Thread: Spring Shrimp

Default Spring Shrimp

Let me see if I can attach a photo or two of our first try at shrimping. We dropped two pots at about 415 feet and ended up with about 80 shrimp between the two pots. I only had them in the water for about three hours. I had no idea that the shrimp would be so big.
    Last edited by OneRound; 09-30-2007 at 16:59.

Just a tip for the future, if you only attach one picture per post they will show up in-line, instead of just as links. Also, if you post pictures from a file-hosting service like www.photobucket.com you can post up to three pictures in a single post and they'll all show up. Also, the pictures can be much larger using the latter method.

Congrats on the shrimp! Man, I can't wait to get out there.

Nice! I wish my first attempt at shrimping was so successful. Good Job!

Default Been Slow

Most people are declaring a slow beginning. I have only had about 300 for 3 pulls so far. Should be way more than that. Of course someone pulled my pots between last Tuesday and Thursday.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

yup those spot shrimp are fatty
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Thanks, Brian,

....for the info on posting photos. I'll try that next time. Hopefully, I'll be able to post more photos after this upcoming weekend.

We had half of those shrimp for dinner tonite. Man, that's living.

A couple of folks have asked for more specifics about our shrimping location. We caught these near the head of Cochrane Bay. I'm the last guy to give advice, but on your fishfinder, look for a shelf, or dropoff area, and drop your pots along that shelf. 400-450 was a very good depth for us. No telling if that's the right depth at other locations. I also had a pot at 300 and it didn't do as well (about 30 smaller shrimp). I also looked for a waterfall or stream coming off a cliff on the side. I heard that a stream or waterfall dumps nutrients (bio junk) into the water for the shrimp. Other folks who know about shrimping told me that line of reasoning. May be an old wives' tale, but it seems to have worked this time.

Best of luck to all, and I'll see you out there.

Default Thanks, Brian,

....for the info on posting photos. I'll try that next time. Hopefully, I'll be able to post more photos after this upcoming weekend.

We had half of those shrimp for dinner tonite. Man, that's living.

A couple of folks have asked for more specifics about our shrimping location. We caught these near the head of Cochrane Bay. I'm the last guy to give advice, but on your fishfinder, look for a shelf, or dropoff area, and drop your pots along that shelf. 400-450 was a very good depth for us. No telling if that's the right depth at other locations. I also had a pot at 300 and it didn't do as well (about 30 smaller shrimp). I also looked for a waterfall or stream coming off a cliff on the side. I heard that a stream or waterfall dumps nutrients (bio junk) into the water for the shrimp. Other folks who know about shrimping told me that line of reasoning. May be an old wives' tale, but it seems to have worked this time.

Best of luck to all, and I'll see you out there.