Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Gun show at Palmer Raven Hall yesterday

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    201

    Default Gun show at Palmer Raven Hall yesterday

    Wife and I had gone out to Wasilla with daughter and dogs for some dog training. Ended up having about an hour to hoof it in to Raven Hall and have one fast swing through the AGCA show.

    Saw the normal dealers, a couple of nice but not remarkable collector displays, and a few friends. First person I saw past the entrance was a good friend talking to one of his buddies.

    Got to let Giles at 907 Surplus know that the Harris bipod I had bought back at the DAV show had helped me anchor a friend's caribou up off the Denali Hwy on opening weekend. Bought a can of Pakistani 7.62 de-linked MG ammo for a really good price. A decent enough wood stock for a Remington 700 SA in case I can't find a better one.

    And one raffle ticket; I would have bought at least two others but the people at those tables never made eye contact nor pitched a sale. I bought from the lady who -wanted- to sell me a ticket and initiated the sale. If you want to sell raffle tickets, you have to make an effort; there are a lot of things to spend my money on and I expect a certain level of involvement from those wanting me to buy their raffle.

    Saw a couple more friends, and then hotfooted it back to the car to get back to Anchorage when we needed to. They do have a shuttle van for those who don't want to walk, but I need the exercise, and it wasn't raining.

    And the drive was beautiful; I was reminded that we live in Alaska, and it is wonderful. Hoping the uncles will be able to go today; if so the wife will send me along for 'man time'. "Oh, OK dear wife. If you insist I will go to the gun show."

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    We drove up from the Peninsula for the show yesterday. Seemed to be less guns and ammo than a few years back. I was after a .223 or .243 and there were only a few there. All of them way too pretty for me to throw on a sled!

    I was surpised to see several used guns priced higher than new, not sure what is going on there?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default

    The timing was great but the show could have been better executed. I guess I should rejoin the AGCA and try to make it better rather than complaining - I did help run the show many years ago. A good show in Anchorage in Oct. should be a winner if well ran and promoted.

    As with about any show there were bargains to be had if one keeps an open mine. I picked up a RCBS Jr. press for $20 and a very nice new early P&R S&W .44 Mdl 29 8 3/8" barrel for $40. I didn't need either if them at the present but they were just too good to pass by.

    There was a very nice Mdl 98 sporter on one table for $250 asking. I looked it over, it was a German S/42 dated 1937 with a matching bolt - somone really screwed up a really nice K98 rifle many years ago. I also saw an excellent OM Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Mag for $450 - I nearly brought it home.

    There were a number of Redhawks in .44 Mag but didn't see one in .45 Colt. I was surprised that all but one of the Redhawks had the barrels in crooked to the naked eye; most of the .44s I'd looked at previously had the barrels in correctly.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,908

    Default

    Picked up a new in box (thats what i was told)new haven super express in a 458 for 850 bucks.. Pretty stoked

  5. #5
    Member duckslayer56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland...not by choice
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    I have a very specific gun list that I am looking for right now, Browning Gold 10 gauge, Sako Kodiak 375 H&H, Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 243 Win, and I am always on the look out for Colt handguns, Winchester Levers, and I have been trying to find a SXS 12 gauge that I can duck hunt with. But all seem to have full chokes, I just couldn't seem to find anything I was interested in. I did notice some antique decoys for sale, but I had no way of knowing how much they were actually worth vs. how much they were being sold for.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default Nice rifle

    I looked several times at that one- if I'd had some extra $$ I'd taken it home with me! Tried to get a friend to buy it also but he had two already.

    Don't know what they are worth retail but it was one nice rifle for the money. If one had the time to oil it up and stick it back it should be worth some serious money sometime in the future.



    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Picked up a new in box (thats what i was told)new haven super express in a 458 for 850 bucks.. Pretty stoked
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I looked several times at that one- if I'd had some extra $$ I'd taken it home with me! Tried to get a friend to buy it also but he had two already. Don't know what they are worth retail but it was one nice rifle for the money. If one had the time to oil it up and stick it back it should be worth some serious money sometime in the future.
    Used ones are selling for 1300... Some reason guys want the new haven guns...

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I have a very specific gun list that I am looking for right now, Browning Gold 10 gauge, Sako Kodiak 375 H&H, Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 243 Win, and I am always on the look out for Colt handguns, Winchester Levers, and I have been trying to find a SXS 12 gauge that I can duck hunt with. But all seem to have full chokes, I just couldn't seem to find anything I was interested in. I did notice some antique decoys for sale, but I had no way of knowing how much they were actually worth vs. how much they were being sold for.
    There was a screaming deal on a low 6 digit pre 64 Winchester 88 in a 308... Most have had there stocks cut... This was in **** good shape sn put in the 1958 yr. they wanted 650 for it...

  9. #9
    Member duckslayer56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland...not by choice
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    I didn't see it. I didn't get to go until today so it was probably gone.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

  10. #10
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    There was a screaming deal on a low 6 digit pre 64 Winchester 88 in a 308... Most have had there stocks cut... This was in **** good shape sn put in the 1958 yr. they wanted 650 for it...
    Ya it almost came home with me.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I didn't see it. I didn't get to go until today so it was probably gone.
    it was on the same side as Indian valley.. The table with the only stainless synthetic model 70 in a 375 if remember right had it..

  12. #12
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default Gun show at Palmer Raven Hall yesterday

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Picked up a new in box (thats what i was told)new haven super express in a 458 for 850 bucks.. Pretty stoked
    Man I wish I had yer $$. Don't you have a 7mm to build?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Man I wish I had yer $$. Don't you have a 7mm to build?
    Im just trying to survive... I got my wife a tikka lite in a 7-08 stainless she will like it...

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    201

    Default

    There was a nice Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08 with iron sights over on the far right side. Didn't look at the price as I couldn't afford it right now. Besides I want a S&W 5943 and a 5946 before another rifle.

    I decided I'm not happy with the stock I bought, so may check around at the fun stores for a used 700 SA wood stock.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,908

    Default

    That 7 was one of the older ones cause it was a 3 holer the newer ones have 4 holes for scope bases... All who you talk to one group says the 3 hole better than the 4 hole model 7. They wanted 550 for it...

  16. #16
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default Gun show at Palmer Raven Hall yesterday

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Im just trying to survive... I got my wife a tikka lite in a 7-08 stainless she will like it...
    Keep me posted. I'm looking at the same same.

    Also lookin at a 204 Ruger.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  17. #17
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Wow! 650 for a 50s model 88! That would have went home with me if I had been there. I wonder if it sold?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  18. #18
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    Dang, sounds like some good deals. I guess I should have went this weekend! Anyone see any Kimber rifles while there? I want one for this winter in 204 ruger or 223 rem.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Wow! 650 for a 50s model 88! That would have went home with me if I had been there. I wonder if it sold?
    If that 458 wasn't there I was going to get that 308 in that 88. There was a post 64 88 in a 284 for 1600... Was that a good deal depends who you talk to... The 284 in the 88 are very very hard to find production numbers were low...

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Dang, sounds like some good deals. I guess I should have went this weekend! Anyone see any Kimber rifles while there? I want one for this winter in 204 ruger or 223 rem.
    I know boondocks has a 223 and gng has a 204. You had to look for the deals.. A lot of overpriced **** I want to tell the guy who is selling the 1st generation vanguards for 450 bucks that sportsmans is selling them for 349.99..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •