Thread: 2012 moose hunt

Default 2012 moose hunt

it was an awesome hunt. took two nice bulls 58 and my 69. got charged by a sow with cubs, she stopped at 10'. boat ran great. did awesome on gas. was sleepin on the ground for 17 days. plannin is key as ive been puttin this hunt together for over a year. and i finally got my bull of a lifetime. will be hard to beat this one!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Yukon/Koyukuk hunt?

Those are some great bulls, hunt/trapak88! Great job, but the folks on this forum like stories and as much details of the hunt as you're willing to share. Tell us more!

17 days! Long time, sounds great. How about details on your boat that did great on gas as well.

im writing this pretty much as i wrote in my journal

day 1- left at 8am with 215 gals. very rough water. only made it 55miles all day. stayed at buddies house.

day 2- left early very still morning. made good time 28-32 mph depending on current. stopped and bought 70 gals of gas. no critters on river. perfect day for runnin, no rain. made it 330 milea today. slept in boat under a tarp after some noodles and instant taters!

day 3- left early when fog lifted. averaged 23-25 mph up crik being easy on motor. 4000-4200 rpm. switched over to 55 gal drums.got to hhunting spot around 12. dodged logs the whole run. hit hard once. no zig zaggin. straight lining turns in river. it was nice to reach hunting grounds.

day4- woke up early to bulls raking and grunting. they will respond but wont come out of woodwork. saw a 60+ on bank but we wernt ready. shot a frouse by camp. sure is nice to have a nice tent with a heater

day5- went to bed last night to bulls grunting. worked 3 different clearings off the water. same thing, will respond but wont show themselves.frosting at night now.

day6- water is rising. my stick i poke at waters edge is submerged. weird its still rising with it freezin at night. found a nice clearing off water a ways..looked promising. stayed till almost called. on walk out spooked a bull. got him to stop with raking and grunting. circled us at 50 yds and made the mistake of showin himself. partner liked him. one shot. 300 win mag.grt him in morning

day7- took care of kevins bull. what a body on him. hung meat. will run to village tomorrow and drop it off. i cant hunt for 5 more days

day8- dropped of his bull. gorgeous day. fished a lil, no luck. water still way high. easy running.

day9-12- hing around camp bsing and eating backstrap. called in a few. saw a marten chasin a squirell. bulls are starting to move!

day 13- rain/wind. blew hard all night. didnt even get out of tent till 10am. put on rain gear and tried to hunt afternoon. nothing moving in this weather.

day14- same. horrible weather. warm to. covered a little ground in boat. but this weather is ridiculous. saw some cows and a paddle horn. hward bulls grunting. where did them bulls go that were by the tent!!?

day 15- woke up and decided to put raingear on a actually hunt. worked every clearing my gps saw off water within 300 yds. called in paddle horn and cow. hour before dark it got calm and quiet. drifted and called. heard a bull rake. beached boat and went in to take a look. heard a cow bawl. can here her walkin in swamp. as we made our way towards her i raked and grunted. man she is bawling! got to edge of swamp and there he was right on her tail. i tried to use the oar as a shooting stick but i couldnt get steady. uaed a small pine, worked good. one shot. the thump of bullet echoed in swamp! its dark now. cows wouldnt leave.

the nwxt day we took care of him..it sucked. took us 9 hrs to dress him and get to boat. he was in knee deep water. following morning we packed up and boogied. stoppin at another buddies place for a while before we slept under a tarp on the bank. made it to truck at 8pm the next day. i put 1156 miles on boat. i have a 20' alweld with a 140 suzuki.

we saw 5 bulls that were 60+. one 100 yds from camp. saw alot of beavers and wildlife! no fish. while we were cleaning mine; the bull we heard rake the night before stopped and watched us skin his buddy...and he wasnt a small bull to say the least. i dont know exactly how much gas i burned but im guessin around 315 gals. i ran 21 p 4 blade with 3 spares of diff pitches. talked to alot of cool ppl and saw some awesome country! we packed realtively light, bgut still ate good and were comfy. i put my bull in the wasilla sportmans warehouse for the contest. i hope he does me well i couldnt be happier. and my partner was tickled to. he was a great guy to have along for pretty much being a stranger !!!!haha

What an Awesome time in the woods,...and water travel like that,.....that's Dream Land Hunting

any more pics would be cool,...and "Congrats,...sounds like you guys did it up Right"

Bull of a lifetime, no kidding,...
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

ive tried more pics. at work. ill try wheb i get home in a few days. i couldnt have wrote the trip better

Those are some nice bulls to be sure. Just wondering if you had to deal with much traffic? On our hunt we had a lot of other airboats running up and down. I didn't care for it much but we took a nice bull. Congrats on a wonderful hunt.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Very nice bulls thanks for sharing. One day I would love to do that hunt
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Those are some nice bulls to be sure. Just wondering if you had to deal with much traffic? On our hunt we had a lot of other airboats running up and down. I didn't care for it much but we took a nice bull. Congrats on a wonderful hunt.

where we were they were only a few boats(thats i saw) within prolly 50+ miles..but we were the only ones gettin out of the boat to hunt from what i noticed. i dont
    know why i cant get more pics to come up

Quote Originally Posted by hunt/trapak88 View Post
    it was an awesome hunt. took two nice bulls 58 and my 69.
    Nice bulls. Bit I have to ask....what is that black thing that looks to be taped with white tape to that point...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Nice bulls. Bit I have to ask....what is that black thing that looks to be taped with white tape to that point...???
    haha thats a paper towel with electrical tape on it. one of his points was almost broke off
    so my partner taped it to keep from losing it