Thread: Sheep drawing odds?

Default Sheep drawing odds?

Anyone have any info on where I could find some info on drawing odds for non resident dall sheep tags? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by elkmasterwyo View Post
    Anyone have any info on where I could find some info on drawing odds for non resident dall sheep tags? Thanks in advance!
    Go to the Department of Fish and Game website, then to the permit hunt section. Find the drawing supplement. The last page of the supplement is the drawing odds from the previous season for all drawing hunts.

Excellent! Thank you very much! Looks like they won't be available until the end of the month?

The application deadline is December 15th. That is a new deadline. It used to be the end of the year. Expect permit winners to be announced in late February or early March....but they are usually late and with mistakes, so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by elkmasterwyo View Post
    Excellent! Thank you very much! Looks like they won't be available until the end of the month?
    Looks like it. The supplement from last year was up the last time I looked, probably a couple weeks ago. Just checked and saw the same thing you noted.

You can look at the older supplement, on average about 1 to 2 percent a few 3 and 4 percent with 6 percent being the highest for a rifle hunt and DS140 being a whopping 15 percent for a bow hunt. These are resident averages for 2010. PM your email and I can sent you the 2010 supplement.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

You do know that a good portion of the state is open to over the counter purchase, right? You just need to be accompanied by a guide or 2nd degree relative who lives in the state. As a non-resident, the cost between a drawing tag hunt (which are usually more accessible) and a harvest ticket hunt is probably not that great of a difference. Figure in the 13 to 15 years to draw a Wyoming bighorn tag, at $100 bucks a year, then the $2000 license when you do draw, and Alaska is somewhat of a bargain, plus you don't have to wait a decade and a half to do it.

Pm sent to stid2677, thank you!

wykee5, I am aware of the over the counter tags. I'm looking in to hunting with Steve Johnson, he guides in 14C and 13D, also in otc areas. What i plan on doing if i end up going with him is to put in for the draw areas, then if that doesn't work out i'll just hunt the otc areas. I recently went on my first mountain goat hunt in B.C. and now have the bug for sheep, only trouble is, i am only at 8 points in wyoming for bighorns, so it'll be quite a few years until i get a good chance at a tag! My sister is a lucky dog, put in this year for wyo bighorn for the first time ever, ZERO preference points and somehow drew! She ended up with a nice ram in the 170'' range too!