Thread: recommended books on making snares?trapping?

Default recommended books on making snares?trapping?

I'll be at the cabin all winter, and one of the things on my list is to learn how to trap.
    I'm primarily interested in snares, as my income this year was not sufficient to indulge in many extra's. Snares, I know I can make.
    However I haven't found many resources online about making snares. Most are not written very well, or have no pics (I can use a picture better anyhow!)
    I have enough "stuff", around to get them built, and I've found some good tips and pics here.
    I was just wondering if there was a book that focused on snares. Most books I see tend to focus on leg hold traps.
    I thought I'd start out with hares and work up!
    Any info?

I have 30lb coated leader wire, picture hanging wire and washers for toggles.. just not sure of the best construction techniques...

Thanks...

reuben...

Where are you located? I know in Wasilla there is a good trapping store that has books and all the "stuff" needed to make as many snares as you want. And i do believe they have books and other stuff to inform you on how to set and where.

Closest town is Talkeetna. My vehicles are in drydock until spring due to the flood. Not enough funds right now to buy.. must use what is at hand...

Alaskan Trapper's Handbook. We have it in the store for $13.95 and postage. Covers all the furbearers in Alaska, different traps and how to set them up, plus lots of other background info. If you don't know how already, you might also pick up the DVD, "Alaska Guide to Fur Handling" by ADF&G. You can watch it online on their site, or purchase the DVD from our store AT THIS LINK. The cost is ten bucks plus postage. If we ship them both together your postage will come out to around $5.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I appreciate all the help and links.
    Right now i'm stuck with what I have for now.
    I think for smaller critters, the coated leader wire should work for hares and ermine.
    However I don't see much info on setting snares in any of the books I have from the library.
    I'm pretty sure I can come up with something, though....
    I'm mostly unsure about making a locking mechanism... or do I even really need one??

regards...

reuben..