Thread: Secret sheep location & story

Default Secret sheep location & story

So in response to everyone asking me where my brother JD and I shot our sheep this year, I am writing the entire true story.

So there we were…at the trailhead that lead to sheep heaven. We snapped a few photos as we cruised passed the trailhead sign.
    Untitled.jpg

I had better start at the beginning so that you don’t miss any of the details on how to get there or the hardships we encountered.

It was Thursday August 9th and we were in Palmer Alaska going over our packing lists. My brother, my good friend Dan and myself all made sure that we had all of the necessary stuff like Mountain dew and our Gameboys and PSP’s. We made sure to pack extra Doritos and I grabbed my laptop, which if any of you have ever been sheep hunting in Alaska you now know that your laptop, Doritos, and Mountain Dew are at the top of your packing list.

We drove about 4 hours and arrived at our base camp. I took a photo of the base camp so that I could remember how harsh the conditions were.
    Untitled1.jpg
    The service was horrible and we were definitely given allot of weird looks by the staff when we carried our rifles to our rooms. Some people even commented on our camo attire, which we thought was very rude.

5 am came early as we loaded our gear on to the chariot that would carry us to sheep mecca. The other people were calling it a “tour bus” but I preferred to call it the “ram range rover”.

There were all sorts of tourists on the safari with us. Most of them were small oriental people that weren’t sure what to think of us until we explained that we were there to take tissue and horn samples of mature full curl rams. They looked much more comfortable with us once they knew that we were on official business.

We had been driving for a few hours and the bus driver had stopped in a few locations and allowed us to take some photos. We were just getting into some beautiful sheep country and Dan and my brother were spotting out the window while I was explaining to one of the oriental tourists (He told me his name was Charlie, which I though was kind of odd) about my ghillie suit that I was wearing, when all of a sudden Dan yelled “RAMS”. We hurried and grabbed our rifles as we ran towards the front of the bus. We yelled at the bus driver to stop but he was hesitant at first until we threatened to cut off his hippie dread locks. He quickly complied with our demands and stopped the bus.
    Untitled2.jpg

All three of us piled out of the bus (followed by a whole heard of little oriental people, and Charlie) and threw up our binos and spotters. There were 4 rams at about 240 yards. One was broomed on the side that we could see but he wouldn’t let us see the other side. Finally, we got the look we needed and I said, “it’s a double broomer. Shoot!” The shot was perfect and the sheep was instantly down. It was such a joyous moment. It almost brought a tear to my eye thinking about all the hard work that we had done up to this point. To think about all the sacrifice and time that was spent to make that one moment happen for my brother. It was magical.

We gave the hippie driver a tip to throw the entire field dressed ram into the back of the bus. I can’t remember what he said because I couldn’t really understand him since he appeared to be crying. Regardless, we drug the ram down the hill and stuffed him in one of the rear seats of the bus and were on our way. All of the little oriental tourists in the bus were very curious to see what raw sheep taste like, so we let them cut off some chunks and eat it. They all said that they agreed it had a flavor that was a distinct cross between cat and dog. We had to take their word for it.

We arrived back to the hotel late that evening and we were exhausted. Those of you that have been on sheep hunts know the exhaustion that I am referring to. We packed our things and our ram into the car and drove back to Palmer.

A few weeks later we received many emails containing photos and video of our hunt from Charlie and his large oriental family. They were ever so gracious to take photos for us.
    P8310076_2.jpg
    I’m sure that many of you will ask me what I would have done differently in this hunt and what equipment I would recommend or what I would have left at home. So here it is. I probably would have stopped by the feed store and bought some sheep feed. I figure that it would have come in handy because we probably could have coaxed the ram a little closer to the bus if we would have had some feed. By doing this we could have avoided the long pack to the bus. My back is still killing me from all the work.

I definitely recommend purchasing an Alaska Department of Fish and Game hat. It makes you look much more official. People tend to ask way fewer questions, especially when you pair it with a dark green vest that has an ADFG patch sewed on. All these items can be picked up on EBay for cheap.

Well, here’s one last photo to show the great memories that we created on this very difficult sheep hunt. Don’t ever let anyone tell you that sheep hunting can be easy. It takes months of planning, preparation, dedication, and training. Also, make sure you make your reservations for the tour/safari bus in advance because the seats fill up fast.
    P8310079.jpg

DISCLAMER:
    The names, events, and possibly the whole story line written here may be falsified. If you try to shoot a sheep in Denali Park you may not be popular with the park ranger or the local hippies, but you will have my full respect. Happy Hunting!

Sounds like an awesome hunt! How much did the bus ride cost? Could you give us the exact GPS coordinates of where you shot the sheep so we can all go there next year and take a nice ram just like the one pictured.

Nice! How did your gear handle the weather on the bus?
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Troutnut View Post
    Nice! How did your gear handle the weather on the bus?
    Yeah, the normal sorts of gear challenges:
    - abrasion
    - sun/uv
    - sitting in the dark hold of the bus baggage compartment, with the next "hunters" Metamucil dripping into your gear

Sounds like a logistical nightmare for a hunt, your travel agent must really do some good work to get a great base camp site and a seat on the safari bus. Im sure it was money well spent for a nice ram like that.

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    I definitely recommend purchasing an Alaska Department of Fish and Game hat. It makes you look much more official. People tend to ask way fewer questions, especially when you pair it with a dark green vest that has an ADFG patch sewed on. All these items can be picked up on EBay for cheap.

Well, here’s one last photo to show the great memories that we created on this very difficult sheep hunt. Don’t ever let anyone tell you that sheep hunting can be easy. It takes months of planning, preparation, dedication, and training. Also, make sure you make your reservations for the tour/safari bus in advance because the seats fill up fast.

DISCLAMER:
    The names, events, and possibly the whole story line written here may be falsified. If you try to shoot a sheep in Denali Park you may not be popular with the park ranger or the local hippies, but you will have my full respect. Happy Hunting!
    Quite the 'tall tale' ... I'm sure you may not be too popular with the Dept. of Fish & Game either, if you got caught impersonating one of their officials!
    Nice little hunting story, and thanks for giving out your secret sheep hunting spot! You are more generous than most! ( Just kidding, if I felt like I needed to know someones secret hunting spot, I may as well give up hunting! )
    "Grin and Bear It"

About what mile marker did you stop the bus?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Good job on the tall tale!

I'd be willing to bet a little further down the road would have been a 40"+ ram hog tied and waiting for the first confirmed sheep harvesting with a knife! But that would have required at least another 5 minute ride down the road and would have made for a heavier head on the sheep which no one wants when you're already pushed to your max. I guess double broomer makes sense now that I think of it! HAHAHA

AZinAK

Classic! I have been thinking hard about going out on my first sheep hunt and I just knew all these other yahoos have been overthinking it. I am sure mister "Seven Mountain Ranges, Seven Rams, Two Legs" is wishing he would have taken more time and thought his hunts out more. Denali Princess Lodge, Tour Bus, Doritos, and Mt Dew = Roughin' it Alaskan Style.

You know, if you had just waited 1 more month your hunt could have been simpler by using a Denali Road Lottery ticket that you had won or bought off of Craigslist. It also would have had more of a "wilderness" feel to it as you could have 4X4'd off the road to close the distance to the ram.

We'd all like to thank you though for instilling such a positive view of hunters in your fellow bus companions. I'm sure they will talk about the Grand Alaskan Adventure that they were able to share with some true Alaskans. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    .....I'm sure they will talk about the Grand Alaskan Adventure that they were able to share with some true Alaskans. lol
    It was "a true Alaskan wilderness experience" don't ya know.....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I've been wanting to go on my first sheep hunt and now I know how it is done. Thanks! Question, was there room on the bus for a LED TV and a Wii? I'm not sure I could do a hunt without them...

907pride,

What bus number were you on. I tried this hunt last year and didn't see anything legal. I know it must have had something to do with the number on the bus.

Randy

Something seems "fishy" here to me????
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    I probably would have stopped by the feed store and bought some sheep feed. I figure that it would have come in handy because we probably could have coaxed the ram a little closer to the bus if we would have had some feed. By doing this we could have avoided the long pack to the bus. My back is still killing me from all the work.
    You should have just went down Turnagain Arm. I bagged my 40 incher near Windy and he tumbled right into the bed of the Super Poopy. I met a guy named Charlie down there, too. Weird. Also, an Alaska State Parks hat is a good tool in that neck of the woods, as well as a flashing light on top of the cab, plugged into the cigarette lighter. Happy hunting....

Default Secret sheep location & story

Better yet buy a forest green f250 pick up,..
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..