Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat and motor size

Default Boat and motor size

I am in the hunt for a new boat ... it will be next year before I am able to use it but starting to look now.

1. I would like one big enough that I feel comfortable to run the Knik up and down while still using it in rabbit and the maud road lakes. I believe that a 14 footer with at least a 12-18 hp mud motor or a 20-25 hp jet...will work for that.... I think...never been on the knik due to current boat size. The above is really what I want as it would allow for a dog and a couple of hunters.

2. Can you put in the point Mackenzie area and motor over to the mouth of the Big and little Su.... never been over that way I know you can fly in over there but never hunted that area. If so what size boat would you need to be out in the inlet area and motor size? I would imagine that it will be bigger than I am really looking for but worth looking at.

3. I am assuming that the boats that would work for this side of the inlet will work for the Deska/ Su rivers for duck hunting as well?????

well there are some questions for you guys to post some opinions on .... I appreciate the comments and look forward to the advice.

Just one man's opinion, but call Anchorage Go Devil. I have a go devil surface drive boat and motor. The beauty is the Go-Devil boat. I've owed other boats and nothing comes even close. Take it everywhere it is legal.

I am not sure about the jet in rabbit. I heard they have a hard time because of all the mud and weeds but I have seen guys fly past me with jets. If it was me I would go for a mud motor just because it would mainly be a duck hunting boat and not a fishing boat

14 footer will be good for you and one other guy, and will get you into rabbit, and maud. The problem with rabbit is that you want the lightest motor you can get, because you will have to portage your boat. A small 14 with a light copperhead would be ideal for that area.

I would not use it to get to the mouth of the big or little su though, I would rather have a much bigger boat for that, because that area can get really nasty really fast.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I don't know of anyplace to put in at Pt Mac with a boat, i had thought of running from there to the big river in my airboat which would be no problem if i could carry enough gas to get back also. I know some who run across frrom anchorage to those rivers but they use bigger saltwater boats and you really have to be aware of the wind coming up and leaving u stranded. u absolutely can't use a jet in DL, but i had no problem in rabbit as long as i learned the channel which is pretty easy to follow. you really need 2 boats, i bought my 14 skif for DL, paid $250 at a auction last year, and use it with a 5 hp brigs. its a barge, but i love it, roomy and stable and light to portage. Bud
    Wasilla

HaloHandler and I have almost twin boats, I have also had jets and these boats are the best all around boat on the water in my opinion. Many hours on the knik,deshka,sue,rabbit slough kenai. Best boat Ive ever had

Quote Originally Posted by Halohandler View Post
    Just one man's opinion, but call Anchorage Go Devil. I have a go devil surface drive boat and motor. The beauty is the Go-Devil boat. I've owed other boats and nothing comes even close. Take it everywhere it is legal.

You will want a 14ft boat, light model specifically something light..under 250lbs, light mud motor or surface drive. You will not run a jet in RS or DL. Wont happen. With this boat you will not run to the mouth of the rivers from PT MK. the ramp there is washed out and very steep. So you would have to put in at Deshka..long run in a small boat and the river can be dangerous..you would have to feel it out..could it be done..yes..but not without risk. Hope this helps.

Most guys hunting DL have smaller boats, I think I have seen a couple of 16fters over there..but not easy to portage and difficult without some assistance. I have done my 14fter by myself and it is tough. I usally always take someone with me to assist..even with a winch(recommended for anyone who is going to portage) Small trailer axel with wheels will be needed as well for this, if not..then you will have to drag it about 40yards.

There is a couple of smaller rigs on Craigslist.. I think I saw a 12fter with a 6hp longtail..this would be ideal duckboat for DL IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by NDH View Post
    I am in three hunt for a new boat ... it will be next year before I am able to use it but starting to look now.

1. I would like one big enough that I feel comfortable to run the Knik up and down while still using it in rabbit and the maud road lakes. I believe that a 14 footer with at least a 12-18 hp mud motor or a 20-25 hp jet...will work for that.... I think...never been on the knik due to current boat size. The above is really what I want as it would allow for a dog and a couple of hunters.

2. Can you put in the point Mackenzie area and motor over to the mouth of the Big and little Su.... never been over that way I know you can fly in over there but never hunted that area. If so what size boat would you need to be out in the inlet area and motor size? I would imagine that it will be bigger than I am really looking for but worth looking at.

3. I am assuming that the boats that would work for this side of the inlet will work for the Deska/ Su rivers for duck hunting as well?????

well there are some questions for you guys to post some opinions on .... I appreciate the comments and look forward to the advice.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    You will want a 14ft boat, light model specifically something light..under 250lbs, light mud motor or surface drive. You will not run a jet in RS or DL. Wont happen. With this boat you will not run to the mouth of the rivers from PT MK. the ramp there is washed out and very steep. So you would have to put in at Deshka..long run in a small boat and the river can be dangerous..you would have to feel it out..could it be done..yes..but not without risk. Hope this helps.

Most guys hunting DL have smaller boats, I think I have seen a couple of 16fters over there..but not easy to portage and difficult without some assistance. I have done my 14fter by myself and it is tough. I usally always take someone with me to assist..even with a winch(recommended for anyone who is going to portage) Small trailer axel with wheels will be needed as well for this, if not..then you will have to drag it about 40yards.

There is a couple of smaller rigs on Craigslist.. I think I saw a 12fter with a 6hp longtail..this would be ideal duckboat for DL IMO.
    First of all thanks to all for the opinions....

Appears that the inlet to Su mouth is out as I expected and really not that big of a deal. Also would appear that to hunt duck lake you need a small boat. Funny thing is I have never hunted there even with the rig I have which would be perfect..... just never made it down there. Always found areas that were void of as many hunters.. guess hunting the birds that get flushed out of there.

With all of that said... I am assuming that the 6hp mud that DH01 mentioned would not be enough to run back up the knik? or the su very well. What do you guys think would be the minimum motor to do this with. I would love to jump into the 25-35 horse class but money and the ability to hunt the smaller areas are my two concerns. i would love to have a boat that I could hunt maud, rabbit, maybe duck and still run the knik su and deska. I understand the DL might be an issue with a bigger boat but was really hoping for a 14 with 18 hp mud would be the ticket. I understand that two boat are better but need to get one before I lobby for two.

Lastly ... what is dangerous about the deska?

A 14 with an 18hp copperhead would work, for everything except little and big su. If you do use the 14 at DL, bring another guy with you to help portage. Like DH01 said, a winch, and an axle will help a lot. I would run the Knik with a 20hp and not even think twice.

My question is, if you have a spot that is void of hunters, why move to another spot that is going to be filled with them? Maud and DL are hunted pretty heavily. I would much rather have a spot that I didn't have to compete to get into, and not worry about some other guy hunting it while I am at work, and shooting it out.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I think 14ft boat and big river are enough to keep me out..lol

I just bought a 12hp copperhead from Shallow Water Outboards in ER..going to put that on the back of an aluminum DH and think that will work on any river in AK. I am sure there will be challenges..but I will not hesitate as I do now with my 14fter and 13hp scavenger motor. I love the combo..but it lakes the speed I need. The scavenger will be for sale when I get back..if I dont ponder a way to make it a straight longtail and convert the round handle to a single one. I will just sell it as is..great motor with low hours, just afer I get the copperhead dont think I will every use it again.

First of all thanks to all for the opinions....

Appears that the inlet to Su mouth is out as I expected and really not that big of a deal. Also would appear that to hunt duck lake you need a small boat. Funny thing is I have never hunted there even with the rig I have which would be perfect..... just never made it down there. Always found areas that were void of as many hunters.. guess hunting the birds that get flushed out of there.

With all of that said... I am assuming that the 6hp mud that DH01 mentioned would not be enough to run back up the knik? or the su very well. What do you guys think would be the minimum motor to do this with. I would love to jump into the 25-35 horse class but money and the ability to hunt the smaller areas are my two concerns. i would love to have a boat that I could hunt maud, rabbit, maybe duck and still run the knik su and deska. I understand the DL might be an issue with a bigger boat but was really hoping for a 14 with 18 hp mud would be the ticket. I understand that two boat are better but need to get one before I lobby for two.

Lastly ... what is dangerous about the deska?
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I have a 14' with an 18 copperhead, it is a good boat...will run over grass with 1" of water. BUT when I'm coming back across maud and I see the 16' with the 35 horse going twice my speed with 3 guys and a dog...part of me wants that. It is hard to portage my boat with 2 guys, you have to have assistance of a winch, rollers, something. I am in the process of coming up with my form of assistance. I love my boat. I can get there and back, just not as fast as those big surface drives...then again with my 18 I do not worry about hp limits. But am limited by weight I can carry. I'll tell you that 2 guys, dog, decoys, guns and ammo is the max for my rig. Maybe it's my loading or my fault in some way but I'd like to carry more but dont think I can. I do like my boat a lot though, goes places jets can't consider. Like when I see a little vein of water in the Grass and can shoot through it where a jet would be screwed immediately.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    A 14 with an 18hp copperhead would work, for everything except little and big su. If you do use the 14 at DL, bring another guy with you to help portage. Like DH01 said, a winch, and an axle will help a lot. I would run the Knik with a 20hp and not even think twice.

My question is, if you have a spot that is void of hunters, why move to another spot that is going to be filled with them? Maud and DL are hunted pretty heavily. I would much rather have a spot that I didn't have to compete to get into, and not worry about some other guy hunting it while I am at work, and shooting it out.
    Ok ..void may have been a bit much of a word...ha ... fewer how is that. With that said I will still hunt these areas just want something that allows me to move around a little quicker and get to these spots quicker and it would afford me the opportunity to hunt some areas that I have never hunted. PLUS I just want a boat...... now it is what do I get... all this talk has about got me scheming to buy a very small boat and hopefully cheap for the slough duck lake etc.... and save for a little bigger boat with bigger motor for what I would proclaim as THE PURCHASE.... lobbying for these purchases is like politics it is all in how you present it.

By the way i met a guy in the slough the other day with a very large boat had to be 18 feet with a 30 to 35 surface drive ...super wide boat as well... i know that he did not portage that thing no way no how.... guess he could have been use it as a means of transpo to get to a spot then walk in but i have heard that can be questionable leaving your boat in the palmer slough just made me ponder where he might have been with that monstrosity. Also watched a guy run down the slough today in a lund boat with a 50 horse prop... not sure how far he made it but he was shooting down and really to fast as far as I was concerned.

Most of these guys..thats all they got. They go to areas they want to hunt, tie it up and walk in. The others use RS to get to the mouth of the bay.

Ok ..void may have been a bit much of a word...ha ... fewer how is that. With that said I will still hunt these areas just want something that allows me to move around a little quicker and get to these spots quicker and it would afford me the opportunity to hunt some areas that I have never hunted. PLUS I just want a boat...... now it is what do I get... all this talk has about got me scheming to buy a very small boat and hopefully cheap for the slough duck lake etc.... and save for a little bigger boat with bigger motor for what I would proclaim as THE PURCHASE.... lobbying for these purchases is like politics it is all in how you present it.

By the way i met a guy in the slough the other day with a very large boat had to be 18 feet with a 30 to 35 surface drive ...super wide boat as well... i know that he did not portage that thing no way no how.... guess he could have been use it as a means of transpo to get to a spot then walk in but i have heard that can be questionable leaving your boat in the palmer slough just made me ponder where he might have been with that monstrosity. Also watched a guy run down the slough today in a lund boat with a 50 horse prop... not sure how far he made it but he was shooting down and really to fast as far as I was concerned.

What color dog did he have?

Quote Originally Posted by DEMainah View Post
    What color dog did he have?
    I believe it was golden now that you mention it can not truly remember but I do remember the driver was a big guy and had a friend with him big as well and with a big reddish beard. I was more in awe of the boat really .... had a case of extreme covetousness. ha

Were you out there in a kayak with your wife today? My little boat, 16x40 with a 23 godevil serves me well, never been in the big su, nervous about that. I'll be selling the boat and trailer soon to get a 16x48 if your looking. Have a 25 merc 4 stroke jet that needs to go as well. Not being a salesman, and i am selling the jet cause i tried to run out of maud last year. Great for the little su, and rabbit slough, but to heavy to portage, and too much junk in maud to get where i wanted.

The big red beard gives it away, I (the captain) took a friend of mine out that had never never been. My dog is a choc lab named Guy, my boat is an 18x60 with a 35 surface drive. Don't recall who you were but I do know I pulled a guy off the bank that was high and dry. Yes my boat is bigger than most in rabbit but its what I got and in my opinion it's badass

I believe it was golden now that you mention it can not truly remember but I do remember the driver was a big guy and had a friend with him big as well and with a big reddish beard. I was more in awe of the boat really .... had a case of extreme covetousness. ha

Watch out, I'll me in the slough tomorrow, brown dog and a hot girl

Quote Originally Posted by DEMainah View Post
    Watch out, I'll me in the slough tomorrow, brown dog and a hot girl
    Be sure and report?!?
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Will do, did you sell a 3.5 in citori this year

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast