous officer. ( I'm completely legal to own and posses firearms).
    Are you supposed to declare guns in plain sight thru the car window when pulled over?
    Fbks patrol officers now have an "8 contacts per week" traffic quota. Figure the chance of getting pulled over has gone up!

Words of wisdom? How about cops have a tough job to do and don't deserve your denigration. Your insinuations are silly and baseless, and it sounds like you're only trying to stir the pot.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

It is state law to inform an officer upon contact, make it the first thing you do. They CAN NOT confiscate a firearm if you are legally allowed to own them. I've had more than a hand full of firearms in my truck and got stopped once, no issues. If it raises any suspicions all they can do is check your records. If nothing comes back they can't do a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    It is state law to inform an officer upon contact, make it the first thing you do.
    This law refers to concealed carry, not transporting firearms in vehicles.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Words of wisdom? How about cops have a tough job to do and don't deserve your denigration. Your insinuations are silly and baseless, and it sounds like you're only trying to stir the pot.
    WOW, how do you come to that from his post? I don't think he made any insinuations or is trying ti stir the pot. Take a breathe, it's only Monday.

"...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

You're right, concealed carry. And if a firearm isn't in plain sight it's concealed. But like you said, cops have a tough job so why not let them know up front.

WOW, how do you come to that from his post? I don't think he made any insinuations or is trying ti stir the pot. Take a breathe, it's only Monday.
    When's the last time a cop 'confiscated' someones weapons because he/she was "over jealous"? Give me a break.
    #Resist

When's the last time a cop 'confiscated' someones weapons because he/she was "over jealous"? Give me a break.
    I'm pretty sure he meant "over zealous", not "jealous".

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

actually, it does
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'm pretty sure he meant "over zealous", not "jealous".

Oh. Well, that's different. Inferring a cop is going to be over zealous, and therefore "confiscate" your weapons without cause, is not nearly as derogatory as inferring said cop might simply be jealous. I was confused. I apologize.
    #Resist

It shouldn’t be an issue at all. As far as I know you are not required to declare weapons that aren’t concealed but I think doing so is a wise thing. For me if they are say locked in the trunk I’d say nothing till asked if I have any. But if they are in plain view I’d just say something like “hello officer, just so you know I have gun/big knife/whatever “weapons” in the car/truck but nun on my person” with both hands on the wheel in clear view. This covers your duty to inform in case there is one you didn’t conceder a concealed weapon but he does and helps build some trust with him.

Naturally if you do have a weapon on concealed on your person or inside the vehicle out of site but accessible to you then YOU MUST tell them. Right at first in a traffic stop cops are reading your actions more than anything, things like respectfully telling them whereabouts of weapons and keeping hands still in plain view will make for a much better and faster encounter.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Oh. Well, that's different. Inferring a cop is going to be over zealous, and therefore "confiscate" your weapons without cause, is not nearly as derogatory as inferring said cop might simply be jealous. I was confused. I apologize.
    You do realize he was just asking a simple and honest question right? We all know cops have a tough job. And cops are human and make mistakes just like everyone else. I think you're going a little overboard with this one.

Does the law still say your handgun can be loaded but rifle/shotgun must be unloaded?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

What words of 'wisdom'?

I would expect Anchorage to be more paranoid as they resemble a city from the lower 48 more. I have been pulled over a few times for taillights, registration, etc and always been treated fine. Sometimes they ask questions like 'Where is it (in the center console), what is it (a revolver), and sometimes Why do you have it (umm, because I'm allowed to). One time they asked me to step out of the car for the duration of the stop. Whatever. Seems if you have a good attitude about it it's no big deal. I'd expect Fairbanks to be even more used to gun-toters and hunters, especially since there are legal hunting areas within and touching the city limits. I havent heard of someone shooting at cops in Fairbanks in years. They're probably a lot more laid back.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

You do realize he was just asking a simple and honest question right? We all know cops have a tough job. And cops are human and make mistakes just like everyone else. I think you're going a little overboard with this one.

Fair enough.

Just moved back to the "real" world (FBKS) this summer from the bush(NOME). Welcome to Fairbanks. Hopefully, the benefits and the new job outweigh the downside of living in a big city. More people, more cops, less places to shoot. True story. More places I'm afraid to park the car if I have guns going to, or coming from, the range. Yup. I don't leave my vehicle unattended anywhere in Fairbanks with firearms inside, unless they are well secured and out of sight (such as in the trunk), and then not for very long. My real fear is getting pulled over for a traffic stop while on the way to or from the range. Respectfully, I think your fear is irrational. I like shooting and reloading. Might have as many as 5 rifles in the car. Me too. Nothing wrong with that. Wondering if multiple firearms in the vehicle will arouse an officers suspicions and maybe get my guns confiscated by an over jealous officer. Certainly not. Why would you think this? ( I'm completely legal to own and posses firearms). Good! If this were not the case, and you were driving around in possession of multiple firearms, it would mean you were just another criminal. We've got too many of them around here already, and too few cops to keep them in check. Are you supposed to declare guns in plain sight thru the car window when pulled over? The law requires that if you are carrying concealed, you must state so to an officer upon being contacted. No such requirement exists for weapons being transported in a vehicle (and not on your person). Fbks patrol officers now have an "8 contacts per week" traffic quota. Figure the chance of getting pulled over has gone up! It's not a traffic quota. It's a requirement to document that each officer is making some sort of personal interaction with the citizens they are paid to serve. The intent is to promote cops getting out of vehicles and actually interacting with people. (Think of the neighborhood foot cop on the beat of days gone by). It's a fact that more personal interaction with the community has a beneficial effect of reducing crime, whereas isolating oneself leads to the opposite. Management is simply taking one tiny step in the right direction, by motivating individual cops to get out and interact with the community. It's a good thing. Your chance of being pulled over has not increased at all.

Anyone have experience, words of wisdom? Say howdy to your local cop when you see him/her. Let him know you appreciate his/her service in helping you keep our community safe.
    #Resist

I've never had any issue with AK police and transporting or carrying firearms.

I've declared loaded handguns twice, my wife has once - with my wife the officer took possession of the weapon for the duration of the stop and handed it back with her ticket.

My interactions were courtesy stops (trailer lights on the fritz) and the officer didn't ask to see or take possession either time. One time the Trooper just grinned and said- "Appreciate it, I assume everybody has a gun around here"

Unloaded and cased long guns in the back I won't bother talking about unless I was asked specifically, I would probably declare a loaded rifle or one in plain view but I don't transport long guns that way.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thanks AKHunterNP. Your right, just asking questions. However, to insinuate that officers are NEVER overzealous is just as bad IMO as insinuating they always are.
    I was stopped this summer on the way home from work by an Airport police vehicle. His stated reasons for pulling me over were bogus and he was "overzealous" again, IMO. I hear stories from others of "overzealous" officers.
    If I get stopped with firearms in the vehicle I will probably declare whether in open sight or not. I try to maintain a polite attitude when conversing during traffic stops. I keep my hands on the wheel when pulled over. But I do worry that an officer will look crossways at a person with multiple firearms in his vehicle. I also worry about stopping at a store on the way to or from the range and having someone see firearms and call police.
    Maybe I watch too much TV!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast