Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Archery Elk Hunt Raffle-Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Default Colorado Archery Elk Hunt Raffle-Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Colorado Archery Elk Hunt Raffle for 7 day hunt in 2013. Winner drawn at Cook Inlet Chapter banquet on November 17, 2012.

Raffle winner will hunt at the Wild Bunch Ranch near Craig, CO. The winner can be accompanied by and mentor one youth hunter (<16 years old) at no additional charge. The hunt does not include license, tags, meals or transport to and from the ranch.

Additional adult ($1200 each) and youth ($600) hunters can be added to the hunt party. Bring 3 or more hunters and have the entire 3800 acre ranch to yourselves for the week long hunt. If you have less than 3 hunters, the donor may bring in another 2 hunters to share the 7 days.

Deer tags are also available by drawing through Colorado Division of Wildlife without needing preference points.

Hunt is unguided, but guides are available (2 hunters:1 guide) for $150 daily.

For additional information about the ranch go to their website at www.elk-craigwildbunch.com

Tickets $20 each at www.rmef.org/Alaska or call Jessica at 677-8557 any day before 9pm.
    Only 300 tickets will be sold for this raffle.

Do you need to be present at the banquet to win? I can't make the banquet, but would be interested in buying a ticket or two.

I'm finding out. I am fairly sure that we'll call the winner if they are not present, but I will confirm.

randy

Brian,

Need not be present to win. We'll give you a call if we pull your ticket.

For those of you that are not familar, Craig, Colorado is a hunting mecca. Elk, mule deer and pronghorn are everywhere!! I trek from PA to CO every other year to DIY back country bow hunt for elk. On a couple real cold, snowy years, I had to hit the motel mid week as the tent wasn't cutting it. There is no hunting in the city limits which include the surrounding hills, valleys and river bottoms. Wildlife is everywhere. I have videoed mule deer bedded on the high school football field, trophy antelope literally running around in the parking lot of the hotel, and an alfalfa field just down the road with fifty muley bucks in it, of which 20 would make the Eastmans trophy trailer. The people of Craig are second to none. Twenty minutes outside of town the beautiful Rocky mountains await. Truly an American hunting town. Don't know if it compares to AK, but it is definitley a very special place. Make the trip if you are ever able.

Apologies to the previous posters (including the mod) but how the heck does this have anything to do with Alaska Hunting? Yes, I do understand that this Outside org has some Alaskan membership, and some little projects here, but that ain't Alaskan Hunting.

Is there even a single RM Elk anywhere in Alaska? Not that I've herd.

That said, if anyone wanted to talk about the suitability/sustainability of RM Elk here, that'd be in interesting discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Apologies to the previous posters (including the mod) but how the heck does this have anything to do with Alaska Hunting? Yes, I do understand that this Outside org has some Alaskan membership, and some little projects here, but that ain't Alaskan Hunting.

That said, if anyone wanted to talk about the suitability/sustainability of RM Elk here, that'd be in interesting discussion.

I think RM elk are here. If I remember correctly, when the elk were planted on Etolin, 24 were Roosevelts and 24 were Rockies. I'll have to ask my buddy who was there helping the planting to confirm it for me.

He just mentioned second place.First place is you get to stay home in Alaska
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Kingfisher is correct. The introduction onto Etolin Island (back in the early 60's if I remember correctly) was Roosies one year and Rockies the next. Guess they were trying to diversify the gene pool.

As far as FamilyMan's question about suitability/sustainability. It's not going to happen. Invasive species, not native to the area. And that is were the discussion comes to an end.... except for one small window along the Canadian border were the elk herd that is in the Yukon has (arguably) some historic presence in the the far eastern interior of Alaska. We can only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by happytobeinAK View Post
    Kingfisher is correct. The introduction onto Etolin Island (back in the early 60's if I remember correctly) was Roosies one year and Rockies the next. Guess they were trying to diversify the gene pool.

As far as FamilyMan's question about suitability/sustainability. It's not going to happen. Invasive species, not native to the area. And that is were the discussion comes to an end.... except for one small window along the Canadian border were the elk herd that is in the Yukon has (arguably) some historic presence in the the far eastern interior of Alaska. We can only hope.
    It was in the late 70's or early 80's. I moved here in '72 and it happened a bunch of years after that. My buddy is out hunting and hopefully I'll get the answers from him Monday.

I did not remember correctly, and kingfisher was much closer.

Etolin Island introduction was actually in 1986 according to ADF&G website.

I believe it was in the 60's when they tried to introduce some elk on Gravina Island-just across from Ktn. A home owner found them in his garden and ended up shooting however many were left after a few bad years.

I can't seem to find where to purchase the raffle tickets on the link site provided...

I'm thinking around 60% died the first year on Zerembo
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Ak-pilot View Post
    I can't seem to find where to purchase the raffle tickets on the link site provided...
    go to www.rmef.org/Alaska

Look for the events section in middle of page and go to the line for Cook Inlet Chapter tickets. Click the buy online prompt to access raffle tickets and/or tickets for the banquet which is November 17th. If you don't want to go online, call Jessica at the phone number provided.

For additional clarification: All tickets available online are NEED NOT BE PRESENT TO WIN. We will be happy to call you and let you know the good news!

pm with additional questions if you have any and good luck

Tom

Thanks Tom. I got that far into the website. I dont see a selection for raffle tix for the hunt. Only $20 tickets are for rifles, am i still missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I think RM elk are here. If I remember correctly, when the elk were planted on Etolin, 24 were Roosevelts and 24 were Rockies. I'll have to ask my buddy who was there helping the planting to confirm it for me.
    In our regs can you find the hunt number I can apply for in the big game permit drawing, to go hunt a Rocky Mountain Elk in 2013? I can't see it.

I've read the stats on what equipment previous hunters have used for various harvests on other species - great info for our F&G to provide to us - does anyone have a link that will show how last years Rocky Mountain Elk hunters filled their permits? What percentage, what equipment used, etc...

In our regs can you find the hunt number I can apply for in the big game permit drawing, to go hunt a Rocky Mountain Elk in 2013? I can't see it.

I've read the stats on what equipment previous hunters have used for various harvests on other species - great info for our F&G to provide to us - does anyone have a link that will show how last years Rocky Mountain Elk hunters filled their permits? What percentage, what equipment used, etc...
    I can give you the hunt number to hunt elk, but I think you can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I can give you the hunt number to hunt elk, but I think you can find it.
    No, King, I saw in GMU 8 some elk permits, but those are not Rocky Mountain Elk.

I used to work for a guy who had a sign on his office wall that merely said "Eschew Obsfucation". To follow his advice right now, I'd just have to briefly say that I don't believe there is any Rocky Mountain Elk hunting done here because there are no Rocky Mountain Elk here.

To attempt to discuss elk and Rocky Mountain Elk as the same thing does the animal a great disservice. If we're going to do that, lets just jumble all members of the deer family into one species and not ever differentiate between a deer/elk/moose/ungulate. But that makes no sense, does it?

I do understand that RMEF does have fund raising efforts here, and does tend a small project or two here (not involving hunting Rocky Mountain Elk).

Quote Originally Posted by Ak-pilot View Post
    Thanks Tom. I got that far into the website. I dont see a selection for raffle tix for the hunt. Only $20 tickets are for rifles, am i still missing something?
    Umm, nope you are not missing something......we are. I'll get on it right now and let you know when it is back up and available.

Sorry about the hassle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast