Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mikes Quality Meats

Default Mikes Quality Meats

In all the threads I've read I really can't remember seeing too much feedback about Mikes. Ive stopped in over the years for choice meat cuts and have always been very satisfied with the quality of meat.

We decided to take our moose there this year. Standard work, good stuff cut for roasts and steaks, hamburg, some summer sausage, pepperoni sticks and brats.

Pepperoni/summer sausage and cheese is a major soft spot for me and Mikes hit a home run. I feel that for dropping off 675lb of primo meat on the bone our return was awesome, as it should be with every animal. 15 boxes I think?

Haven't had a chance to eat up some brats but we went Au Gratin. Hey don't have a specific recipe sober supplied bags of potatoes obrien and the Au Gratin mix from AK butcher supply.

I'll report back after I gnaw on some brats!!

So all in all, a great experience. I'd recommend them for other hunters.

Top job guys, thanks again!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349582573.123839.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349582595.861302.jpg
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Mike's does a great job. Have you tried the game bacon? Man it's good stuff.

James,

Sure didn't this was our first shot at game processing with them. Figured we'd keep it simple.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Who doesn't like pics, right?

Brats are awesome.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349591087.286912.jpg

Cast iron pan I see, way to do things right.

Yep that and the Dutch. Only way to go.

Had Mikes make a batch of bacon from our caribou. Turned out like Spam, which I love. The product was fully cooked and could be eaten cold or fried.
    Last year year we had Indian Valley make a batch of Moose pepper bacon. This product is more "chunky" , raw, and packaged when you pick it up.
    Two completely different products not sure which one I like better?!
    BK

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Mikes does produce a good product...but I've definitely received better customer service at other shops. I don't hesitate to buy retail from Mikes, but for game processing...well....

The thing I didn't understand about Mikes is he charges the same as everyone else but doesn't package the finished product when everyone else does. Not knowing that upfront and leaving town and having your wife pick it up can cause some issues back home.

I agree with Bronco. I brought my caribou to Mike's, the brauts turned out good, but I had to repackage everything once I got home.
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

I will admit, I've got a 50# block of frozen brats to deal with, eating them all without getting freezer burnt means half thawing them all then vacuum packing.

Other than that I'm pleased with the work, taste and delivered product.

Breakfast sausage is stellar!!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    The thing I didn't understand about Mikes is he charges the same as everyone else but doesn't package the finished product when everyone else does. Not knowing that upfront and leaving town and having your wife pick it up can cause some issues back home.
    I had the exact same problem this year, and lets just say the little hotti was really hot when she opened the boxes and seen the work ahead of her. I was frustrated but the meat is awsome. The guy there argued with me when I asked for jalepeno pepperoni sticks, said it sounded good but they don't make them. I asked to do what he could to make it happen since I knew he had to be wrong. Let me tell ya, the best jalepeno pepperoni stick I have ever had. Great flavor with just a little bite of heat. Everything else we got is very good too. This was my first time using them and I will use them for sure for my burger and pepper sticks. I want to try Alaska sausage next year for summer sausage.

Mikes summer sausage is awesome. Only complaint is I only have 6 sausages.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Mikes summer sausage is awesome. Only complaint is I only have 6 sausages.
    If you like Mikes you will love Pioneer Meats jalapeno mozzarella summer sausage!

I had a bad experience with Mikes, and won't use them anymore. I took my caribou to Bear Mountain Meats in Palmer. He is new and just starting his business up. He is on the forums and asked all of us how we would like our butcher to be. He built his business on that model. I couldn't of been happier with the meat I got back. He doesn't do fully cooked sausage though, so I would go to Pioneer for that AWESOME Jalapeno Mozzarella summer sausage. I don't think anybody on the planet can beat that stuff!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I had a bad experience with Mikes, and won't use them anymore. I took my caribou to Bear Mountain Meats in Palmer. He is new and just starting his business up. He is on the forums and asked all of us how we would like our butcher to be. He built his business on that model. I couldn't of been happier with the meat I got back. He doesn't do fully cooked sausage though, so I would go to Pioneer for that AWESOME Jalapeno Mozzarella summer sausage. I don't think anybody on the planet can beat that stuff!
    Thanks for the kind words Duckslayer! We are in the process of buying a LARGE smoker . Almost every customer asked if we offered smoked sausages /pepper sticks this year so we will be offering this service next year along with vacuum packing. Thanks again for your business !
    Owner of Bear Mountain Meats Game Processing .
    907-745-4756

I took my caribou from last year to Mikes and they did a great job. The breakfast sausage is awesome and the polish jalapeno and cheese sausage is amazing as well. I will continue to use them when I can. They charged me about $90 less than they were supposed to and once I got to the truck I realized it. I went back in and told them I still owe money and the owner had one of his guys go into the back and give me a huge amount of mooseroni sticks he had to say thanks for not cheating them. Thats the main reason I will continue to use them. Most places if you were to say oh I still owe you money they would collect there money and send you on your way. Great Folks to deal with for sure. The meat all turned out great too. I have no issues at all with Mikes

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by YotaTRD4x4 View Post
    I took my caribou from last year to Mikes and they did a great job. The breakfast sausage is awesome and the polish jalapeno and cheese sausage is amazing as well. I will continue to use them when I can. They charged me about $90 less than they were supposed to and once I got to the truck I realized it. I went back in and told them I still owe money and the owner had one of his guys go into the back and give me a huge amount of mooseroni sticks he had to say thanks for not cheating them. Thats the main reason I will continue to use them. Most places if you were to say oh I still owe you money they would collect there money and send you on your way. Great Folks to deal with for sure. The meat all turned out great too. I have no issues at all with Mikes
    He gave you someone else's mooseroni to say thanks for not cheating? How do you think that guy feels?

Recently bought some reindeer fire dogs from Mikes. Got home and opened them and they were bad, as in stunk and spoiled. Stopped by to let him know and assumed he would refund the $ or give me another 4 pack. Didn't happen. The counter guy said bring them back and we'll see if they are bad and deal with it from there. Well I tossed them in the trash already but had the receipt and that still wasn't good enough for them.
    I will no longer use or promote Mike's meats. It was little item but the service was piss poor.
    BK

Yota, also wondering who got screwed by them giving you someone else's moose stix meat.....doesn't seem right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    He gave you someone else's mooseroni to say thanks for not cheating? How do you think that guy feels?

From what he told me this was from a man who had the mooseroni made up and didnt pay for it after 30 days he still didnt pay and gave some to me as he had more in there for sale. I wouldnt have accepted it had it belonged to someone else because I know how I would feel if someone got my meat as well. Im not saying they are the best place ever. I had a good experience with them and so I posted about it. im not sure why you guys are assuming they screwed someone else. Also I am not defending them either way I just posted my own personal experience is all. I hope that Im not being accused of being shady or a dirtbag just because I have had good dealings with them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast