Thread: Outboard suggestions & possible modifications?

Default Outboard suggestions & possible modifications?

Howdy,
    I have an AIRE Power Traveler that I use for hunting. It has a maximum recommendation HP of 3. I used a loaned 2 HP Honda 4 stroke on it this fall and it did fair. Upriver travel was slow at best, 3.5 mph average with minimal gear. The Honda weighed about 35 lbs +-. I am looking at purchasing a 3.5 HP Merc or similar clone, 41 lbs.

Is there another outboard with comparable or better power to weight ratio I should look into? (Must keep under 50 lbs for shipping)

If this 75% increase is not enough are there any reliable mods that can be done?

Mod shops I could contact?

Thank you for any help
    -JR

Dunno the numbers, but there should be some weight savings if you go to a 2-stroke, if that's more of a criteria than HP. You could probably jump the HP without going over your weight limit. Better minds than mine will have to weigh in on that.

The current Yamaha F4 is 60#, but the models before 2011 were 47# which would be under your weight limit. Might be a good option if you can find one out there used. Still has the gas tank under the cowling which would be nice for the raft application.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Akfish1 View Post
    The current Yamaha F4 is 60#, but the models before 2011 were 47# which would be under your weight limit. Might be a good option if you can find one out there used. Still has the gas tank under the cowling which would be nice for the raft application.
    I will have to look into that...
    Thank you
    -JR

I too would look at 2strokes.I have a 3 1/2 merc that pushes a canoe great but with raft 9' no so good
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you