Thread: Keeping dog warm

Default Keeping dog warm

Wondering what you all do in the field while hunting to keep your dog warm.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

The best way is to kill stuff.

Otherwise, neoprene vest. And if you're in a blind or other fixed location, give them something dry and warm to lay on (kennel bed, blanket, straw, etc).

How cold are you talking about and what kind of dog... short-hair retriever?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

He's a young lab 14 months.
    i duck hunt until last day of the season.
    Never had a hunting dog before, so just Wana make sure I'm not putting him at risk to harsh conditions .
    I do have a vest for him . In past with friends they would use a heater to keep there dogs warm along with straw or mat.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Main thing is keep him out of the water. Put a vest on him and feel his ears to see if he is getting cold. Bring some towels too. I almost lost my lab when he was a couple years old due to hypothermia. Not even a cold day, but too much time in the water jump shooting. I still hunt him until ice freezes everything solid. As long as he can dry off, he is good. Of course a 14 month lab is hard to keep out of the water.

These days, I mostly keep him warm by letting him sleep on the bed. He only hunts the easy days now.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

During the day she wears her neoprene vest. I try to find a place for her to sit or lay on grass or moss. I've got a padded duffel I carry my mojo and gear in. When it's colder, I'll stuff that w/ grass and build a bed. When I get back to camp I towel her off and let her rest on my jacket or similar. At night she sleeps on a pile of my floatcoat, raingear, etc in her saddle blanket. If colder, I lay another coat over her. She likes getting snuggled in.
    Spoiled you say? Well, it's quite worth it to me not to have to go swimming myself.
    ARR

Another thought is a Wiggy's dog jacket - made with the miracle insulator lamilite, same as the sleeping bags. I got one from Taylor a couple years ago and use it like a sleeping bag for dog when we camp out in cold weather.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.