Thread: Open Water?

Default Open Water?

is there any open water in the mat su valley to run boats in yet? hope the big su goes out soon!! im ready

Default Not yet

I looked at the lakes yesterday and still not open. I will go by them again today and let ya know.

No lakes but you could run the knik river saturday I saw three air boats running it

Finger should be the next water open, followed by the north end of Big Lake (including the creek for those that want to learn how to run a jet. No rocks, just brush/tall grass if you mess up).

Smile wheres the launch for north end of big lake?

dirtofak,

thats exactly what I need to do, practice with the new boat. get used to her moves. where is the launch, and how do I get to it. I'll be coming from chugiak.

Default Tanana is kinda open

I finally found a spot that was ice-free enough to back the boat in. Ran 10 or 12 miles up the river, jumping ice flows and generally having a ball. Got into a race with a guy in a 20 X 56 and a 70 hp jet. we were pretty evenly matched until we came to some flows that were completely across the river. I didn't even slow down and slid across about 20 ft of ice. He wasn't quite as confident and slowed to push some ice out of the way. I never saw him again. Don't you love mudmotors? On the trip back to the trailer I got stopped by an ice jam about 1/2 mile upstream. It was 300 or 400 yds across and piling up. I thought of giving it a try (for about 3 seconds), but fortunately common sense prevailed. I had to run several miles upstream to another landing and get someone to give me a ride to my truck. I'm glad I didn't wait, 24 hrs later the jam is still there but bigger.

What a great day! I got to burn fossil fuel in gorgeous weather and came away with a couple of new stories. This officially starts the river boating season, for me, in interior Alaska. Hopefully the Yukon will open up in a couple of weeks and I can get serious.

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    dirtofak,

thats exactly what I need to do, practice with the new boat. get used to her moves. where is the launch, and how do I get to it. I'll be coming from chugiak.
    I believe the launch to be near mile 5 of Big Lake Road. I started by cutting squares in the lake. Clockwise and counter clockwise and at different speeds.

Whatever you do, learn to NOT chop the throttle in a turn. Its a bad thing. No steering.

Default Knik last friday

We got a couple miles up before the ice got too much to get through... Sort of erie once you go by and set some of the floes loose to potentially clog up below you... cant take anything for granted...

where did you guys launch into the knik at? did you have any problems getting stuck?

Default I take it you saw our tracks...

You mean stuck in the boat, or stuck in the truck? We launced below the old highway bridge and it was really soft, stuck a dozen times trying to get the boat in the water, actually pulled it up and across the loose pea gravel with a long line and trailered it up once on solid ground when we came out. Still was nice to get wet for a minute or two. Got to remember, big rivers and big ice can really ruin your day, keep lots of "outs" in your back pocket.
    Last edited by chriso; 04-25-2007 at 22:14. Reason: sp

Default knik river

just got back from the knik glacier, good run, one small spot was still froze, had to glide across one frozen spot but it wasnt too bad.

Default I thought that was you!

Good run? The gaging station online doesn't seem to be working, how was the water level?

water level seemed fine, not to shallow anyway
    hit one rock up towards the glacier no damage though thank god
    first time running up there, does the water level change alot on the knik?