Thread: 2012 kodiak road system goat hunt

Default 2012 kodiak road system goat hunt

I arrived on kodiak on sept.16 to rain & fog. We headed out to our camp at lake rose teed, I stowed my gear in my tent which will be my home for the next 2 weeks. We decided to go and glass some differant areas to check for goats, we spotted about 70 goats in all differant locations so my spirits were high for the hunt. We headed back to camp to have some lunch & take alittle nap as I had flown allnight & did not get any sleep. After a short nap & lunch I noticed the ceiling had dropped Covering the top third of the mountain, no big deal still have 2 weeks to hunt I thought, little did I know what was to come, Did alittle fishing on the pasagshak river for silvers.
    Got up on monday sept 17 to clear skies went glassed for goats & decided to climb up on a group of goats for a better look, were about half way up and the ceiling dropped to 1000 feet sat there and waited for a couple hours but it did not raise all afternoon no big deal only day 2,

tuesday sept 18 awoke to rain & ne 45 mph winds with low ceilings no goat hunting today.

weds sept 19 awoke to rain wind & low ceilings again The weather forecast is for clearing tomorrow we are going to spike out for couple days weather suppose to be better.

thursday sept 19 wake to no rain but fog rolling in & out with limited visiablity we climb up to about 2000 feet & start to glass when the fog thickens & the ceiling drops to about 50 feet of visiabilty. Wait there for about 4 hours in the rain & fog. Time to climb off the mountain & hope for better tommorrow.

friday sept 20 Awoke to limited visability again with rain & fog climbed a differant mountain & waited for some clearing like the weather forecastsed. Nothing we waited up on the hill for 5 hours no clearing came back down, every day seems to be blowing either se or ne which generally means rain.

saturday sept 21 awake to rain & low ceilings again I have been here almost aweek now & have yet to be able to hunt goats. They are calling for nw winds which usally means no rain & high skies.

sunday sept 22 awake to no rain & I can see stars through the clouds, as it is breaking light we are climbing up the hill we get above the ground fog & it is beautiful no clouds & great visability. We spot a couple of goats after only 2 hours of hiking they are in a spot we they would be very difficult to retrieve. so we keep moving & spot a lone goat up on a peak a mile away time for a closer look. He dissappears over the cliff so stop & glass the whole area. I can count 58 goats from where I am sitting. nothing relly close so we decide to investigate where that goat dropped of to. We find him bedded in some rock cliffs we get to 256 yards & set up backpack & spotting scope for a closer look. he is sleeping in his bed totally unaware we are watching him. He is a billy not a monster, but a nice billy, We try to decide if I should take him or not, calling for more bad weather, I have been here 8 days & have been on the mountain 1 day hunting, Not the best place for reteival . What to do? I decide to try harvest him, do not pass up the first day, what you would take on the last day, He is bedded so I am going to wait for him to stand up. 3 hours later he decides to stand & stretch. I have my 340 weatherby set up on my pack, Fred says make sure he does not fall on the spot we need him to run about 20 yards $ come down a rock chute. no pressure. I shoot & hit a little low and he drops out of sight I can only see the top of his back. I try to circle up higher while fred watches the rock chute, I spot the goat but cannot tell weather he is bedded or standing Can only see alittle white hair so I climbed down to my orginal location & I see him standing on the edge of the cliff, I lay down and take aim & shoot & he falls out sight down the cliff at least 60 feet & dissappears. We watch the bottom of the rock chute & nothing. So we wait a couple of minutes & I start to hike over wher we last saw him fall, ther he lays he got caught up behind one big boulder. All smiles at this time. We take some pictures & I start skinning for a lifesize mount & take the 2 hind quaters & removed innards, cover him up , will return tomorrow to retrieve rest of meat & hide. Get back out to road as darknes hits.
    monday sept 23 Awoke to clear skies grabbed empty packs & headed out to the goat tokk 3 1/2 hours to reach goat, finished skinning & butchering , loaded packs to 4 1/2 hours to get back to road, started raining about the last 45 minutes otherwise weather was beautiful for 2 days.
    tuesday sept 24 Spent the day fleshing the hide & removing meat from skull. It rained allday

Weds sept 25 Awoke wind blowing 50 mph & rain took goat to fish & game 8 1/2 inches & 2 years old. It was wise to take the goat the weather has gotten worse so it would have been a challenge to get out the rest of the week.

thursday, friday & saturday spend looking for deer & fishing. I was on Kodiak for 13 days & it rained some part of 12 of them. It still is a beautiful place.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quality Taxidermy is not expensive it is PRICELESS

kodiak island goat 2012 027.jpgkodiak island goat 2012 033.jpgwere the goat was first spotted & laying on the pack watching the bedded goatwe

Congrats on your Billy! Take it you had area 478 looks like you had a blast and I have to agree the wx was not the best during that time frame. Once again congrats on a nice goat!

Quote Originally Posted by 10PTBUCK View Post
    I arrived on kodiak on sept.16 to rain & fog.,.....

I was on Kodiak for 13 days & it rained some part of 12 of them. It still is a beautiful place.
    Great Story,....gotta love your last sentence there

Congrats,...man your retrieval challenge, looked ominous,...glad it all worked out like that, Well Done
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Sounded like a great hunt in some iffy weather.
    Thanks for sharing always into a good read.
    Dan

Nice way to hang in there through "Kodiak" weather. Was he really only two years old or a typo? While not a monster he seems pretty good for just two years, nice goat either way!

Good job sticking that weather out and making your hunt happen, looks like you had a great time and got a fine billy! I will say that spot he landed in sure looked like it was a pain to take care of him in.

Leadworm, the biologist with Kodiak fish & game said he was 2 years old, he had another this fall from the road system that measured 9 3/8 as a 2 year old . They grow fast on Kodiak

bronco, Yes it was a pain skinning him for a lifesize, standing on rocks on a sidehill, trying not to step off the edge. I will always remember that spot.

Awesome billy! I'd be plenty happy with him.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Nice Billy! Are you Trevor's bro?

Nice work man! Those young billies eat well. Congrats.

Thanks for all the comments, It was an awesome trip, but that blacktail buck has still eluded me. I guess I will just have to go back to Kodiak

Kusko, I do not know trev

Awesome! Just freakin awesome!

I got a chance to visit kodiak for the first time this year and the beauty of that place is incredible!! Congrats on a wonderful memory. Care to share who you are having do your mount?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I am doing the lifesize myself as I am a taxidermist. When ever I can find the time to work on my own stuff. Customers first