Thread: Possible birding trip

Kenai, AK

Default Possible birding trip

Hey everybody I'm looking at putting a last minute bird trip together for this week. I'm leaving kenai and would be heading north with my old dog 12 and my pup 6 month shorthairs i have never hunted north of the hay flats or spent any time in the woods where would you want to go I don't want to drive all the way to Fairbanks I was thinking Denali highway around tangle lakes or towards lake Louise glenallen area. I would like to get near some ptarmigan with my old dog my spots down here have a lot of mountain hiking involved and it's rough on him. I really just want to get out with the dogs and get on a few birds I'm happy with sprucies but would love to get out in the open with my old dog. Please give me your ideas I would be looking at a trip from wednesday to Saturday. Thank you jake

Well, I think you've already made up your mind on where to go and what to hunt for. A good choice, I'd say. But keep in mind how the weather on the Denali Highway can be tough this time of year and it can change to winter in a "New York minute." Bring a supply of dry firewood and kindling along with you.

Best of luck to you and your dogs. I hope they score big time.